PDA

View Full Version : What wind???

Barrow
30-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Hi all,

Well after much nagging and begging and house painting and begging I have got my boat (Tournament 2000, 150 Etec) as a newbie to Moreton Bay I was disapointed to see the wind will be up this weekend 15 knots + :'( . what would be the max safe wind you would consider going out in? does the bay offer any sort of protection or is it just ugly out there?

Cheers
brent

Prowl n Wolf
30-06-2010, 05:13 PM
g'dat barrow, your probably keen as to get out there and your boat would most likely handle conditions greater than the winds forecast but i reckon save it for a better day as it is just uncomftable in the open waters of the bay. maybe somewhere more protected like the pumicestone passage or similar.

bastard
30-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Id toe it down to horizon shores,pay the twenty bucks,good ramp and pontoons and no stress for the family on the first trip out,pack a few snaggs shoot over to tipplers and use the bbqs and spend the day exploring the area,the boat would be fine in the bay but you have to keep them all happy,hope you have a blast.

Barrow
01-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys,

I like the sound of horizon shores Bastard, where is tipplers?

Cheers

Argle
01-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Tipplers (or whats left of it) is in Tipplers channel on South Stradbroke Island. There is a kiosk there now - drinks ice creams etc. All around the jumpinpin area is pretty sheltered and there are lots of spots to be able to pull up on the beach to stretch the legs and have a look around - just watch the tides if they are running out as they can drop quite quickly.
Grab yourself a copy of "Beacon to Beacon" from the newsagent - its a bit like a refidex for the water and will be invaluable for navigating around down the pin, lots of channels and markers can be a bit confusing but the B2B will put you right, it will also give you an idea of places and names that you might see bandied around on here.
We get down that way as often as we can its a top spot - especially with young kids.

Enjoy
Scott

ps attached a pic of our new addition parked up in Tipplers channel out the front of Southern Haven which is just south of Tipplers itself

odes20
01-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Hi Barrow
Congrats on the new rig and all. Just a thought.

I have found many new boaties can get frustrated about the weather being adverse so much and not suiting their plans.
I often encourage new boaties to do the research locally and find out what the general flow of seasonal winds are noted to be. Good thing about that is you can then plan holidays/time off in the most likely times of year etc.

Im not assuming you don't already know these things but I have found many who don't have a clue of these issues and are often dissalussioned.

Even then the weather does what it wants! but if you know the prevailing conditions you will be less frustrated.

Cheers
John

ahamay
01-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Definitely be careful around the pin if you've never been there before. Watch your markers carefully. A small mistake on the wrong side of a marker can be a long wait as this guy found out last weekend.

http://ahamay.us/ausfish/ground.jpg

Barrow
02-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Hey thats me last weekend....lol

Is there any fishing to be had around tipplers?

Cheers

mattyd
02-07-2010, 01:20 PM
LOL... that photo reminds of taking my lady for a valentines day BBQ at Morningside Park (Bris. River) earlier this year.

We saw how lovely the park looked from the boat and thoughy "hmmm...what a great place to pull up for a picnic?!"

Go to leave 5 hours later and we're sinking up to our groin in sludge.....the boat is sitting in a few inches of water on about a meter of quick sand-like mud!.

Covered in mud and having to wait 3-4 hours for a high tide isn't the nicest conclusion to an otherwise romantic Valentines day!!

:)

tigermullet
02-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Definitely be careful around the pin if you've never been there before. Watch your markers carefully. A small mistake on the wrong side of a marker can be a long wait as this guy found out last weekend.

http://ahamay.us/ausfish/ground.jpg

I saw that bloke as I went past. How people can run between a pair of green markers is beyond me but that sand and shell bank catches a few every year.

ahamay
02-07-2010, 02:14 PM
I saw that bloke as I went past. How people can run between a pair of green markers is beyond me but that sand and shell bank catches a few every year.

That stretch there at the intersection to turn to head to Jacobs well and slightly south of those green markers is an absolute joke and why the broadwater needs dredging. The next red marker makes that section like a chicane. Particularly bad when there is a few big cruisers all trying to pass through there together.