PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Boat Trailers

Duckfish
03-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Hi Guys,
What are your thoughts about aluminum multi-roller boat trailers? I went fishing on Tuesday and on the return trip home while winching the boat on the trailer, I fell into the drink not once but twice. I know I have had a stroke but it was sure slippery at the bottom of the ramp. I figure that an alloy trailer would probably outlast me. So what would your recommendations be? I've got a Haines Hunter 565L.
Duck

haro274
03-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Check out Peterson Boat Trailers, great price and well made to last a lifetime.

www.petersontrailers.com.au (http://www.petersontrailers.com.au)

Jarrah Jack
03-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Great boat the 565, wish I still had mine. Portsea marine brings over shipments of alloy trailers from the states , Aus complient.
. Nothing wrong with the trailers at all, pretty bad how long some of the gal ones last now.

Hornet Rider
03-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Duck, that falling over sounds a bit crook mate, what was your deckie doing? Take it easy, do you wear those rubber booties, not too bad on slippery ramps & wet trailers, gal or ally.

cheers, HR

gr hilly
03-07-2010, 08:01 PM
my mate slipped under my tinnie last month on a brand new ramp on straddie amity point it was like ice a very fine moss at low tide he hurt himself pretty bad i had to pull him out from under the boat i think we have to find a new type of none slip foot ware for ramps years ago i used to screw beer bottle tops to a pair of work boots to rock fish we have to do something my mate now has hip trouble its no good any other ideas would be good but ill be floating the boat on and off the trailer from now on axle under and all.
cheers Hilly

Hornet Rider
03-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Hilly, dunlop volleys usually work, but here's a couple of other options.

http://www.getprice.com.au/Scuba-Diving-5mm-Scuba-Diving-Non-Slip-Zipper-Dive-Boots-Gpnc_178--44351971.htm

http://www.tigergrip.com.au/index.php?page=1

cheers, HR

wrxhoon
03-07-2010, 09:50 PM
I have a USA made ally trailer under my Trophy , she is 5 years young and will probably last another 25 . 140mm I beams , all crossmembers are bolted to the I beams with S/S bolts, checker plate ally guards bolted on ally barckets and Gal steel drawbar and winchpost. She has torsion bar suspension, no springs to rust, 15"alloy wheels so the 275mm veneted S/S rotors clear the wheels and S/S calipers. Its not a cheap setup but the only work I did so far is check the bearings ( I have genuine bearing buddies ) and replaced the ceramic disc pads .
I have S/S sleeves on the stubs so they don't rust and let the water in the hubs.

I didn't bother with S/S hubs, I have gal hubs and normal plated studs but I use blind nuts so the studs don't rust and they easy to remove.

Duckfish
04-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Hi HR,
My deckie was in the boat to get ready to drive it up once I had it line up to the end of the trailer. Thats why I am thinking about a drive on trailer. I had one when I had my Outsider 550 but not with the Haines. I had a look at the Dunbier Alloy trailer and it looks pretty schmick. I think it would last longer then a steel one thats why I am thinking about getting one.
Duck

gr hilly
04-07-2010, 11:05 AM
it will be easy for me when i get the Hydrofeild on the water its trailer has 4x 13 ins wheels as rollers you cant miss them.

Hilly

Duckfish
04-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Hi Hilly,
You lucky fella. Wished I had a Hydofield. Maybe one day when I win the Lotto I'll buy one, a 5.6m Hydrofield would be nice.
Duck

gr hilly
04-07-2010, 12:29 PM
i was lucky and snaged a little beauty its a sandfly 14.4 with a 500 podd on for the motor giving alot of space for a small boat.
cheers hilly

Wet Work
04-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Bummer about falling. Some ramps need a bit of a scrape now and then so they dont get so slippery.

i am amazed that people dont drive their boats onto trailers. If you are using a half decent ramp it is silly not to drive on. If you have poorly set up trailer it might be tricky to drive on but there are plenty of ways to mod your trailer so you can drive on easily.

If you are retrieving your boat alone you simply need to fit one of the catch thingies to your trailer and boat. I have seen these on sharkcat and especially hydrofield trailers and they work a treat.

Captain Seaweed
04-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Dunbier make one I have ordered for my Noble, will see the trailer this week hope its good. FYI $15k for aluminium trailer for a 7.5m boat. I have not seen a multi roller full aluminium trailer only skid type like the Peterson. Mine has aluminium frame and gal roller holders. Either way will see how it goes.

Marty

bigfella23
05-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Dunbier have just released a new Alloy trailer called Glider Alloy . Comes in 6.5-7.5m sizes so far. All welded cross members.
Worth a look, they dont have the flex that the USA style ones do.

Alchemy
05-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Origin Boats are building aluminium trailers, so you could give them a call. Here is a pic of one they have there at the moment.