PDA

View Full Version : Test overheat alarm

Jarrah Jack
05-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Just a quick question. About to service my 40hp 01 mariner/merc/tohy. How to I test the overheat alarm? Read you should to it every service. I want to know if the whole setup is working as I suspect it isn't.

Cheers and Thanks

Fish Lips
05-07-2010, 09:32 PM
I don't know if it's the same for every boat Jack, but on my boat if you earth the buzzer wire, the buzzer will work.
I use a simple automotive test light.

you know the ones that look like a screwdriver with a sharp point and a wire out the back attached to a bulldog clip.

cheers
simmo8-)

Steeler
05-07-2010, 09:59 PM
I know its not going to help you out here and now but one day when bored i hopped on our local councils website and went to the libraries site and found almost all the clymer books for Mercs & Mariners.

Maybe check out where you are and borrow a copy and spend a bit of time scanning all the various sections you want and create a file on your pc and printout as required.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

Steeler

weeman
06-07-2010, 09:38 AM
Not sure where your temp sensor is located on that motor, You could either earth the harness side wire that connects to the sensor/switch with the ignition on or remove the sensor (leave wire connected) and earth the earth contact part of the sensor then drop the sensor into a kettle with a themometer in the water then boil and see what temp the buzzer go's off.

Jarrah Jack
06-07-2010, 09:52 AM
I know its not going to help you out here and now but one day when bored i hopped on our local councils website and went to the libraries site and found almost all the clymer books for Mercs & Mariners.

Maybe check out where you are and borrow a copy and spend a bit of time scanning all the various sections you want and create a file on your pc and printout as required.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

Steeler

Thanks Mate

You like your Clymers, Noelm only likes the genuine article. I've been reading the Seloc on the Zuk and its a bit confusing with the manual covering so many motors in the one book.

Thunderace2
06-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Thanks Mate

You like your Clymers, Noelm only likes the genuine article. I've been reading the Seloc on the Zuk and its a bit confusing with the manual covering so many motors in the one book.

go to readmanuals.com and buy the orginal in PDF for $8 US, all good !!!

Jarrah Jack
07-07-2010, 09:42 PM
go to readmanuals.com and buy the orginal in PDF for $8 US, all good !!!

Thanks for that....I brought the manual for the zuk and good value for what you get. Better than the Seloc but being on the computer much harder to access the info for me anyway. Not like going through a book at all.

I'll print up a few pages and see how that goes but not the whole lot at 350 pages. There're in this machine somewhere I hope.