PDA

View Full Version : How do you pick a scammer?

Tracker
03-07-2010, 08:43 AM
I advertised the 650 sig lastnight on b point and received a text at3.30 this morning.
Got me thinking,is it a scam?if so how do you tell?
Anybody who has been through this got any advice .
I did a google on the address and come up as a suspected scammer.(so did one on mine SAME RESULT)I guess we are all suspects on that site.::)

PS will be sold only with inspection and face to face contact.:)

Hornet Rider
03-07-2010, 08:51 AM
I advertised the 650 sig lastnight on b point and received a text at3.30 this morning.
Got me thinking,is it a scam?if so how do you tell?
Anybody who has been through this got any advice .
I did a google on the address and come up as a suspected scammer.(so did one on mine SAME RESULT)I guess we are all suspects on that site.::)

PS will be sold only with inspection and face to face contact.:)

Tracker,

How did your google indicate the address as a suspected scammer?

cheers, HR

Steeler
03-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Tell em you don't deal via text and if they are a serious buyer pick up the phone and " talk " to you.

Out of curiosity browse other sights and see if your listing has been copied on other selling sites such as gumtree etc.

Steeler

Daisy Burnett
03-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Mate
I had scammers trying to do the job on me when I sold my old savage last year. A few points to look for are: Scammer being elswhere such as off shore and not able to inspect the boat but they really trust you... Getting a transport coy to pick up the boat for them sight unseen... Only being able to pay by PayPal... and I dont mean to sound racist with this comment but, If they say their name is Fred Nurk or some other good auzzie name but their english just seems strange, be suspicius.
I eventually got sick of it and asked my guys to give me a home phone and the name off his boss (he was working off shore) so I could do some checking. I never heard from him again of course.
There are plenty of real buyers out there just be patient.

Good Luck
Daisy

gr hilly
03-07-2010, 09:15 AM
it is so hard to pick a scammer look at Gillard the biggest scammer in the country
Hilly

Tracker
03-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Tracker,

How did your google indicate the address as a suspected scammer?

cheers, HR

I put address into google and this came up..www.suspectedscammers.com/viewall.php>:(

Tracker
03-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Tell em you don't deal via text and if they are a serious buyer pick up the phone and " talk " to you.

Out of curiosity browse other sights and see if your listing has been copied on other selling sites such as gumtree etc.

Steeler
not yet,(but still checking)

Angla
03-07-2010, 09:48 AM
All the above + if the phone number given is wrong or not contactable or even no phone number.

Cheers
Chris

Hornet Rider
03-07-2010, 09:50 AM
I put address into google and this came up..www.suspectedscammers.com/viewall.php>:(

Tracker, didn't know that site existed, thanks. Here's a very nice looking 650, ;)

cheer, HR

propdinger
03-07-2010, 12:04 PM
it is a good looking boat isnt it. ::) inside and out.

i bet we get heaps of spam emails if the first days efforts are to go by something like 4 in the first 12 hours

oldboot
03-07-2010, 12:10 PM
The bloke who turns up on time, puts cash in your hand, provides ID, fills in the rego TX papers and tows the boat away....is less likely to be a scammer.

;D

cheers

brisbane_boy
03-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Looks like a brand new boat, never seen a fish over the side, does it work pmsl

Razgo-
03-07-2010, 01:38 PM
i get a lot of those txt messages and the return number starts with +44 which is the UK. all scammers.

if they txt and say send me an email if your interested then they are scammers.

russ

Tracker
03-07-2010, 01:42 PM
WOW. looks like sold allready:):):) NOT:o
just received this

Thanks for the swift response...I am willing to buy the Boat now and i will like to know your Last price and the pics too ..But due to the nature of my job and location...i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.

As for the payment..i will be paying you via the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal).

I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included.

You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com.au (http://www.paypal.com.au/) and sign up. its very easy.I await your reply asap.

Tracker
03-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Looks like a brand new boat, never seen a fish over the side, does it work pmsl

a very good detail by Dave (blackened) and a few helpful hints.(like ,,wash the bar..ard sometimes;D;D)

Benben86
03-07-2010, 01:59 PM
just received this

Thanks for the swift response...I am willing to buy the Boat now and i will like to know your Last price and the pics too ..But due to the nature of my job and location...i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.

As for the payment..i will be paying you via the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal).

I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included.

You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com.au (http://www.paypal.com.au/) and sign up. its very easy.I await your reply asap.

if hes that busy why does he want a boat!!! dont even reply just delete it

brisbane_boy
03-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Obv a scam , but why cant you get paid via paypal, pull the money out then send the goods, if you have been paid before the goods are sent how could you get scammed?

joe 09
03-07-2010, 03:35 PM
WOW. looks like sold already:):):) NOT:o
just received this

Got the exact same one last week and deleted it.

Jarrah Jack
03-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Obv a scam , but why cant you get paid via paypal, pull the money out then send the goods, if you have been paid before the goods are sent how could you get scammed?

The scam works that they ask you to pay the courier company fees and they say you will be reimbursed via paypal. They don't take the boat but work it in such a way that they get the courier payment which can be substantial if the boat is going OS. You may also get a fake pay pal notice that the money has been paid but the idea is to get that courier payment.....Thats how I believe it works but there may be variations.

mull dog
03-07-2010, 04:25 PM
like alot of others this happened to me when i was selling my boat
what i did was play the game for as long as i could trying to poach as much info out of him as i could. then i got in touch with the australian fed police and sent them through the complete email history i had with the twit. un fortunately there wasn't anything they could do as a crime hadn't been committed but hopefully they could use it in the future if someone else gets done over by him.
if it sounds too good to be true than it usually is

BR65
03-07-2010, 05:04 PM
just received this

Reply telling him you need $500 AUD from him to instigate the rego transfer process - Govt fees etc, see what happens?

finding_time
03-07-2010, 05:23 PM
How to pick a scammer??????

Well anyone trying to tell you a E-tec is i good motor is definately a SCAMMER!!!!

Jarrah Jack
03-07-2010, 06:04 PM
How to pick a scammer??????

Well anyone trying to tell you a E-tec is i good motor is definately a SCAMMER!!!!

Or a cats any good in the FNQ chop.:)

Steeler
03-07-2010, 06:27 PM

PayPal can easily turn a transaction like this into a nightmare for the seller by freezing funds for several months on any account they see fit particularly large sums of money not to mention the slightest indifference to the description of the item and the buyer can make a claim and PayPal will freeze the funds.

Do a Google of PayPal horror stories and you could quite easily spend 12months glued to your computer shaking your head at just what they get away with as a funds forwarder/conveyor.

And the fees on receiving that sort of sum would be over the top.

Steeler

cormorant
03-07-2010, 06:54 PM
It can take up to 30 days for money to be released from a valid paypal account and be credited to your own real bank account. They credit your account , you foolishly send goods and then the payment is found to be reversed or never really existed as they have scammed your email account or simply sent a false account statement.

Similar scams with anything to do with western Union

With them copying your adds or them being reposted on the "consolidators "websites all you can do is "watermark " your photos with your original place you advertised it so they know where they can contact you directly.

I told the website about all the scam approaches and they were blocking the various IP they were coming from and trying to stop the automated bots completing the forms to send email to you or downloading a mobile number and sending the scam requests.

A lot of the scams are about data not about stealing the boat If they can supply / on sell your phone number ,name , address etc they make money.

We bought a new SIM for the mobile phone and put it on the pre paid virgin bean counter at $25 for 45 days and 10c a minute and used that number for all the adds. Didn't have to leave it in my phone just slipped it in morning , lunch and dinner to check messages etc and then called back the serious enquiries. Just kept the process 1 step removed from phone number I use every day. We got decent people and serious enquiry from local and interstate people who were not full of it. Trouble free tranaction . Don't know if we got lucky.

DATCOL
03-07-2010, 09:19 PM
My lad & i have had a few of these parasites with the same spiel we ask for a direct bank deposit & they just disappear
Ches COL

finding_time
03-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Or a cats no good in the FNQ chop.:)

Agreed!

Those NQ guys just dont like the cats because there a bit tricky to drive in thongs!;D

Tazmaniac
03-07-2010, 10:12 PM
I sold my last boat on boatsonline to an interstate buyer. It was easy, when it sold it didn't leave my driveway until the ageed price plus freight was in my bank account. Had several suspected scammers try, but if they won't pay the FULL amount up front then don't deal. It's no different to someone buying from you face to face, you don't let them tow it away until you have the cash.
Trust no one !
Cheers, Taz

fairpractice
04-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Hi, for what it is worth. the PAY PAL response is not to get what you are selling but a Pay Pal account (yours) which they will operate to buy stuff until it is stopped. Often from A.C.T. and usually poor english.

I have sold successfully on the net BUT money is in my account before goods collected or shipped.

btw. if you want to meet some scammers in the flesh try any boat dealer in the yellow pages. cheers john

PinHead
04-07-2010, 03:08 PM
It can take up to 30 days for money to be released from a valid paypal account and be credited to your own real bank account. They credit your account , you foolishly send goods and then the payment is found to be reversed or never really existed as they have scammed your email account or simply sent a false account statement.

Similar scams with anything to do with western Union

With them copying your adds or them being reposted on the "consolidators "websites all you can do is "watermark " your photos with your original place you advertised it so they know where they can contact you directly.

I told the website about all the scam approaches and they were blocking the various IP they were coming from and trying to stop the automated bots completing the forms to send email to you or downloading a mobile number and sending the scam requests.

A lot of the scams are about data not about stealing the boat If they can supply / on sell your phone number ,name , address etc they make money.

We bought a new SIM for the mobile phone and put it on the pre paid virgin bean counter at $25 for 45 days and 10c a minute and used that number for all the adds. Didn't have to leave it in my phone just slipped it in morning , lunch and dinner to check messages etc and then called back the serious enquiries. Just kept the process 1 step removed from phone number I use every day. We got decent people and serious enquiry from local and interstate people who were not full of it. Trouble free tranaction . Don't know if we got lucky.

I wonder how much I will get for selling them the white pages book?

Tracker
06-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Getting (missed) phone calls anywhere between midnight and 4am.;D
Must be the time zone thing.Just switch phone off after 9pm.;)
So far I have 4 who want it now(sight unseen) and 2 maybes.:P

Gee who said selling a boat is hard:)

Pete82
06-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Am tryin to sell my Whittley and got 2 scammers in 2 days..Both by text initially and both from the UK,same story in the email..... Workin offshore , pay by pay-pal, buy sight unseen,, sent a couple of colouful emails back.... never heard from em again.......

Paradise Prowler
06-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Been trying to sell my Jet ski on both Boat sales and trading post, im not putting any of these sites down the're great, theres just a few dodgy operators using them, Had one person from VIC send me an email very similar to Trackers, Another from Perth saying they were buying for there Dad but could only pay via Paypal and would have an agent pick it up. Ask for a genuine phone call from either of them and they vanish. Boat Sales actually has a warning up when you sign in explaining of scammers uing paypal to skim funds and NOT TO accept any payment unless CASH IN HAND. Pretty Sad these people are about, Guess its the world we live in.
Cheers

snapperdan
07-07-2010, 06:01 PM
I used to run a boutique hotel and every day you would get emails from Prof Bulldust in the UK who needed 5-10 rooms for him and his mates to come to a conference for a week, all inclusive.

If you were dumb you would take the booking and ofcourse Prof Bulldust would want to makesure that the whole stay is prepaid (as he doesnt want his esteemed collegues to have to cough up a cent.) So you charge the credit card number provided and all is good. 1 - 7 days later disaster strikes. HIs mum has cancer, the conference has been moved to africa and his baby sister has been kidnapped. Would you be so gracious to refund the money, but please send it to me via WESTERN UNION, DO NOT REFUND THE CREDIT CARD.

So you do as this Prof says and send him his cash. A few days to a week later you get contacted by the bank of the credit card you originally charged saying that is an un authorised transfer and they are recovering the money. Nearly every time the amount would be close to 10 grand (the avg max limit on a cc). I never got done but i am sure there a plenty of people that have.

These scams are alittle different. What you need to do is tell these people that the boat is theres (maybee even offer a discount) however before you set up a bpay acct you need a $300 western union to the "holding yard" where the boat is to release it or some similar place. Also you need the cash to change over the registration to them. . Tell him you are old and frail, sick and only have half a leg like a pirate. Make them feel sorry for you. When the dope pays take the wife and the kids out to a nice restaurant. These scammers are generally young african males operating out of internet cafes. Some are good but there are some real dumb shit scammers out there who are just waiting to be fxxxxx with. I tried for a while for laughs but never got any where.

BPAY is generally linked to credit cards. Credit cards are easy to clone. BPAY accts are able to be set up very quickly. But once you send cash via money transfer it is basically gone.

Google scam baiting and see how nerds with to much time on there hands get sweet sweet revenge on those who try to scam.

hellboy
08-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Gday Tracker,
Got nearly identical response when i sold my boat about 3 weeks ago. The best bit is when he sends u an "official" request for payment, threatening all sorts of legal action.
The good thing is, that for every scammer, there are lots real people out there who really want to deal with u fair and square.
Good luck with the sale.