PDA

View Full Version : How best to deal with stingrays?

mitchdemeanor
30-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Well obviously the regulars on this forum would have noticed i'm new on here, and pretty new to fishing over here too but seem to be going reasonably ok at it so far :).

Anyway i ended up last weekend in one of the situations i've been dreading, i hooked on to a stingray.

I was bait fishing with some pillies when it happened (put up a pretty good fight) and as soon as i saw what i had hooked onto my mind started working overtime "what do i do now?"

I've heard of a couple of different ways of dealing with them. First one being cut off the tail, that seems a fair bit barbaric to me but true it stops me getting done over by the thing and being able to get my rig back (always a bonus).

The second thing was what i actually did was just cut the line. So i got it as close to my boat as i felt comfortable and cut the line, but now that means theres a stingray kicking around with line hanging out it's mouth and i had to re-rig >:(.

What i really want to know is what you guys with a little more experience than i do would do in this situation? is there a better way?

Look forward to your comments,

Mitch.

krazyfisher
30-06-2010, 05:25 PM
I cut the line as close as I can to the hook.

onerabbit
30-06-2010, 05:27 PM
You did the right thing Mitch,

when dealing with a ray, especially a big one , I just retrieve as much gear as possible and let it go.......

cutting off the tail not only puts you in the danger zone, but is cruel and leaves the animal without any natural defences.....not a fair thing in my opinion.

Muzz

tunaticer
30-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Research shows that if you leave about 50cm of line still attached to the hooks fish have a better chance of survival than if you cut near the hooks. Don't know why but it is documented with a 12 month survey on snapper with near double the survival rate of a length of mono was still attached compared to trimmed at the hook. (my guess is that when the hook rusts or wears its way free the line will stop it from being ingested).

Been many years since i have harmed a ray or shark or catfish I have caught, much better to snip that line than handle them.

Pridey
30-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Agreed. Some of the larger rays need crazy strong gear to get off the bottom in the first place. This being say, your tackle is therefore worth more.

If you're experienced with rays, some are harmless, some have barbs that are right down at the base of the spine. If you already know this, then you can grab the tail (still with a rag) flip him over and retrieve your hook.

However, if you arent extremely familiar with the ray you have. I'd say safest bet. Cut your leader and release him as happy as you both can be.

dreemon
30-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Great thread ! I've allways wondered how you can battle a stingray and get it boatside after pulling what feels like the drain plug off the ocean floor without the line ever even thinking of going " SNaP" but . . . a real fish will find freedom with the same type of rig? go figure ? I go with cut the leader too.

Mitch , good signature !;D Id like that sticker in the boat .

004dam
30-06-2010, 07:55 PM
if its land based have been known to me or my mate pinning the tail down and grab some balls and go for the hook. if you can pin the tail so it cant swing you can get your gear back. Boat side though wouldnt bring one in the boat i would snip it as close as i could to the hook.

Scott nthQld
30-06-2010, 08:03 PM
smaller rays are quite easy to handle. They have little indentations just behind the eyes, like god-given fingerholds, grab them there ans with shoes, stand on the tail to stop it flicking about and get you hook out if you can. 9 times out of ten though the ray has swallowed the hook due to the way they feed, ie sucking the bait in, not biting it etc, so the best and safest way is what others have said is to get back as much gear as you can and cut the line.

Larger rays don't even bother trying to lift...they weigh a ton, just get as much back as you can and cut the line

URAGANGI
30-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Tunaticer

Jack , great tip on cutting the leader above hook. I always thought that the closer to the hook you cut the better the fishes chances are?
From now on I've adopted new methods.

cheer's Gav.

Sea-Dog
30-06-2010, 10:18 PM
I used to deckie on Bundy fishing trawlers back in the early 80's

I have seen a stingray barb from a large ray that I'm told the ray managed to flick free of its tail and embed the barb in the wheelhouse wall of a fishing trawler.

The barb was about 200mm long.

sleepygreg
30-06-2010, 10:49 PM
There are many species of ray....some have the barbs at the base of the tail, some have the barbs midway down the tail, some have the barbs near the end of the tail (and twin barbs as well). Some rays are able to flick their tail over their head as well as side to side (whip tail ray being one that i am all too familiar with). Over the years I think I have caught most of em. In my early years I caught a Black Ray and kept it and weighed it in at a fishing comp...it was a national record. After reflecting on that, and the ensuing clean up required of the boat....and the post adrenaline realisation of 1.what could have happened to me had it hit me with its spine, and 2. why did I kill this beautiful fish for nothing other than a trophy....I have never kept or deliberately harmed a ray since.

I get em close enough to identify the species...then cut the leader below the last piece of terminal tackle (swivel/knot)...a hook and a couple of metres of line are not worth risking a spike in you...or causing further harm to the vaccuum cleaners of the sea. Most hooks will rust out fairly quickly due to the enzymes excreted by the fish, and do less damage than ripping the hook out. A mate finished up in hospital while trying to show his kids how to handle a small ray in the pumistone passage. Managed to get a ray spike in the base of his thumb...he was in their tinny....also meant he couldnt take them out the next day in the Riv. Those of you in the MBBC Game/Sportfish Section will know who I am talking about.

Dont play with fire.

Greg

Angla
30-06-2010, 10:52 PM
I reckon you are ahead if you get the swivel. Even the small ones seem to inhale the hood down deep.
If you really feel the need to see for your self then a good towel over the tail end after you pull them in and lay them on their back is probably the best way and a release that is swift so they cannot flick that tail barb at you.

Be wary that Eagle rays can and will jump out of the water in a good aerial display if they wish. They would be the worst to have on the boat IMO

Cheers
Chris

marto78
01-07-2010, 07:32 AM
I havent caugght one in a long time but I've always brought them to the boat upside down so that there mouth is facing up always leave there bottom end in the water (they only seem to swing there tail up over there head or sideways but never underneath there body and when left in the water dont have nowhere near as much power as when on dry land) and if possible remove the hook or cut it off if they have swallowed it. I mite add that I will inspect the ray from a distance first before deciding what to do if its hooked anywhere around the mouth area then a quick flick with the pliers will suffice, otherwise like everyone else its time to rerig.
Marto
ps if you dont feel comfortable getting that close to them, then you DONT have to
regards marto

Si
01-07-2010, 08:19 AM
I havent caugght one in a long time but I've always brought them to the boat upside down so that there mouth is facing up always leave there bottom end in the water (they only seem to swing there tail up over there head or sideways but never underneath there body and when left in the water dont have nowhere near as much power as when on dry land) and if possible remove the hook or cut it off if they have swallowed it. I mite add that I will inspect the ray from a distance first before deciding what to do if its hooked anywhere around the mouth area then a quick flick with the pliers will suffice, otherwise like everyone else its time to rerig.
Marto
ps if you dont feel comfortable getting that close to them, then you DONT have to
regards marto

yeah same. generally they are ok if you leave them in water and watch the tail end and can remove the hooks.

HeadBanger
03-07-2010, 09:37 PM
I know a lot of people on here will probably think I'm crazy, but try eating them. I had stingray a few weeks back, and it isn't a bad fish. It was a little dry, but a bit of lemon spiced it up a bit. Just cut off the flaps and skin them, then shallow fry them as you would any other fillet. To kill it, flip it upside down and stab it through the head, in between the eyes (may seem barbaric, but it is the quickest and least harmful way to kill them.)

Just don't cut off the tail and chuck them back. I've seen people do it, and I can never understand why. Then again, they're the same sort of people who will take a 15cm bream, so go figure I guess.

Cheers,
Kaidon

snodger 08
03-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Caught a heap of small ones in Bribie passage a while back and got the hang of flipping them on their back and pulled them on to the side of the boat. The Mrs held the tail with the gaff while I removed the hook. Caught some massive ones in south oz on light gear, so I just cut the line or help them break it by putting the breaks on with the rod pointing at them.
Steve