PDA

View Full Version : Only at the boat ramp.

Gon Fishun
05-07-2010, 05:55 PM
3rd time out with the new ( used) boat, V16C Haines with 115 Evinrude, still sorting out fuel problems, water leaks etc etc but getting there. Had a good run from Spinnaker at Bribie up to Buckleys and around . Got back to the ramp, was a bit of a smarty pants and drove the boat onto the trailer, wifey hooked on the winch and starting winching inthe last few feet, jumped down and took over then SNAP:P the webbing snapped at the hook and boat wants to get back in tha water. Not a hope people spun around from every where to assist. It was really great to see and be with good hearted, considerate, caring people, who are few and between. Thank you all.:D
Also got the Ausfish stickers on the boat today and it looks great.

charleville
05-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Also got the Ausfish stickers on the boat today and it looks great.

It sure does!

I have always found people to be very helpful at ramps also. Most people are basically good. Some silly things happen at ramps including ramp rage but I reckon those same ragers would change their priorities when they saw someone in need.

Good luck with your next trip. :)

Jarrah Jack
05-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Glad to read that it went well in the end. Can you tell us more about your boat. I've got a 16r with a 70 zuk. Is the transom and floor ok? How did it go? Looks like a good boat to me.

finga
05-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Looks like a good boat to me.
Looks like a ball tearer to me :D
Any other pictures??

Glad people came to your assistance. Makes you believe in humanity again :)

As a side note have you tried to winch your boat on instead of drive on??
We have a 5m Bertram and we always winch it on and off.
Just seems a lot easier to me and saves the trailer a lot. :)

Luc
05-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Always found plenty of help at boat ramps unless you act like a Dhead.

Time to upgrade from a webbing starp to a spectra winch rope.

Luc

Jeremy
05-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Glad to your you didn't get your bum smacked on the ramp. Get some spectra dyneema rope to replace that seatbelt style strap. I had one of those give out on me on the highway after only 2 years.

115 would make the V16C fly? I have a V146C with 60 merc, and it goes well. BTW, mine is orange and white also :thumbup:.

Jeremy

bugman
05-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Your making me cry.

My first boat other than tinny was a 16C. I loved that boat. Awesome riding boat and I felt safe 40km out to sea. Only problem was the small fishing room available. I had an old 140hp on mine and went like the clappers.

Unfortunately she sunk:'(

Yours looks great - enjoy her for as long as you can.

Brett

dreemon
05-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Your making me cry.

My first boat other than tinny was a 16C. I loved that boat. Awesome riding boat and I felt safe 40km out to sea. Only problem was the small fishing room available. I had an old 140hp on mine and went like the clappers.

Unfortunately she sunk:'(

Yours looks great - enjoy her for as long as you can.

Brett

Did you ever get it back to land? was that a mision?

I've found even jetskiers help at the ramp :-? and can be such spankers on the water. . .

Gon Fishun
05-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks for your replies everybody.
The boat had been bought by a second hand antique dealer that I cut a bit of glass for his display cabinets. How it all came about, his fathers sportscraft 15 foot hal cabin was parked up under this mango tree. Now his partner buys a few caravans , very old ones, cleans them up and sells them for little profit. Well I saw it and thought it would be a bit better than my 11ft clark comet, which I still have. He offered it to me at a good rate which I could not refuse. Now this might be a bit confusing but my son had an 11 ft tinny with blown merc. he needed a boat . I bought a 12 ft fibreglass with top removed and floor cut out ready for new ply and transom. SOOO I gave the son the little fibreglass boat, after we fixed it , took his tinny, put my 4hp mariner on it then traded it plus $ for the half cab which has a 75 Chrysler on it. whew. I will attach a pic of it. Well the Half cab has been great
. The son has a 9 yo daughter and 6 yo son and wifey who like to go boating and fishing. Little fibreglass is to small for family, kids get bored and no room to move, So we start looking for a half cabin for son. Now this antique dealer has done a lot of fishing and crabbing around Bribie and realised the little tinny he traded wasn`t big enough for him, his son, and grandson and pots so he bought the Haines and put it under the mango tree . Well he was gonna do this and do that to it and I pestered him for 18 months:P until he gave in, The tarp over it never came off and they started to use it as storage. :'( He asked if i would like to be it::), maybe if price is right. Any hoozle it`s Mine;D.
It`s a 16 ft half cabin Haines Hunter 1970`s I think, 1983 V4 115hp Evinrude.Mate it goes like the clappers now. ;D
Had to fit new steering cable & helm. The original seats were square boxes with a bit of padding on top and not screwed down. I had adjustable swivels in the old boat which are good if you are sitting for hours, stops the bum from chewing peanuts. So i have fitted new swivel pedastels and fold down seats. Forgot to mention:-? we were looking for a half cab for the son not me, anyway son gets my old boat ( cheap ) ;).
Gave it a good clean up, ran motor, new plugs, all the gear in, off we go. Head out of spinnaker turn right, half way to Bribie bridge on the plane and she starts dying, choke on she picks up, Under way about half or less throttle is all she will do. Back to the shed have a long think, Don`t really want to pull 2 twin throat carbies off :-?so look into fuel pump and decide to fit electric with regulator::). 2 days later give it a try out, same problem:(.Back to the drawing board. Definately felt like fuel starvation so pulled the carbies off and found gunk in the needle and seat of one carbie. Put it all back together, adjusted everthing, set the fuel pump pressure and out we went last sunday. Got half way out of mariner , sucking air from fuel tank so no go.:( but had spare fittings to fit on and cured that problem,;) got out into the passage and the starvation was still there so screwed the pressure up and she took off like a rat up drain pipe.:o
I now know she is running good but not real happy about electric pump, so wnt to Northside marine and got a fuel pump kit, have fitted that and will go for another run later in the week.
It does have a problem with a lot of water in the bilge which I am looking into. The hull sides appear to be very good, the transom is really solid. There are stress cracks on the hull and a repair the needs investigating. A bilge pump is going in this week also as a precaution.
Gotta get some sleep now.

Gon Fishun
05-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Bugman
Sorry to here about the watery grave, it freaks me out thinking about it.
Jeremy .
I put a new winch strap on it today and I always have a safety chain on.

Feral
06-07-2010, 04:44 AM
Its certainly a heart stopper when the ol winch cable breaks! After it happened to me I doubled the breaking strain of the wire on the winch, I keep the tether rope handy on the front of the boat, so its just a quick lunge to grab it if need be.

Jarrah Jack
06-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the explaination Gon Fisnin. ...I had a 115 on mine for a start and it flew, the crew got too scared to find its top speed. Used too much fuel especially without an underfloor tank.

Just check that the bungs are sealing properly as a start for the water problem. Just buy a new set and put some vasoline on them. If its not that then..... ah well.

You can have a lot of fun in that boat finding what it is capable of. Going downhill into some decent waves with a bit of trim will put a grin on your face. Just take it easy till you learn the habits of the hull, a real buzz machine.;D

bugman
06-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Guys,

I had mine for about 5 years and I loved her to death. She came to a watery end one night at Tangalooma in a BIG storm about in 2002. We were safely on the beach but unfortunately she was one of quite a few boats that went under that night.

For those asking she was risen by us the next day and re-floated and towed to Brissy by the Coastguard. It was written off by the insurance company and sent to Melbourne to be auctioned we were told.

Mine was around an 1980 hull with a 78/79 Evinrude 140hp v4 on the back it was a bit arse heavy but went like a rocket. Could never really carry enough fuel to go anywhere very far. I caught a lot of my first first fish of species in that boat and it will always hold fond memories.

Brett

Vitamin Sea
06-07-2010, 01:41 PM
G'Day

As another ex-owner of a 16C she certainly looks like a good-un. Only had a '70 rude on the back of mine and she went well enough, good donk if you ever re-power would be a DI 90 hp.

They punch well above their weight, don't be frightned to put the hammer down a bit in a chop either.

Also a set of tabs would go well.

Cheers & happy boating

Bill

ozscott
06-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Nice boat. I had a V16C also. 1972 model with a 72 model Merc 650 at first...what a heap. Then I stuck on a new 2000 model 60 Merc...she went nicely with that. They were a great hull going flat out. At rest a bit tender. The transom was low on mine, but all round loved it.

Cheers

ozscott
06-07-2010, 03:06 PM
here she is

Pridey
06-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Im quite happy to help anyone at a boat ramp.

Especially the idiots... they usually take even longer to recover and get out of the way!

Vitamin Sea
06-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Mine to

Liz with the Flattie 30/07/01 at South West Rocks

Cheers

Bill

Gon Fishun
06-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the images guys,:).
Boys toys, (and girls);) don`t ya just love em.
There is something about owning a boat , driving a boat, fishing from a boat or just cleaning your boat, gives me a shiver up me spine.

ozscott
07-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Nice shots Vitamin C of the boat and hound - I have 2 GSD's one a long coat.

I attach another one - showing the difference in forefoot design between my V16C and the Vagabond. The Vag has 2 strakes versus the HH's 3. Deadrise was very similar at 21 for the Vag and 21 from memory for the HH.

Gon Fishun - mate all true - it must be the smell of the bilge that does primordal things to us.

Cheers

Jarrah Jack
07-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Ozscott..How long ago did you sell the boat. The transom and all that had been done hadn't it. I would have brought it..I would love to find a pristine 16c, the R was easier to find.

Cheers

Vitamin Sea
07-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Nice shots Vitamin C of the boat and hound - I have 2 GSD's one a long coat.

I attach another one - showing the difference in forefoot design between my V16C and the Vagabond. The Vag has 2 strakes versus the HH's 3. Deadrise was very similar at 21 for the Vag and 21 from memory for the HH.

Gon Fishun - mate all true - it must be the smell of the bilge that does primordal things to us.

Cheers

Hi Scott

Yep Jake tends to feature in most of my fishing and boat shots, never wants to be to far away from the action.

Doesn't the 16 look tiny compared to the Vag, same would apply to my 16 next to my 19

Cheers

ozscott
07-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Jarrah - it was about 5 years ago mate - maybe 6. The transom was like concrete as original. I had the floor, bulkhead and bunks fully re-done - Holloways down the Coast. I cut the floor out and cut out some 1 inch bulkheads out of structural ply and he did the rest. She was very clean and tidy and the 60 was sweet. Bunks were big enough to sleep in.

Vit C - mate yep they do look small side by side - the Vag was as far back as the V16C too in that photo. The thing about the the 19-20 foot older hulls were that they were about twice the weight as the 15-16 footers. Good to see your GSD like to fish. My male is into everything, but my girl just likes to be close and take it easy. The male is great fun camping. The girl gets a bit bent out of shape with other dogs and men for that...

Cheers