PDA

View Full Version : Johnson 60hp 4 stroke service

Bend09
30-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Hey Fellas

Just got the quote back for a service on my johnno 4 stroke they want $623 to change impeller and standard service. Does this sound right to you or is he having a go at me?

Steeler
30-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Ring around a few dealers and compare should enlighten you as to whether your being had ?.

Noelm
30-06-2010, 09:18 AM
it seems a bit high, but all 4 stroke services are very high these days, even though they should not be so.

timddo
30-06-2010, 10:39 AM
I recently did a service myself - 2 stroke though. $17 for spark plugs (4) and $42 for an impella. $20 for gearcase oil . 6 cans of grog and alll done

Works out under $100

Jarrah Jack
30-06-2010, 04:39 PM
If you are in any way mech minded then invest in a manual . A clymer one for the basic stuff and do your own servicing or as much as you can. Oil change and filter, impeller and gearbox oil should be straight foward then if there is anything more complicated needed then take it to the expensive mechanic.

=Wookie=
30-06-2010, 04:56 PM
I got a manual for my motor off ebay, I just did a service myself. Gear oil, Impeller, Plugs and low-speed tune and re-greased all linkages. Took me about half a day being the first time I have done it and taking my time.

As timddo said above under $100 and all is good.

Kdog
01-07-2010, 08:00 AM
I recently did a service myself - 2 stroke though. $17 for spark plugs (4) and $42 for an impella. $20 for gearcase oil . 6 cans of grog and alll done

Works out under $100

Mate, I love your style.;D

But another 6 cans for a debrief after you have finished would go down well.:P

Noelm
01-07-2010, 08:13 AM
OK, now while I don't dispute that non genuine manuals and cheap ebay CD copies and so on are OK, they are no where near as good or detailed as a proper OEM manual for your specific model, buy a genuine one and be done with it.

Spaniard_King
01-07-2010, 09:22 AM
it seems a bit high, but all 4 stroke services are very high these days, even though they should not be so.

Noel, Are you saying they should not be dear compared to a 2 stroke. Curious as to why you think they are too dear?

Thunderace2
01-07-2010, 09:39 AM
OK, now while I don't dispute that non genuine manuals and cheap ebay CD copies and so on are OK, they are no where near as good or detailed as a proper OEM manual for your specific model, buy a genuine one and be done with it.

Down load the pdf from here, cost me $8
http://www.readmanual.com/
All good

gr hilly
01-07-2010, 10:27 AM
the cost of a service on any outboard is quickly becoming close to pathetic i have an old mate and i watch him work on outboards he is 75 yrs old now and he is retired but he was only last week telling me that outboard mechanic's today should own 10 houses and own 40 ft boats but before bad remarks come back at me in 1983 i watched him whilst on air sea rescue duty tow a upturned 19 footer out of the jumpinpin bar tow it back to the ramp this was at 10 pm 2 90 jhonsons by 430 am both the motors were back on the water and the boat was ready for work and the motors were running perfect.he said at todays service prices he could do the same job as a normal service.
Hilly

Steeler
01-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Does that mean both Garry ( spaniard king ) and Huey are the richest men on Ausfish;)

Steeler

Spaniard_King
01-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Hilly, somehow I think your mate has lost touch with the cost and reality of doing buisness these days.

Spaniard_King
01-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Does that mean both Garry ( spaniard king ) and Huey are the richest men on Ausfish;)

Steeler

yep, I am going down to "'MY Marina" and take one of the 40fters from the fleet out for a run this weekend:-?

Steeler
01-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Which one of those nine holiday houses will you pulling up to in the 40fter for the weekend ?.Or will you just leave the boat parked 80klm out in the capable hands of your full time crew and get the helicopter back in ?.

MY ALIBI
01-07-2010, 12:13 PM
tell me about it i just got my 2008 22hp verado back from a service and a $698 bill ,, i near fell over ,filter , impeler gear lube eng oil, fuel filter all smart craft tests and 5 hrs labour @ $ 88a hr .... still nead plugs holy crap i reckon all good 4 a 100 hrs now thank god

Noelm
01-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Noel, Are you saying they should not be dear compared to a 2 stroke. Curious as to why you think they are too dear?
no no, not at all, but it SEEMS that a lot of dealers are selling motors for tiny profits, but slugging for a service later on, a 4 stroke service maybe a bit dearer than a 2 because of the oil change and filter, but they should not be all that far apart (well I reckon) a service is good value if the dealer does all that is necessary, there is plenty around who do bugger all and still charge the full amount.

gr hilly
01-07-2010, 04:12 PM
$88 per hr crazy money, if you work 6days a week and 10 hr days not bad wages .Hilly

Jarrah Jack
01-07-2010, 05:08 PM
It seems crazy money but as Gary said the cost of doing business is crazy too. If you have to rent a premises, do the bookwork or pay for it , insurance, GST ect ect. I think the electrician who charges 60 of the chippy who charges 50 is better off.

gr hilly
01-07-2010, 05:41 PM
maybe that's why Moterama marine(old Springwood marine )gave me the cheapest quote for my new motor they own their premises.
Hilly

Spaniard_King
01-07-2010, 07:16 PM
maybe that's why Moterama marine(old Springwood marine )gave me the cheapest quote for my new motor they own their premises.
Hilly

Hilly did you ask them what there hourly rate is for service work there:o

Matt76
01-07-2010, 07:51 PM
What do they do that takes 5 hours?

MY ALIBI
01-07-2010, 09:33 PM
well they took gear box of f and new impeler in, lube gear linkages water pump checks , smart craft tests and power steer fluid and checks and what ever else they do i spose .....

Noelm
02-07-2010, 08:46 AM
While $80+ per hour seems extravegant, it really is not, there is a lot of costs in running a business, remember the guy working on your motor needs to be insured, needs to be paid, needs to have super paid, needs holidays paid, needs sick leave paid, all sorts of things are part and pacel of employing someone, a general rule of thumb (very general) a person costs the company twice their weekly pay! and all this is long before rents, tools and other expenses are taken into account, sure there maybe a few out there who side step a few of these things, and do "cheap" work, but as a general rule, they do not last as long term businesses, they open and close in the first year or two.

gr hilly
02-07-2010, 02:57 PM
well fellas having been a nurseryman growing plants and having retail outlets (nurseries)430am starts till dark 3 weeks off in 20 yrs 7 days a week employing 16 staff im just saying it is to costly to have you guys service my boats.now im retired
aged 56 cheers Hilly

FNQCairns
02-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Yeah $80 dollars an hour today is pretty much the rate a person might consider if it's a big safe job or they feel the need to undercut the competition when business tendering etc.

As long as it's an honest $100p/h, it's not extraordinary today, consultants often pull $120 p/h and often these jokers are those that history has shown couldn't hold down a salary in the same industry their now consulting in...what's a lawyer or another true profession look to pull these days.

Although it's not nice to have to pay these rates.

timddo
02-07-2010, 03:16 PM
The only problem is they charge by the book. IT may only take 1 hour but charge you 3 hours .

Jarrah Jack
02-07-2010, 03:34 PM
The only problem is they charge by the book. IT may only take 1 hour but charge you 3 hours .

Thats the crunch one and thats why a mobile mechanic is handy. You know exactly the amount of time they put in and they don't charge you for all those other things that can take up their time. They can also show you how to go about doing your own serviceing.

Hilly.......... Time to smell the flowers now. Are you going to do your own serviceing as well. I just ordered three impellers etc for my motors and will give it a go.

gr hilly
02-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Yeah $80 dollars an hour today is pretty much the rate a person might consider if it's a big safe job or they feel the need to undercut the competition when business tendering etc.

As long as it's an honest $100p/h, it's not extraordinary today, consultants often pull $120 p/h and often these jokers are those that history has shown couldn't hold down a salary in the same industry their now consulting in...what's a lawyer or another true profession look to pull these days.

Although it's not nice to have to pay these rates.

it might be the going rate these days but believe me i personally made more money than my opposition simply by being the cheapest in the field.

Hilly