PDA

View Full Version : Taking babies on boats

Show me the fish
01-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows whether children under 10kgs are able to be taken on a boat.

The smallest life jacket i can find is for a min 10kgs but i have been told that there may be a kind of floating capsule available to take younger kids in - however i have not been able to find one.

Any help would be appreciated as we are due with our second bub at the end of the year (hopefully a few months after the new boat arrives).

cormorant
01-07-2010, 09:46 PM
They do exist

Just check they meet the standards

We used one of these but back then it didn't comply so we carried teh really crap ones they have on international aircraft

http://www.marinedirect.com.au/information/rfd/LifeJackets.pdf

do a search as there is a few threads on the pros and cons of really young kids on boats

Steve B
01-07-2010, 11:00 PM
up to 10kg = up to 1year old child.

(to easily work out a kids up to 12 yrs weight.... take age x 2 + 9 = their kg weight....you will be suprised how accurate it is)

Personally I cant see the benefits outweighing potential negative for under 1 year olds on boats. I have done it, but in hindsight I put my kid at potential risk for the sake of what?? they dont remember anything in the long run.....but thats just my view.

As for jackets, Hutchwilco do the best I have seen, they have a great non-floppy head rest (supports the head) and more flotation on front, less on back...thus if a kid is in the water they automatically float on their back and head floats out of water....I dont like the floppy head supports that hang (does that make sense!!!)

http://www.hutchwilco.co.nz/webapps/site/60993/54214/shopping/shopping-columns.html?find_groupid=5762

cheers Steve

Apollo
02-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Agree Steve. The risks far out weigh any preceived benefit.

Steve

LoungeLizard
02-07-2010, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't take a baby out other than on really protected waters like a creek or harbour where it's flat as and even then only at very low speeds i.e. just a cruise with the family. Apart from anything else babies don't like sudden movements and they'll soon start yelling their lungs out and/or get sick

thelump
02-07-2010, 01:04 PM
up to 10kg = up to 1year old child.

(to easily work out a kids up to 12 yrs weight.... take age x 2 + 9 = their kg weight....you will be suprised how accurate it is)

Personally I cant see the benefits outweighing potential negative for under 1 year olds on boats. I have done it, but in hindsight I put my kid at potential risk for the sake of what?? they dont remember anything in the long run.....but thats just my view.

As for jackets, Hutchwilco do the best I have seen, they have a great non-floppy head rest (supports the head) and more flotation on front, less on back...thus if a kid is in the water they automatically float on their back and head floats out of water....I dont like the floppy head supports that hang (does that make sense!!!)

http://www.hutchwilco.co.nz/webapps/site/60993/54214/shopping/shopping-columns.html?find_groupid=5762

cheers Steve

See where you are coming from Steve but parents need to have a life too. Maybe the kid wont remember but its still good to do things with your partner as a team rather than taking turns at going boating.
My 2 cents worth.

on-one
02-07-2010, 01:55 PM
we used one of these http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=18270&search123=plastimo&intAbsolutePage=1 I tend to agree with lump about having a life too, and personally, having taken sensible precautions I feel safer with a baby out on the water than in the car on the way there

bastard
02-07-2010, 06:01 PM
We started our daughter boating at three weeks of age and shes as addicted as we are,now at the age of twelve she can drive and manouver a boat better than most adults i know,she started driving at the age of four in a little zodiac with a four yammie ,weve always made her were a life jacket and lanyard,at a young age i think the life jacket probabley isnt real effective,being super vigilent and taking no risks is about the best think you can do.By a young age i mean under 2

dodgyone
02-07-2010, 06:28 PM
My kids have been coming out since before they were born. Life jacket goes on before they get in at the ramp. The mention of the 'boat' word in our house has the older one scrambling for his fishing gear and the younger running to her room for her life jacket. Its just part of life.
I also believe that there is more likelyhood of something going wrong in a car accident.... but we still do that every day.
Still sensible about it. No trip 100km offshore or anything. Also have to be mindfull that a couple of bad experiences will scare and turn kids off for life. Short and action packed trips are the best. Bit of boating, bit of looking, bit of fishing and a quick swim.
I took my daughter out on Monday crabbing. Best quality time you can spend with your family I reakon.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/dodgyone/DSCF2593.jpg

oldboot
02-07-2010, 08:15 PM
I recon if ya must... for an infant.... a moses capsule would be a great thing.

Ya know....a self righting fully foating baby capsule.

Don't think anybody makes one though.

cheers

Ratman
02-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Please enlighten me as to how your child can save themselves in the event of an emergency situation?

dodgyone
02-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Probably the same as in a car accident. They have to rely on their parents risk assessment and safety controls that are put in place.

Si
03-07-2010, 04:41 PM
less than 12 months it isadvised not to take them on boats.

four_button_arnie
03-07-2010, 08:24 PM
there have been some sad accidents around with young children on boats latley:(

Steve B, Age X 2 + 9 you would have to be QAS ay?
________
PAXIL DEATH (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/paxil/)

gr hilly
03-07-2010, 09:09 PM
i am sorry but it is not recommended for children that don't have a full bone structure of the scull to go out in boats' of course it is up to the parents, however under 1yr olds it is dangerous as their is no strength in the neck or scull.
Hilly

finding_time
03-07-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm sorry but if you as a parent cant delay " Having a life" for the little time it takes a kid to grow up alittle bit to the point where it's safeish to have them in a boat, do really deserve to be a parent????

As many have pointed out there bones are strong enough in there neck and back to support there head in any sort of jaring! If the worse was to happen and the boat was to sink a young child will get hypothermia very quickly in 20 degree water, they simply dont have the body mass!! If in the water they wont be able to help themselves in any small way at all they will completely reliant on your help, a very dangerous situation. If you ask yourself the question what the worse that can happen and how will the baby cope, you'll leave the kid with someone else till he/she's abit older!!

Fish_gutz
03-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Just my opinion but my kids need to be able to swim the fifty meter pool with no drama`s before they get in a boat, i`m still waiting for that day. I do understand why people want to take the young ones out and I wish them/you the safest of journeys. Andrew

nigelr
04-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Agree with GR re the neck and skull strength of under 1 yo.
Not worth the risk. After that stage, I'd go with dodgy. Up to the parents' risk assessment. After all, they will be living with the consequences should the worst happen.....my grandkids will have to be good swimmers and surf-savvy before I take them to sea, but I'm happy to take them boating in the river (with their mum or lifeguard auntie) at four and six.
Dodgy that is a wonderful pic, put a grin on my face (my kids are all grown and left home), thanks for sharing!

thelump
05-07-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm sorry but if you as a parent cant delay " Having a life" for the little time it takes a kid to grow up alittle bit to the point where it's safeish to have them in a boat, do really deserve to be a parent????

As many have pointed out there bones are strong enough in there neck and back to support there head in any sort of jaring! If the worse was to happen and the boat was to sink a young child will get hypothermia very quickly in 20 degree water, they simply dont have the body mass!! If in the water they wont be able to help themselves in any small way at all they will completely reliant on your help, a very dangerous situation. If you ask yourself the question what the worse that can happen and how will the baby cope, you'll leave the kid with someone else till he/she's abit older!!

I took my daughter out foir the first time at around 11 months old. It was on Lake Macquarie on a nice day and we all had a good time. Maybe I should have just stayed at home and adjusted the cotton wool. If spending time with your kids in what you believe to be safe environment makes you a bad parent then I must be one.
Thanks for enlightening me Finding Time. I will try to be a better parent from now on. >:(

LoungeLizard
05-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Just wondering what's the safest - taking a child out on protected waters (with necessary precautions) or a trip down the Bruce Highway?

gr hilly
05-07-2010, 01:16 PM
some common sense is needed here there is a big difference here, i have never seen a crash test done on a boat, and i hope your boat has good suspension, seat belts, and brakes, oh and if you still don't understand i am sorry for you.
Hilly

LoungeLizard
05-07-2010, 02:02 PM
In case you didn't notice the above was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Maybe I should've added some smiley face. What I'm trying to say is people go off about how unsafe this or that is but (conveniently, perhaps) forget about the dangers of everyday things. If I was given a choice to go out on a boat in a sheltered harbour or overtaking road trains on the Bruce Highway I know which one I would choose.

Having said that, I still don't think it's a good idea take very small kids (babies) out on boats for various reasons, but I don't see it as the crime of the century either.

gr hilly
05-07-2010, 05:45 PM
it might be a bit of tongue but no cheek after being on the water for 40 yrs, and serving air sea rescue coast guard, pulling bodies out of the water is no fun but a little infant mate it hurts like something you would never ever understand, it kept me out the water for 5 yrs and i love boating and fishing that much i donated my weekends for 7 yrs, please take care.
cheers Hilly

Angla
05-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Look. I am on Hilly's side here. Just give the infant a year or so as a minimum to build some strength and protection for the adventure that going on water is. I take it this boat is not a big thing either. What sort of experience do you and your wife have on the water? You haven't even got used to the characteristics of the new boat yet.

Boating is a lot about safety and you as the captain should be able to restrain yourself for just a while. The time will pass quickly enough.

Cheers and safe boating
Chris

I did well didn't I?
I just wanted to call you a pork chop for wanting to do this

theangryangler
05-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Are you considering taking the baby on a round the world trip or just out in a river with mum and dad for a quiet one?
Preemptive sorry here all but all i can think of is the time magazine article
"The Cotton Ball Kids" which spoke of the next generation of kids being wimps.

As long as your careful and dont drive like moron trying to get air off your own wake there is no problem.

finding_time
05-07-2010, 07:28 PM
I took my daughter out foir the first time at around 11 months old. It was on Lake Macquarie on a nice day and we all had a good time. Maybe I should have just stayed at home and adjusted the cotton wool. If spending time with your kids in what you believe to be safe environment makes you a bad parent then I must be one.
Thanks for enlightening me Finding Time. I will try to be a better parent from now on. >:(
I'm glad you had a good time lump!;) But what if on that nice day a freek accident happened and you 11 month old daughter drowned, bet you would feel like a prick now. There was a baby drown in CQ a few months ago, the parents took the bub out the anchor snagged the boat sank, and they couldn't find the baby... they probably thought they were not taking a large risk either.

BTW how did your daughter enjoy the day?? What did she tell you her favorite thing was??? Any way it the memory of the day that matters i guess, i sure she;ll look back on the day with fond memorys for the rest of her life!::)

Apollo
05-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I would think I couldn't be accused of wrapping my kids (5, 3) in cotton wool, but I a well aware of their limitations physically and am wary as to now force my agenda on them. Mine boat go fishing and canoeing with me and have so from about 18mths. Both love it, wear lifejackets and can swim. I only pick mild days, stick to sheltered waters and drive cauciously. This being said, I have had close calls with them in the boat - all have been caused by the acts of others (negligent/careless) - eg driving past too close with large wakes, skipper not keeping full watch. Despite my best efforts to be careful, I can't control all that happens on the water, so given the potential ramifications, I took responsibility of being a parent and took the advice of experts, refraining from taking my precious bundles out.

Steve

thelump
05-07-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm glad you had a good time lump!;) But what if on that nice day a freek accident happened and you 11 month old daughter drowned, bet you would feel like a prick now. There was a baby drown in CQ a few months ago, the parents took the bub out the anchor snagged the boat sank, and they couldn't find the baby... they probably thought they were not taking a large risk either.

BTW how did your daughter enjoy the day?? What did she tell you her favorite thing was??? Any way it the memory of the day that matters i guess, i sure she;ll look back on the day with fond memorys for the rest of her life!::)

If I tripped on a toy while carrying her and dropped her on her head and she died I would feel like a prick too. Accidents happen. But I refuse to live my life worrying about it. If you want to do that mate then go ahead but do not judge my parenting because it's not the same way you would do it!

Steve B
05-07-2010, 08:25 PM
[quote=four_button_arnie;1181852]there have been some sad accidents around with young children on boats latley:(

Steve B, Age X 2 + 9 you would have to be QAS ay?[/quote

Yeah mate!! bit of a give away hey!!!

I am no way a 'wrap in cotton wool parent' and I probably should be after seeing hundreds of possible ways kids can get hurt and sadly killed. But I really do believe kids under 1 should not be in boats. The risks vs nessessity is the big difference between boats and cars. Unfortunately you HAVE to put kids in cars at some stage, its a nessessary part of life

..Cars have well tried and tested car seats, with added safety of the car structure itself...yes, there is a risk of hurt in an accident, but they do go along way to saving kids....I have been to hundreds of accidents with little kids in car accidents, and I can count on 1 hand how many have had significant injuries (with properly fitted and secured car seats)

.but boats...there is no security. they will get ejected if hit by another vessel (or hurt bad in a half cabin) , flipped, swamped, whatever!!....then there is added risk of drowning which will most probably happen if a kid under 1 hits the water....Think to yourself "how quickly can I retrieve a kid at any pace, in any situation as above "could it be done in under 30 sec in any situation"...then theres hypothermia, fatigue (both parents and kids) trying to survive, time to get rescued?? could be hours???

Is this the risk WORTH taking for a kid under 1 year old? Yes, you might be as careful as can be, only going in calm water on calm days.....but it doesn't mean the drunk bloke plowing down the river has the same good ethics and responsibilties you do.

Sorry to be negative....I take my kids out every chance I get. I have no regrets waiting until they were walking and talking. I dont think they missed any big milestones in our life for that.

Cheers Steve

theangryangler
05-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Just to clarify I was not saying anyone in this post is like this.
Just mentioning a story i read a while ago. I remember my father taking us all out (5 bros) under the age of 5 and thinking it funny to launch with us all in the boat!! bloody ######## mate, not the best idea when the motor leg caught on the bottom and my oldest bro went face first into the side combing(?) resulting in a broken nose and a fractured eye socket!! so as said be safe and be smart.
Stupidity only results in people being hurt.
And yes unfortunately OTHER boaters have bad habits like mentioned.

Feral
06-07-2010, 05:08 AM
I believe the main reason it is very hard to find suitable jackets for young babies is because there is no requirement for them to have one, making a potentially small market even smaller, so firstly hardly any one bothers to make them, then the Chandleries dont bother to stock them.

After the recent story of the yacht that capsized with the baby on board (which apparently died because they could not find it in the darkened cabin) I'd reckon I'd do some thinking about the life jacket setup for a baby (or even a young kid) as they cant / wont call out, dont know to hold their breathe when submerged. I'd not only have a bright auto light on the jacket, I'd look at some sort of sound device as well, so that if the baby was under a bit of bedding or a sail etc you would still be able to locate it.

Sounds stupid, but I'd reckon I'd be having a serious look at the "handbag dog" life jackets they make for the Paris Hiltons of the world as most baby jackets I have seen appear to be useless.

In regard to the freak accident comment, life is a strange thing. My wife and I have always wrapped our kids in cotton wool compared to the norm as far as safety goes, yet we have had some close calls with our kids, yet the bloke down the road whos kids wander the streets, no bike helmets, ride around in the back of his ute and trailer are all still alive.

"The lump" when my daughter was 11 months old my wife was carrying her and tripped on a dodgy footpath, she fell on her, end result a badly broken femur for the daughter, and 18 hours in 2 different hospital's emergency rooms before it was stabilised and 6 months in plaster. It happens.

gr hilly
06-07-2010, 06:27 AM
i have three daughters all could swim at the age of three and then was when they came out in my boat whilst traveling they stayed inside the half cab with mum pillows all around.i had a 19 c H, Hunter before this age the grand parents were the best baby sitters in the world.
Hilly

dodgyone
06-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Baby bouncers are great for taking the shock out of a travelling boat as well.

gr hilly
06-07-2010, 07:53 AM
a month ago i was going up the logan and i noticed a very small white thing sticking out the water the water was glassed out i slowed down to pick up what i thought was someones garbage to find it was a two door fride hit that on the plain on a rippled water way
HILLY

ozscott
06-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Interesting thread. I am a bit more paranoid than a few of the parents I know...I didnt allow my 3 to enter the boat until they could swim (they all started lessons before they could walk literally) competently and even then they didnt go anywhere except the top end of the river for quite a while...at about age 5. Even now I dont take them (the youngest is 7) to the Northern Bay unless its an excellent day to do so and they jacket on at the ramp and only take it off when they hit land again - eg Horseshoe for a swim and then back on until the ramp. Some days if its just a fishing day the jackets stay on until they get back -8 hours straight etc. They always sit in the boat while underway. They never get to stand on the prow even when the boat is stationary unless we are in horseshoe anchored up when they jump off there.

They all know the basics of starting and stopping the motor and the gears.

The PFD1 jackets are comfortable to wear Hutch Wilcos from NZ - very squishy material that they forget they have on.

They all also know that when I say hang on...they HANG ON!

Cheers