PDA

View Full Version : careful if you have a stretched/old muff

onerabbit
01-07-2010, 05:33 PM
OK.....guess I need to apologise for the title.::) ::) ::) ( careful Muzz, this is a G rated site.........;) )

BUGGER, had everything organised, had a deckie organised, bait, fuel....

when I went to give the old girl a start-up, so she started easy at the ramp, I didn't look at the muffs, they had always been ok,

when she fired up, I was waiting for the tell-tale to show.......no good...
went back and shoved a bit of heavy leader up there, just to make sure there was no wasp nest or other.......no good..

started to get worried when the alarm sounded.....:o :o :o

She was only serviced about 6-7 weeks ago, rang the shop to make sure that the impellor was done.......YES..arranged for the mechanic to come here to look at it>:( >:( >:( ....I was getting pist off.

Then I went back out with the shits to look again,

and noticed that the muffs were not fitting as they should,
there was a noticable gap....which I hadn't noticed before

Bottom line...I have been my own worst enemy.....

When the mechanic arrived, I just told him what happened and to take it back to the shop.....

Sorry Bugman....I am the one who farked up our day out tomorrow, trying to make sure we had a hassle free day,
but the cod will be that much bigger when we get there.

Bottom line guys, even the smallest thing can let you down, like an old set of muffs, is easy to get complacent and think that everything is ok.....just goes to show that no matter how practiced you are, there will always be something to give you lessons,

so, sorry Bugman....I think I wanted to go more than you did.......

next time...

Muzz

bugman
01-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Muzz,

Just one of those things mate. As you say they'll be bigger next time.

I'll just have to go to work and do the end of year financials:'(

I'm going to be away few weeks in the next month or so but feel free to check with me when you're ready to go next time.

I'd lined up a fish BBQ for Saturday as well;D

Brett

Steeler
01-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Muzz

What type of motor buddy ?.

Steeler

onerabbit
01-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Is an 06 model Merc 115,
the very last of the carb feed 2strokes,

Mick the mechanic said that no matter what, when you sound an alarm, the leg comes off.........is Ok.....I would rather be sure .......

just pist me right off.....I SO need a day at sea,

and I couldn't believe that i missed something so simple,

never too old or clever to learn.......

Muzz

Si
01-07-2010, 07:12 PM
so did you melt the water pump? this is what my mechanic said caused my water pump to be replaced also. However my muff was always very tight. anyway, sounds like your up for a new wp kit.

Steeler
01-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Is an 06 model Merc 115,
the very last of the carb feed 2strokes,

Mick the mechanic said that no matter what, when you sound an alarm, the leg comes off.........is Ok.....I would rather be sure .......

just pist me right off.....I SO need a day at sea,

and I couldn't believe that i missed something so simple,

never too old or clever to learn.......

Muzz

Yeh reckon at worst a new water pump kit,takes an awful lot to do any internal damage.Don't know what merc make there linings out of but gee its strong stuff.

Is yours one of those 2+2 motors where it runs on 2 cyl's til it gets over approx 1900 RPM then the other 2 cyl's kick in ?.

Steeler

wrxhoon
01-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Is yours one of those 2+2 motors where it runs on 2 cyl's til it gets over approx 1900 RPM then the other 2 cyl's kick in ?.

I thought these were only in 125 hp .

davo74
01-07-2010, 10:02 PM
did the same thing myself the other day. i'm in the process of organizing a drum to flush it rather than chance it again with the muffs.the muffs i have are'nt that old either

Lancair
01-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Bugger.

I did notice the muffs still sitting on your engine last weekend Muzz and now I feel guilty. I almost told you the story of my mate always leaving his on and eventually they didnt seal too well and well . . . he had the same problem as you did. He started his motor to run it before draggin it down to the ramp. Went inside to grab a beer without checking his motor was spitting water and well . . .

I didnt feel it right for me, a relative newbie to boats to tell you what to do with ya muffs so . . .

Sorry Mate

Steeler
01-07-2010, 11:50 PM
I thought these were only in 125 hp .

To the best of my knowledge it was all the 4 cyl's 2 strokes of that vintage inc 100,115 & 125.

Steeler

trueblue
02-07-2010, 08:00 AM
I did the same recently as well

wrxhoon
02-07-2010, 10:24 AM
To the best of my knowledge it was all the 4 cyl's 2 strokes of that vintage inc 100,115 & 125.

Steeler

Thanks Steeler , I just never came across the others but I think you maybe correct.

Steeler
02-07-2010, 10:54 AM
You had me going there for a moment, i am about to attack a broken one in the next few days as my next afternoon and weekend rebuild project.Only ever done the inline 6's so should prove to be interesting and no doubt a few choice words along the way.

Cheers

Steeler

Si
02-07-2010, 10:59 AM
did the same thing myself the other day. i'm in the process of organizing a drum to flush it rather than chance it again with the muffs.the muffs i have are'nt that old either

im pretty sure you can buy a dedicated flushing bag that goes over the leg part of the engine which holds a good volume of water and has a hose connection on it. good for storage rather than having an old rusty drum lying around the house.

davo74
02-07-2010, 11:05 AM
cheers mate, i'll have a look

Steeler
02-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Can't get hold of an old plastic drum for flushing ?.

RFARREN
02-07-2010, 02:46 PM
bcf have them
i cant remember how much but it was about $30 if i remember
http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/-Mayo-Flusher-Bag-Collapsible-112-Litre-.aspx?pid=127134#Description

Peter4
02-07-2010, 03:01 PM
bcf have them
i cant remember how much but it was about $30 if i remember
http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/-Mayo-Flusher-Bag-Collapsible-112-Litre-.aspx?pid=127134#Description

These collapsible flush bags from bcf are pretty ordinary/delicate. They tear easily, leak and need to be replaced often....

After going through three in a year I switched to a plastic drum that holds all of my rags, bungie cords, straps and fishing crap when it is not in use as a flush drum...

Picked it up from Bunnings for $40 and put a tap in it to drain the water...

honda900
02-07-2010, 03:48 PM
this is a flush bag, that has fittings on it, just connect the hose and fill it up, works great. Got it at BCF, its canvass.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/honda900_uw/PHOT0014.jpg

Regards
Honda.

onerabbit
02-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Cheers guys for all the good responses,
I've been kicking myself for falling for such an easy mistake,
hearing that I am not the only one has made me feel a bit better,,,,but only just.

Boat is ready to go again now, just in time for the weather to turn sour again..
but that's life.

YEP. destroyed a brand new impellor, but motor was pressure tested and was passed as good as new, so, no lasting damage...only to my pride, but is a lesson that I will not forget in a hurry....

Yes, she is a "2+2", only runs on 2 cylinders until you reach about 2000rpm,

that took a bit of getting used to, but now my regular deckies all know to hang on until we get going as she gets a good burst of power when the second set cuts in.....

How you looking for next week Bugman?
Maybe Tuesday?

Muzz

Steeler
02-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Hey Muzz

Real pleased for you to hear that no lasting damage eh (just can't kill mercs).

Never had one of those 2+2's before so looking foward to getting stuck into this thing and seeing how different it is in that rev range and they compare against the old inline 6's.

Cheers

Steeler