PDA

View Full Version : Going from Salt to Fresh

manboat
12-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi Guys,

I am a keen saltwater fisherman with many hours clocked up but we are going to Lake Borumba soon and I am going to have a go at some freshwater fishing. I went and got a nice light spinning rod with some lures and bits. I also dusted off the fly fishing gear from when I was a kid so will pack them for the trip.

Any tips anyone can give me transitioning from salt to freshwater?

Thanks

Apollo
12-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Similar concepts - target structure (weed, drowned bushes, timber, rock walls, lillies in the fresh)and/or target fish on the sounder. General rule, work lures and flies slower than you do in the salt. Probably need to be a bit more accurate in the casts but the up side is that tides are much less of an issue. Drop into Imbil on the way through to Borumba Fishing and Outdoor (on the right) and get the good oil and a map, plus what lure is currently working. You can pick up your Impoundment licence there too if you don't already have one.

It is a very pretty place.

Steve
(http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php?action=profile;u=692)

GBC
12-07-2010, 05:53 PM
make sure your shirt matches your pants (no shorts)
whatever hp is on your boat - you'll need at least another 50 odd for impoundment work
If you can't see 1.5 sounder screens from any given point of the vessel you're a gumby
"I went and got a nice light spinning rod with some lures and bits. I also dusted off the fly fishing gear from when I was a kid so will pack them for the trip" - talk like that is simply not hard core enough - you'll require at least 6 rods in your quiver.Sorry - I'll get flamed by the freshies again and will deserve it too - apparently setting up a berley slick in the basin is NOT the go.:P

Just jokes - impoundments are tricky to work out, but the views are great and hearing cows moo while watching the sounder is just plain creepy.

Apollo
12-07-2010, 06:11 PM
make sure your shirt matches your pants (no shorts)
whatever hp is on your boat - you'll need at least another 50 odd for impoundment work
If you can't see 1.5 sounder screens from any given point of the vessel you're a gumby
"I went and got a nice light spinning rod with some lures and bits. I also dusted off the fly fishing gear from when I was a kid so will pack them for the trip" - talk like that is simply not hard core enough - you'll require at least 6 rods in your quiver.Sorry - I'll get flamed by the freshies again and will deserve it too - apparently setting up a berley slick in the basin is NOT the go.:P

Just jokes - impoundments are tricky to work out, but the views are great and hearing cows moo while watching the sounder is just plain creepy.

Guess that is why I don't fit in!:-[ Very funny reply though.

jason p
12-07-2010, 06:39 PM
lol gbc funny stuff, your in the ball park with that 1. man im realy going to be the odd 1 when i put my off shore rig in the dam lol. owell i cant aford the new outfit for the impoundements so it will have to do. alot of the freshwater fishos certantly do it in style i must say.

jp

GBC
12-07-2010, 07:05 PM
They're just jealous mate - you're not a man until you've cleared the spread to whack a tag into a big cattie you nabbed on a skipped bony bream off the port rigger. (I've got to stop drinking on Mondays.......);)

Outdoor Guy
12-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Funny stuff GBC LOL
Manboat
all the stuff Apollo has said is true just one thing i can add with fresh keep it as quite as your surroundings
with salt theres always noise from surf or big boats or something, its very peacefull on a dam so the fish will hear you if you make to much noise

manboat
13-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Great thanks guys, looking forward to it