PDA

View Full Version : Placing Order Tomorrow For New Boat

Seahorse
01-07-2010, 08:51 PM
After Much Looking , I Have Decided To Buy A New Seajay 4.55 Territory, With A 50hp Yammy, Elect Start, Ptt.
Should Be Ready End Next Week.

Who Wants To Buy A 489 Stacer Runabout, 75hp, Heaps Extras

Cheers
Greg

swift
01-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Hey Greg, That's great news. Where are you purchasing from (if you don't mind me asking)?

Scott Ashe
02-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Hi Greg,

That's good news, your seajay and Yammie will give you many hours of enjoyment on the water.

All the best with the sale of your stacer too, and I hope your back on the water soon.

Cheers
Scott

Seahorse
02-07-2010, 03:00 PM
swift
buying it from stones corner marine.

scott
thanks mate. all new to me.
never owned a sea jay or a yammy.

deposit paid.
ordered the canopy.
just got to do a deal on a sounder

cheers
greg

Marlin_Mike
02-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Greg

How much is the stacer and you got any pics of it you can post in here?

Mike

wags on the water
02-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Greg,
my older brother has a territory and he loves it. It has an exceptional casting platform and is stable at rest. I was impressed the first time I fished from it too.

All the best with the sale of the Stacer.

Cheers,
Wags

Bowser
02-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Is it a 4 or 2 stroke that you are getting? I don't know the specs of Seajay, but if it is a 4 stroke and you are rated for 60 hp I'd spend a couple of bucks more and put the F60 on. Same weight, same motor, but 20% more power. Can run harder or at the same speed at lower revs.

Seahorse
02-07-2010, 08:50 PM
mike.
i will put up some pics. prob want 24500.
thanks wags.
bowser
rated to 50max.
i think it will fly.
its a 2st. couldnt afford a 4 st.
just overcap boat.

cheers
greg

Mike Delisser
02-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Good on ya, just in time to christen it with a few winter snapper!
If you don't get the sounder deal you're after there's always the Boat Show in late Aug, a few good deals there last year. Whitworths also have 15% off during the Brizzy Boat Show if you're on their mailing list.
Cheers and happy boating :)

MyEscape
03-07-2010, 04:53 AM
I had a Seajay 4.15pro, which is the similar to the territory.
Yours is going to be great boat. I still have a Seajay, but an Escape which is a similar set up to the Territory but with a few extras. Though mine now is a 4.35 and have a 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke oil injected and T/T. mine also has a bow mount minn kota. Your territory should also be set up to install a minn kota without any fuss if you are thinking that way.

You won't look back. The 50hp 2 stroke will fly on that.

Steve

Seahorse
03-07-2010, 03:51 PM
steve, how do u find the yammy 2 stroke as a tiller?
i am still wondering how can i justify spending another $1400 and go 4 stroke.
its just once u add bimini, sounder it starts adding up.

cheers
greg

frankgrimes
03-07-2010, 04:56 PM
i am still wondering how can i justify spending another $1400 and go 4 stroke.

Id go a 4banger if it was only $1400 diff....depends on you budget though.

Seahorse
03-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Sounds Easy When U Say It Fast.
Iam Thinking Hard.
I Was Only Thinking Of The Noise With A Tiller.
In The Runabout It Wouldnt Worry Me Because I Had Forward Steer.
I Can Imagine The 4 St Would Be Hell Of A Lot Quieter

Kondo 1
04-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Sounds Easy When U Say It Fast.
Iam Thinking Hard.
I Was Only Thinking Of The Noise With A Tiller.
In The Runabout It Wouldnt Worry Me Because I Had Forward Steer.
I Can Imagine The 4 St Would Be Hell Of A Lot Quieter

Hi Mate,

Good stuff - you have done well.

On the 2 vs 4 Stroke, I have had both of the yamahas in tiller config, and they both brilliant.

Honestly the 4 is a real nice motor, quiet, smooth, economical (average a smidgen over 2 nm/l at cruise of 4500 rpm) and obviously smoke free.

However the 2 stroke is a bloody nice motor for a carbied 2 stroke, it is very smooth for what it is, and pretty economical too with 3 carbies. Now I had the premix model which was a little smokey but the oil injected model would be nicer again and with Yamalube or better again XD-50 oil will be pretty good smokewise.

Honestly mate comes back to what sort of fishing you are doing, if you do allot of trolling then the 4 has the edge (2 still not bad - I never once got fouled plugs or cranky runny after hours of idling at a time) the 4 also has a better charge capacity which was important to me. As was the economy because I will be doing remote trips in mine so not having to carry large volumes of fuel was also a consideration. According to Stones Corner the 4 stroke is 40%more economical - I would agree that this is roughly the case, you will never make up the difference in cost, so it really needs to be about required range than saving $$ in this size bracket.

Now the territory you can upgrade the standard 24L tote tank to a 45 L poly tank for under 200 bucks which even with the 2 stroke you will still get a solid day out of, I used to do a solid trip around the bay (Nudgee-Mud-Sandhills-Tangalooma-Curtin-Tangalooma-Nudgee) fishing as well not just cruising on about 30-35L depending on how much WOT and how much mucking around I did and Weather conditions. Which is still a fairly solid day on the tiller and with 45L is pretty well no problems.

Now the 2 Stroke will be Quicker out of the hole and lighter on the transom too, I find with mine (4 Stroke) it is a little bum heavy and I do miss the acceleration of the 2. But it still is nice and I think does the job nicely - and I probably carry a bit of extra weight than you will be. On the issue of noise at the tiller, well the 4 is definitely better - however I could still hold a converstaion at cruise at the tiller with the 2, not shouting. In fact wind noise was/is more of an issue than engine noise.

Unfortunately I wont be able to get the boat in the water in the next few weeks otherwise I could take you for a spin in both to give you an idea... Sorry mate.

Either way you go you wont be disapointed, they both are good motors - they just both have some better points than each other but overall very good donks.

Cheers Mate.

Kondo 1
04-07-2010, 09:31 AM
One other point I forgot to mention, The 4 stroke does require a good battery to run. I believe the ECU needs a complete cicuit to function - so a flat batery is ok after you manually start but not one with a dropped cell.

So this being the case batteries are of critical importance, in mine I added an extra battery seperated by a VSR cluster. Now whilst I am very happy with the setup there is certainly a cost penalty, it probably cost me an extra $500 bucks to add the additional battery, and of course additional weight.

I am happy with what I did, and I guess there are thousands of boats running around with motors that need a good battery and carrying only one and doing it just fine but I wanted that extra failsafe....

Seahorse
04-07-2010, 03:34 PM
kondo.
mate thanks for all the info. very good to read.
i was going to update fuel tank because i was told that the floor bracket up front is exact size as the 45lit.
After much thought, back and forth, hang the cost, iam going 50hp 4 stroke.
I will only run one battery at the moment, but i did intend going 2. just not the extra money yet.
I was thinking about putting one up underneath where from battery fits for electric.
this would run sounder, led lights, radio.
i havnt worked all that out yet.
Anyway all looks good, and hopfully pick up on thursday, then down to fit up for bimini.

cheers
greg

PinHead
04-07-2010, 04:16 PM
sheesh..there you were ordering what was going to be a good setup then you stuff it all up..a 4 banger??? why??.
a heavier motor..you now have to rely on electric start...pull start 2 stroke and never have to wonder if battery is flat or not. The fuel savings on a motor that size is miniscule and not worth worrying about.
Plus..4 bangers are doughy.

Seahorse
04-07-2010, 04:51 PM
pinhead.
u are throwing doubts at me.
Cant u manually start a 4 stroke by pull cord?
I didnt think there was any real diff in weight.
Its not the fuel iam worried about, it was just the fact of a quieter motor.
Why has the 4 got more displacement cc power.
Doughty? how u mean.

PinHead
04-07-2010, 05:09 PM
doughy = slow out of the hole.

Rule No 1 when buying a boat..ask for opinions but don't let them influence you too much...buy what YOU want and suits your boating needs.

I would not even put a 50 on a boat that size..a 40 will do anything you want it to do but that is just my opinion.

colo
04-07-2010, 05:17 PM
pinhead.
u are throwing doubts at me.
Cant u manually start a 4 stroke by pull cord?
I didnt think there was any real diff in weight.
Its not the fuel iam worried about, it was just the fact of a quieter motor.
Why has the 4 got more displacement cc power.
Doughty? how u mean.

Hi Seahorse, I have a 4.55m Sea Jay Territory as well and have had both the motors on it you are looking at so hopefully I might be able to help you out. I first had a 50 Yamaha 2stroke with electric start trim and tilt and then after about two years I replaced it with the 50 4 stroke both are great motors, the 4 stroke is about 20kg heavier(I Think) but the extra weight really didn't make any difference, fuel usage on the 4 stroke is defiantly less but the 2 stroke was by no means bad, there is no difference in top end speed but the 4 stroke doesn't quite have the same low down punch as the 2 stroke but its really not a big deal, one difference is the 4 stroke was defiantly quieter. At the end of the day if I had to put the 2 stroke back on it tomorrow I wouldn't be worried.

Seahorse
04-07-2010, 06:00 PM
colo.
why did u replace the 2st with a 4 st.
i realize 4st may be bit slower out of hole, but its still a 50hp on a 4.55 tinnie.
Only ever have 2 blokes in boat, so i dont think will make that much diff.
I have rgretted before on other boats not going max hp.

marty+jojo
04-07-2010, 06:20 PM
In my opinion a 4 stroke will be heaps quieter at an idle but i reckon they are still noisy under throttle. Fuel is not an issue in small HP motors and small trips in the bay. Save your money stick with the cheaper to buy, service, lighter and way more simple 2 stroke.
Marty.

colo
04-07-2010, 07:24 PM
colo.
why did u replace the 2st with a 4 st.
i realize 4st may be bit slower out of hole, but its still a 50hp on a 4.55 tinnie.
Only ever have 2 blokes in boat, so i dont think will make that much diff.
I have rgretted before on other boats not going max hp.

I keeped the motor of my old boat which was the 50 2 stroke and used it for a while then later replaced it with the 4 stroke, didnt really have any real specific reason to go the 4 stroke other than I wanted to try something new. If you can afford to 4 stroke go with it but you wouldn't be disappointed either way.

Seahorse
04-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks colo. When u have never had a 4st before and there is an extra cost, it is just real hard to make a decision or justify the extra cost.
As i said before, fuel cost is not an issue.
Did u really notice much diff out of the hole, or did the 4st hang there a while.
A mate of mine has a 60 4st and it appears to be pretty quiet.
Do u find yours noisy under throttle as marty & jo has said.
Mate sorry for all the questions. a pain i know

Cheers
greg

colo
04-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Thanks colo. When u have never had a 4st before and there is an extra cost, it is just real hard to make a decision or justify the extra cost.
Did u really notice much diff out of the hole, or did the 4st hang there a while.

Cheers
greg

From my experience i don't think they are noisy at full throttle, the 50 and the 60 are pretty much the same motor so the noise levels will be the same as your mates. As for power out of the hole the 4 stroke is just slightly slower out of the water but its really minimal. which ever one you decide on you wont be disappointed.

marvin
04-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Seahorse, I have a 60 yamy 4 stroke on a 4.5mt savage, jem of a motor, previous was a old 40hp susuki 2 stroke, no comparison between the older oil injected 2 storke to the yam 4 stroke in fuel, and quietness, smoothness, and the new motor trolls up many more barra. We have 3 kids and 2 adults in our family, with 12 crab pots in the boat and all of us, the boat does 24kts, not a speed demon by any means, but perfect for what we want, had to put a fin on the motor to help with the extra weight, but now all good as gold, would by another 4st anyday for any size boat, no comparison to my 200 etec on my offshore boat either, the 4st is my recomendation, enjoy it. cheers Kev.

Kondo 1
04-07-2010, 08:26 PM

Cheers
greg

Hi Mate,

Quite honestly for me this was as close to a 50/50 decision as there could be.

Pinhead is right the 4 stroke is slower out of the hole, more complicated, more expensive and heavier - all valid points and worthy of consideration. Honestly I doubt you will be carrying the weight I am, but even if you are it is not too bad, noticable yes but manageable I think. It is also more complicated - valves, cams, fuel injectors, EFI etc - but these motors have been around for a while and they seem fairly robust. In addition you meed to be real careful with your batteries (though you can pull start in an emergency - but it is a stuff around and you need a good battery) and also your fuel - quite honestly you need to run a decent water seperating filter, I went with the yamaha/racor (now I probably would have run the same filter with the 2 anyway) and this does add expense.

Now the 2 stroke, well personnally I am a bit of a hoon and I dont like running WOT in the 4 stroke, the 2 is different, they love a rev and without valves or cams or anything else they do love high revs for longer periods. However, there will be some smoke - probably not allot especially if you choose your oil carefully and the one point that concerned me is the oil injection system, now I know they are totally different to the old VRO systems and it is as close to fool proof as an oil injection system could be it would still be in the back of my mind. I do realise that this worry is most likely misplaced but I would still think about it. Also there will be some more noise - though realistically it is far from intrusive.

In the end it was s tough decision and I took a few days, both had endearing qualities, and neither had deal breakers as far as I was concerned.

For me the reasons I went with the 4 Stroke in the end were the ability to network the motor to the lowrance network (which is for a gadget freak like me brilliant), smoke free and the economy - not for fuel $$ savings only for the ability to carry less fuel and get excellent range when I am on remote trips. In the end I felt that I could mitigate the potential risks the 4 stroke presented, fuel and battery - but that did cost money, probably somewhere between $800-$1000 to cover those 2 issues in addition to the extra cost of the motor so it wasn't a cheap exercise.

Quite honestly looking back now I am very happy with my decision, I feel it was the right one for me - but that may not work for you. Really this was a 50/50 decision and you cant make a bad decision. However I do disagreee with Pinhead - I feel as though this hull needs the max power, it is quite deep in the v and it does carry some weight, certainly I would not touch the 40 4 stroke, you could possibly get away with the 40 2 stroke but seeing as though it is the same motor as the 50 in a lower state of tune I wouldn't touch it with bugger all $$ difference.

Honestly mate you cannot make a bad decision here :)

Kondo 1
04-07-2010, 08:33 PM

Cheers
greg

Forgot to mention - if you like you are welcome to come and have a look at mine and see it setup. I know whilst I was waiting I was pretty frustrated not being able to visualise it setup :)

frankgrimes
04-07-2010, 08:44 PM
In my opinion a 4 stroke will be heaps quieter at an idle but i reckon they are still noisy under throttle.
Marty.

You must have been in some noisy 4's then mate.

Mike Delisser
04-07-2010, 11:51 PM
I have a 60hp 4st (Merc) on the back of similar size boat to yours.
If it helps, last year I fished a comp at Somerset and trolled solid for the whole 2 day comp, I used 30lts. My mate with the same size boat as mine with a 60hp 2st (Merc) used just over 80lts and and had probs with the plugs oiling up every few hours. I know it can't be proved but we landed about 3 times as many fish as him with the same lures in the same area and I recon the motor had a lot to do with it. This is my 1st 4st and I recon I'll never go back to a 2st, not many anglers do. But in the end what ever you pick you'll be on the water and that's the main thing isn't it.
Cheers