PDA

View Full Version : Show us your outrigger installs!!

Ross_685
03-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Hey guys,

My Reelax bases and 16 foot poles arrived during the week. So now its time for me to have a crack at installing them.

I thought I would check on here before I got stuck into it though, as Im sure there are a number of tips and secrets that I should know to get the most out of them.

If anyone has any photos of how they installed their bases, specifically how you reinforced them, that would be perfect!!

Also, any information on the angles and start/finishing positions of the poles would be really appreciated.

For reference, they will be going onto our Noble 685.
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/7972/img4095z.jpg

At the moment, I am thinking of mounting them on the corners of the hardtop, about a foot forward of the rocket launchers??

Thanks in advance,

Ross

Midnight
03-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Gday Ross,
We need to know which bases you bought??

Cheers,
Myles

P.S love the photo, what a beautiful spot. Where is it?

Ross_685
03-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Photo was taken in Jervis Bay, next to Murrays Beach boat ramp from memory!
Love that photo!!:) :)

Mate the bases I have are these ones.
http://www.reelax.com.au/product_thumb.php?w=0&h=&img=images/6.1.jpg

They are the gunnell mount type. I figured that If i played around with angles I'd be able to run them on the roof of the hard top.
Is this possible? Or should I stick to using them on the sides of the hard top??

the baker
03-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Hey Ross,

Mount the basses as high as you can so you do not take away from the walk around capabilities that you have. On the top of the hardtop would be a look so you can put a solid backing plate on the bases and it can be sealed well. There is a fair amount of leverage on those bases.

good luck mate you will love em when you get the install done.

Dave.

the baker
03-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Ross

You would not need that much more height with the tip of the rigger, mounting from the top of the hardtop

trueblue
03-07-2010, 02:49 PM
I've been doing a lot of research on this subject as well.

Make sure the gunwale mounts are where you can reach them easily........ so you don't drop the pole in the water when adjusting them while out fishing. A mate of mine lost a pole and base with this type of unit.

cheers

Mick

gofishin
03-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Ross, setup/geometry can vary a bit by preference (and depends on intended use too; bait, lures, tag lines Y/N etc), but generally when they are set most like the tips in line with the transom (or behind), higher tips for lures and skip baits, lower tips for swim baits. Depending on the type of bases, and how you orientate them (horiz or vert mount), you can change angles/heights with some (like yours), to an extent. A few years ago there was a two or three part series on outrigger setting up in F&B, think it was on a ~25’ Powercat – search their website if you want to check it out.

Your hardtop or the aft supports would be the perfect spot, as it would not interfere with ‘walkaround’ access, however, I would consult with Noble first. Ally hardtops (or their supports) do tend to be prone to cracking. With a set of riggers swinging off the top it can make it a whole lot worse. They may provide you with some guidelines as to where you can fit them (without affecting warranty).
Cheers
Brendon

stabi 659
03-07-2010, 06:25 PM

This is how i had mine set up on my lasy boat. Mounted half way up the targa bar. I will be doing the same on the stabicraft as they are easy to access and move around. Travel with them at 45 deg angle as they bounce around a bit with some swell travelling.

sailfisher580
03-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Ross,
I've got a 5.8m Alloy C/consol with alloy hard top. I mounted my rigger's off the hard top.
I would mount them forward on the hard top so that you can tension them up nice and so that you have your rigger lines separated for ease of setting lines in a hot bite.
When you set up the angles, choose your fishing height/angle so that the tip of the rigger is slightly forward of the transom - doing this will alloy you to tension them up and pull the tips back in line with them transom (think about how flexible the poles are when doing this). Your base will not be running bow - stern but rather angled out somewhere near the forward quarters (angled out about 45 deg.)
I'll post some close up pic's of my set up for you to have a look at if you want.
Here's some pic's of my boat with the riggers in use.
SAILFISHER

MyWay
03-07-2010, 08:55 PM
my were on gunnels
on you boat i would not fit on top of roof i would fit them on side of cabin 2/3 up or on 3th 1/4 somewhere there
dont just fix basses straight up choose your angle carefully

Getout
04-07-2010, 07:12 AM
I have been back and forth on this subject a few times. I started with gunnel mounts low on the cabin sides, then up on the targa top. 3m poles , now 4.5m ones. The gunnel mounts down low are too hard to walk around. Up high, they busted up my targa, and were hard to manage. The reef riggers are easier all round.
Do yourself a favour and flick the gunnel mounts. Buy a set of reef riggers and mount them on the cabin sides. They are surprisingly neat and you can easily remove the poles for travelling or those days when you don't need them. They don't get in the way any more than the gunnel mount does. It will be difficult to re-position 16 ft poles at head height on a set of gunnel mounts mounted on top of your targa whilst bobbing around on the ocean.

John Buoy
04-07-2010, 09:11 AM
I have been back and forth on this subject a few times. I started with gunnel mounts low on the cabin sides, then up on the targa top. 3m poles , now 4.5m ones. The gunnel mounts down low are too hard to walk around. Up high, they busted up my targa, and were hard to manage. The reef riggers are easier all round.
Do yourself a favour and flick the gunnel mounts. Buy a set of reef riggers and mount them on the cabin sides. They are surprisingly neat and you can easily remove the poles for travelling or those days when you don't need them. They don't get in the way any more than the gunnel mount does. It will be difficult to re-position 16 ft poles at head height on a set of gunnel mounts mounted on top of your targa whilst bobbing around on the ocean.
Ditto to the above :)

jeffo
04-07-2010, 10:02 AM
For ease of use id mount to the side of your cabin. When you hook a fish and fight it off your stardboard bow just fold that rigger up and out of the road and you still have walk about qualities. The biggest mistake 99% of people make is having their rigger tips to low. We constantly chuckle at people trolling around where there riggers are the same hieght or LOWER than their rod tips in the holders. I reckon more than half of all trailer boats with riggers have them to low and are wasting their time in using them.

Ross_685
05-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks a lot guys!

Some great responses and the photos really help.

I am thinking that a properly reinforced hardtop mount might be best suited to our set up?

Keep the ideas and suggestions coming!!:)

Midnight
05-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Gday Ross,
Mount them as high as you practically can. The higher they are the better you lures and skip baits will work. As far as the angles, you want something pleasing to the eye when they are stowed and some angle up and back when deployed. Don't worry too much about where the tips end up in relation to the transom if you are going to use taglines.

If you can get 2 helpers for the install it will make life easy. 1 is ok, but it is damned near impossible to do on your own. You need someone to hold them in place so that you can step back and view from a distance.

I used 20mm teflon cutting board as a backing plate to spread the load behind my Reef Rigger bases.

Have fun with it.
Cheers,
Myles

MrWong
06-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Hi guys
I am at present doing exactly the same project
Fitting same gunnel mounts to a 5.8 AMM Hard top Cuddy.
I have been delaying - scared to drill a hole lol
This weekend it is gunna happen ........

I am going at this stage with fitting on the hard top cabin on the sides at rear mid way up

Look fwd to seeing more info about this with drill in hand lol

theangryangler
07-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Dont know anything about the outriggers but i do know that pic is marvelous. that is now on my list of must fish places just from this photo!