PDA

View Full Version : HH 565 L prestine, a beauty!

Jarrah Jack
10-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Wish I knew how to post a link.......>:(

But.. just saw an immaculate condition 565L on boatpoint for 20k. Looks to be in as new condition 2nd owner. Underpowered with a 115 Ocean Pro 40hrs but what a boat. Used to have one for off the shelf work. Used to call it the Porsche of the sea.

What would be the perfect motor for this ,200 horses sounds about right..Four stroke may be too heavy. Dream on. The Mrs is in Brisbane at the moment all I would need to do is compose the right SMS.

I WANT I WANT I WANT

STUIE63
10-07-2010, 07:17 PM
JJ simply highlight the web address then copy and paste
them HH's are nice boats
Stuie

Jarrah Jack
10-07-2010, 08:20 PM
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8952070

Thats the one ..Thanks for that Stuie

STUIE63
10-07-2010, 08:42 PM
sure is a pristine condition classic . I reckon it would go just fine with a 115 as well
Stuie

Gon Fishun
10-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Very nice Jarrah.;D reckon you would be beside yourself with that in the drive. :PCan see a big S/S fuel tank down the back, duel batts, rocket launcher. When do you pick it up?:D The basic designs haven`t changed to much over the years. I guess when your on a good thing , stick to it.;)

Jarrah Jack
10-07-2010, 08:59 PM
I had a 175 on mine and it was a bit slow.:)

theangryangler
10-07-2010, 09:02 PM
what would the BMT tow weight be on a haines like this?

Gon Fishun
10-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Bloody sure I read somewhere Jarah Jack is NOT a speed freak.::)

ozscott
10-07-2010, 09:22 PM
These look like such a nice hull. Classic Haines. Jarrah - what speed did you cruise at and top out at? I have a Jeff Webster Mag - one of the later ones - where he notes that they ran with as low as 115hp and best power was 140 with max 200hp. I dont doubt what Jack says though which makes it interesting and shows that you cannot compare hulls and power. For eg that Mag says 650kg and 22 degrees over 5.65 metres. My Vagabond is over 6m, 800kg plus hull and 21 degrees and runs to 63kph and cruises at 45-50kph with a 115 Yammy V4. The Yammy V4 though is a sweet nicely tuned engine that has heaps of torque and I reckon more power than a straight 4 115 like the Merc.

Having said all of that one of Jeffs Mags - and older one - said that best power for a V16C was 115....I had an inline 3 cyl Merc 2 stroke on mine (2000 model - repower) and that was heaps of grunt but more importantly a V4 or straight 4 to get the 115 would have been WAY to heavy on that very low slung transom with BUGGER ALL freeboard (mine was a 72 model).

Cheers all

PS. Love talking about boats...they are just such a thing of beauty

ozscott
10-07-2010, 09:23 PM
what would the BMT tow weight be on a haines like this?

Mate - Jarrah might know better than me, but the Webster Mag says 1200kg weight on trailer estimated. I would have thought with dual batteries, winch, carpet, and big anchor etc and all the gear it should be higher than that.

Cheers

ozscott
10-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Just had a gander...very very nice looking rig. Jeez those early Haines transoms were low...reminds me of the 16c but a little higher. For my money I would like that rig on a dual axle trailer, but there isnt much in it in that regard...single should do but she is getting heavy enough to warrant a dual if you are towing far.

Cheers

deckie
10-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Best Haines ever made.
Just so much u can do with them and will always look and ride sweet....or just do nothing.
Luv that model.

Jarrah Jack
10-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Ozscott is right about the trailer, that should be dual axle no doubt at all but thats not the fun part anyways.

TAAngler... I don't know what the BMT weight would be. When I had mine things were pretty simple on the roads back then.

Now the fun part. My mate had a 200 Yami on his and he always went past me on the way back from the shelf if it was a glass out type of evening. We would both race flat chat and he would win. For this reason I think the 200 is the go. You will always beat the guy with the 175.

How fast were we going? This was before GPS and the speedo business on the basic sounder...I don't know because I never looked at it. We would go so fast that all your attention was on controlling the boat and enjoying the run. If you put your head above the windscreen then your face would distort..In the end I found the fishing never went close to the joy I got from those runs with the sun setting behind old Drom near Bermagui. Thats nostalgia for you.

My boat was only a few years old and without doubt the one in the ad is better.

Wait till Dodgy sees it.

theangryangler
11-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Saw this one a while ago seems pretty nice what do yall think??
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Boats/Power-Boats/Power-Boats/AdNumber=TP003348290?BackToResult=true&AdOnTop=
Newer trailer at least and dual axle
I want this one look s gun!!1

ozscott
11-07-2010, 09:41 AM
That one looks very sweet mate - its a 580L so a bit bigger...dont know if it rides the same. I would be putting tabs on it. Did the later ones - like the one above it seems - have a walk around gunwale to stop you having to access the prow through that awkward looking hatch (was it awkward?).

Cheers

Jarrah Jack
11-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Looks a good one . pretty sure I've seen it on fleabay as well . You just have to be sure about the dreaded rot , thats why I like ones that have been stored inside all there life. Fresh water is not good for em.

dodgyone
11-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Sure is a lovely looking rig. Just needs a new 200 on the back, fresh electronics and a set of outriggers and you would have a top class pocket sportfisher.
And drop a fuel tank where he had the lifejackets stored.

theangryangler
11-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Yeah pity i got no money though haha:'(

tunaticer
11-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Obviously this boat is not sitting in its usual residence, or it has had a major revamp if that is it's home. No boat would not deteriorate sitting outside like that.

It looks too good to be in good nick to me.

Duckfish
11-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Hi Jarrah,
You will find that the max rated HP for that boat is a 175hp Motor. I insured mine about six years ago with Club Marine and the sheila said that on those sort of boats, they were only rated to 150hp. So luckily I still had a brouchure on the boat and it was listed that the max HP was 175hp. Top boat though. I am in the market for a new trailer and have been sussing out an aluminum trailer built in the States, sold in Maroochydore by a mob called Tubeseek. Its only a single axle trailer, rated to 1.58 tonne ATM so I am going to put my on a weighbridge just to make sure. I have a 175hp EFI Merc on it and it tops out about 83kph which is plenty fast for me. It cruises at 3800rpm at about 25knots and fuel at those revs is 1.2kms per litre. Happy as pig in s**t.
Duck

Jarrah Jack
11-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Hello Duckfish..Any pics I may not be able to buy but I allowed to look apparently. Is yours origional or has it had a refurb.? I knew my mate was cheating when he used to beat me, although Ozscott reckons that they were rated to 200.

Duckfish
11-07-2010, 08:05 PM
sumfile:///I:/Documents%20and%20Settings/hello/Desktop/Haines%20Huinter%20Photos%20565L.jpg

Duckfish
11-07-2010, 08:05 PM
file:///I:/Documents%20and%20Settings/hello/Desktop/Haines%20Huinter%20Photos%20565L.jpg

Duckfish
11-07-2010, 08:29 PM
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/2295/haineshuinterphotos.jpg

Duckfish
11-07-2010, 08:33 PM
After much muckimg around finally bad to get my kids to put the brochure on for you guys.
Duck

Duckfish
11-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Some photos of my rigfile:///I:/Documents%20and%20Settings/hello/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Don%27s%20folder/Don%27s%20Boat/my%20boat%203%20(Small).JPG

Duckfish
11-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Hi JJ, Just some photos of my rig. Still original. No refurb. Duck

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9493/myboat3small.jpg

Jarrah Jack
11-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Now I remember I've seen it before. Love the paint scheme. Works well with the hull shape.

HH565L
12-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Hi Jarrah,
You will find that the max rated HP for that boat is a 175hp Motor. I insured mine about six years ago with Club Marine and the sheila said that on those sort of boats, they were only rated to 150hp. So luckily I still had a brouchure on the boat and it was listed that the max HP was 175hp. Top boat though. I am in the market for a new trailer and have been sussing out an aluminum trailer built in the States, sold in Maroochydore by a mob called Tubeseek. Its only a single axle trailer, rated to 1.58 tonne ATM so I am going to put my on a weighbridge just to make sure. I have a 175hp EFI Merc on it and it tops out about 83kph which is plenty fast for me. It cruises at 3800rpm at about 25knots and fuel at those revs is 1.2kms per litre. Happy as pig in s**t.
Duck

Not sure where that JW information came from. Early 565L's were rated to 240hp and I have an original brochure from Haines Hunter which confirms that.

Mine's a 1983 model and has 185kW (240hp) stamped on the rating plate. I am currently running a 200hp EFI Merc and it tops out at 89.7kmh when lightly loaded. Pic below.

From what I understand they were re-rated to 200hp in the mid/late '80 ie probably around the same time hp measurements changed from 'at the flywheel' to 'at the prop'.

Current 565 copies eg Edencraft & Formula Power Boats rate to 175hp due to the higher weight of four-stroke outboards.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z14/HH565L/My565368.jpg

HH565L
12-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Here's a link to another JW article where the rating is stated to be 200hp.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd271/Barnicle_bucket/2008_09080003.jpg
(http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd271/Barnicle_bucket/2008_09080003.jpg)

HH565L
12-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Took a bit of searching but I managed to find it.

Look closely at the specs. Outboard capacity 179kW (240hp)

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd271/Barnicle_bucket/2008_05050027.jpg

Jarrah Jack
12-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Very nice boat Spiro, are you thinking of selling it. What do you think of the one on boat point?

Cheers

HH565L
12-07-2010, 09:36 PM
I've been thinking of selling, but still unsure about what to upgrade to if I do. Wanna make me an offer :)

The one being discussed here looks pretty good, but I would encourage anyone thinking about buying it or similar to do all their costings first. 20 grand is pretty reasonable if the boat is in good nick and the purchaser is happy to leave it as is. But if he/she is looking to upgrade outboard, trailer, electronics and various other bits and pieces, the investment could blow out to over 50 very easily.

The thing with 565's though is they don't come up for sale too often so if you're looking and you see one that you're keen on, don't think twice. It's only money after all!

Pazz01
13-07-2010, 08:41 AM
I might have the better version - the 635L for sale shortly ;D , well its always for sale at the right price, maybe or maybe not.

But HH565L, you make a very valid point, re purchasing and putting a new trailer, outboard, redoing hull and transom, it all adds up pretty quickly and you may not recover it if you sell it. That's the hard decision you have to make with these ones, and it's the decision we are looking at too at the moment.

Pazz

HH565L
13-07-2010, 01:59 PM
I might have the better version - the 635L for sale shortly ;D , well its always for sale at the right price, maybe or maybe not.

But HH565L, you make a very valid point, re purchasing and putting a new trailer, outboard, redoing hull and transom, it all adds up pretty quickly and you may not recover it if you sell it. That's the hard decision you have to make with these ones, and it's the decision we are looking at too at the moment.

Pazz

Nice boat the 635 but certainly not as much fun as a 565 with the right power :P

Yes, projects are a good thing and I would encourage everyone to give it go at least once in their boating lifetime. But costs do blow out and you need to think things through very carefully before taking the plunge.

It's also interesting how one thing can lead to another. For example I wanted to repaint mine, but as I knew the floor, stringers and transom had never been replaced, it did not make sense to do it up cosmetically first.

Also, when you do floor, stringers, transom, re flo kote and speckle the inside, repaint the outside, it does not make any sense to put any of the old corroded stuff you took off back on. And so it goes. The project therefore grows legs very quickly and can become very expensive.

I firmly believe if you've got your heart set on an old classic there are 3 options available to you:

1. Find one that is rotted out and very cheap (project boat)
2. Find one in origianl condition and keep it that way (maintain it only, maybe add a few new bits and pieces here and there)
3. Find one that's already been restored and is being sold at a reasonable price.

Jarrah Jack
13-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Good points there for anyone buying any secondhand boat really. I went for the second option with my 16r and its probably the riskiest, cause if something goes wrong it soon becomes option 1 with the wrong price.

Thats why I like the one on boatpoint. First I thought it had been painted but if it is as its looks, origional, with a 40hrs motor then it could be a rare beast indeed. Only a close inspection would tell.

I've seen other pics of your boat 565L and its easy to see that not much expense was spared.

Blane11
13-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Hi HH565L,

I couldn't agree with you more, I bought a 565R last August, knowing full well it needed some transom work, but I got it for a steal and planned on doing the work myself.

Now after the transom, I'm almost finished replacing EVERY stringer, then floor, some extra bulkheads.........the list goes on and on and on.

Although its been an enjoyable experience so far, it scares me everytime I sit down and think of what's left to get it to a state I'm happy with, or just get it to a state thats useable.

After only ever owning a couple of aluminium boats, I'm hanging out to get this thing back on the water.

Your boat looks great by the way.

Cheers

Brett

NTMID8
13-07-2010, 07:41 PM
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9004818

Loving this one for the money

HH565L
13-07-2010, 09:45 PM
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9004818

Loving this one for the money

Now that one started at $42k (if I remember correctly) about 18 months ago.

Give him a call and ask him if it was rebuilt ie new floor, stringers, transom etc before it was repainted. ;)

HH565L
13-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Good points there for anyone buying any secondhand boat really. I went for the second option with my 16r and its probably the riskiest, cause if something goes wrong it soon becomes option 1 with the wrong price.

Thats why I like the one on boatpoint. First I thought it had been painted but if it is as its looks, origional, with a 40hrs motor then it could be a rare beast indeed. Only a close inspection would tell.

I've seen other pics of your boat 565L and its easy to see that not much expense was spared.

No expense spared but all within budget ;)............and I still have the original 150hp Merc V6 Black Max at home, which unfortunately I spent $3,500 re-doing before the 200hp EFI came along.

Floor, stringers and transom and stainless work were done by pros, everything else was done at home. It was the only way to keep the cost from blowing out.

HH565L
13-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Hi HH565L,

I couldn't agree with you more, I bought a 565R last August, knowing full well it needed some transom work, but I got it for a steal and planned on doing the work myself.

Now after the transom, I'm almost finished replacing EVERY stringer, then floor, some extra bulkheads.........the list goes on and on and on.

Although its been an enjoyable experience so far, it scares me everytime I sit down and think of what's left to get it to a state I'm happy with, or just get it to a state thats useable.

After only ever owning a couple of aluminium boats, I'm hanging out to get this thing back on the water.

Your boat looks great by the way.

Cheers

Brett

Now that brings back some memories. Keep pushing ahead, you'll absolutely love it once you've got it on the water......I doubt you'll ever go back to a tinny :)

NTMID8
13-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Now that one started at $42k (if I remember correctly) about 18 months ago.

Give him a call and ask him if it was rebuilt ie new floor, stringers, transom etc before it was repainted. ;)

If hadnt recently bought my boat i would have saved more and bought a HH, but i bought the HS instead. Now that i have it though i would like a bit more room but i wouldnt dare bring that conversation up with the minister of war/peace and finance this early after buying it lol:-X

Jarrah Jack
14-07-2010, 09:17 AM
From now on NT call it a safety issue not a fishing room thing, thats how some of the boys get their bigger toys. There's more to the formula, that I don't know, but thats a start.;) It should be written on marriage certificates.

NTMID8
14-07-2010, 05:38 PM
From now on NT call it a safety issue not a fishing room thing, thats how some of the boys get their bigger toys. There's more to the formula, that I don't know, but thats a start.;) It should be written on marriage certificates.

I think if i were to broach this subject it would be my safety at risk!;D;D;D

She is dead keen on kids and that was delayed 12months after i spent the savings on the boat;) So i think its best to make do with the sig then get a bigger one later "for the kids":D

matt fraser
17-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Here is another one, looks pretty nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HAINES-565L-2003-MODEL-115HP-YAMAHA-4-STROKE-/290454483360?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Boats&hash=item43a06fb1a0

Matt