PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Thoughts

bowrider540
03-07-2010, 08:53 PM
I am seriously looking into selling my Horizan Bowrider and getting a cabin fibreglass boat have been looking at Yalta Craft and also Tournaments. Yes I know there are a few posts in here with these boats but nothing recent. Would love to hear peoples thoughts what is better for a family, fishing, skining boat. I am in Rockhampton so would be out around the islands and also down to Awonga for skiing etc.

Main reason for upgrade is for protection for my daughter she is 2 years old and loves the boat but fair skin and our sun does not mix. Plus I can keep an eye on her a lot easier in a cabin boat.

I was looking at the Yalta Craft 1800 All Rounder and the Tournament 1750 both would probably have a Yammy 115 on the back. The sales guys for the tournament are still trying to talk me into the ETEC.

Love to hear anyones thoughts and ideas

Duckfish
04-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Hi BR,
I would seriously be looking at Signatures, Haines Hunters and Cruisecrafts. I know they cost a bit more but thay are well worth it. If your heart is to stick with the above, I'd pick the Yaltas. My two bobs worth.
Duck

Lancair
04-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Ive recently had a really good look over both, taken a test drive in the Tournament 1750 and Tournament 1800 and . . . well, Im waiting on a Tournament 1800 to be fitted out to my specs.
The ride differnce between the 1750 and 1800 Tournaments was chalk and cheese. The 1800 is longer (duh) has more beam and heavier, way more stable at rest and just handled the big cruiser wake and mess that can be found on the seaway so so much better. The 1750 just felt, well, little. It wasnt very stable at rest and just didnt feel right to me, it banged in the chop and well . . . I didnt like it.

Sure the Yalta 1800 was cheaper than the 1800 Tournament but it looked it too. Marine Tune basically wanted a deposit to give me a test drive and only avail with a yamaha. There are more Yalta's around to look at 2nd hand pricing and read reviews on etc, but they've been around longer. Resale on the Tournament boats is an unknown, they havent been around long enough. Even as the original Mustang brand, they're hard to find 2nd hand. To me that says either, they didnt make very many or those who have one are very happy and not selling them.

Warranty and construction with fibreglass stringers and foam filled on the hull of the Tournament is another point that tipped my decision. As well as the 5yr non declining warranty on the Etec.
I looked at 2nd hand CC, haines and others, but for the around the same money Im getting new.
My finance company wouldnt split the deal, ie boat from one supplier and motor from another and I preferred the Etec over the Yammy old school 2 banger. Servicing cost on a Yammy 4st far outweigh oil cost and servicing cost on the Etec. Id have to tow a Yammy at least 45km to get it serviced, Etec is less than 5k from my house, Plus having had a 40 Etec, I love em.

Having said all that, if it came down to (dollars) choice between only the Tournament 1750 or the Yalta 1800, Id go the Yalta.

Lancair

hellboy
04-07-2010, 01:23 PM
gday bow.
ive recently had a test ride in a 1750. I thought it was pretty good, but after my 395 tinnie, ALL boats that size seem good. I must admit that the ride was alittle bit hard at times tho. What did impress me was the ETEC - smooth, quiet, hardly any fumes. Having said that, i'm now gonna buy a seafarer - more expensive I know, but u really get what u pay for.
I'm not sure how well tournaments and yaltas are for resale - might be worth taking that into consdieration as well.
Hope u are happy with whatever u go for.
cheers
noel