PDA

View Full Version : Pre Season GameFishing TuneUp's

the baker
04-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Well it is that time of the year, when we in the Game fishing fraternity start thinking about doing that maintenance stuff. That keeps things running smoothly for the season ahead. So if anyone has any tips or tricks that has helped them over the years post them up. Weather it is a small job or a big job things like Reels, Rods, Line, lures, Teasers, Boats, electronics, anything.

Dave.

sleepygreg
04-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Assuming your gear has been sitting idle for six months, and the boat has been gathering dust on the trailer/mooring, here are some 'to do' things to add to the list. Others I am sure will add to this.

Tackle

Measure and check all leaders/knots/crimps
Check/sharpen all hooks on pre-rigged lures
Service/get serviced all reels (whether you think they need it or not)
If your line on reels has been there for more than two seasons....replace it.
Re Tie all doubles
Check tackle boxes/lockers for adequate supplies of hooks/swivels/leader material/crimps etc
Make sure crimping pliers, offset pliers, side cutters are rust free and working.
Sharpen all knives.
Pre make live bait rigs etc.
Check on Tag poles/needles/tags....make sure you have correct tags/needles for Billfish/non billfish/etc (dont wait until first tournament to restock tags...do it now)
Check all rods for cracked guides, sevice rollers.
Make sure all clips on harnesses are working.
(make sure all deckies/crew do the same with their gear)

I will leave the boat owners skippers to do the list on boat prep.

Greg

jeffo
05-07-2010, 06:17 AM
The joys of living in Queensland is that the "season" never really finishes. They just get harder to catch and you have to look a bit more! We jumped a blue off last weekend for only a few hours trolling.

Greg, looking through your list I was having to do alot of those things on a weekly basis this year. My Favorite Tiagra 16 got re spooled 3 or 4 times, we went through a few hundred live bait rigs and had the boats serviced a few times! haha. Such a CHEAP sport!! I need to take up tennis!

the baker
08-07-2010, 12:41 AM
That list there will get things started Greg.

and you are sure right Jeff that it is an on going thing with the preparation and if you are fishing hard it doubles.