PDA

View Full Version : Any idears please

The-easyrider
29-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Hi Guys, Iam after a easy fix because I am a bit to lazy to do it properly at the moment. The problem is that one of the hinges on my kill tank lid has stripped the screws out of the floor. The right way to fix this would involve cutting through the sika and removing the kill tank and live bait tank combo, which would also require first removing the engine cover and disconecting the plumbing. I am not able to get a hand through to the underside to fit nuts or resin to the other side of the bolts. The fixings seem to be metal threads that were taped into the glass. If I filled the holes with resin and retapped the holes would this hold at least till I was less lazy? Or is there another way around this.

FNQCairns
29-06-2010, 09:19 PM
how about mixing a little epoxy with talcum powder until it still flows under gravity and by dribbling apply just enough over 4 or 5 hard setting applications until the holes are filled or small enough to re-tap with the screws.

Only epoxy though, it's a true adhesive and could quite possibly make the thread stronger than original.

Another way is to drill each stripped hole out to a tight fit for some sort of solid plug. Coat the solid plug with epoxy as well as line the hole with it then tap the plug home, you can even use a hardwood dowl for this because once the dowl is coated in epoxy it wards of rot fairly well.

deckie
29-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Epoxy is ok but may not seat/bond with existing as well. U could also use probond and might be better suited to existing poly resins around it. It has all sorts of goodies in it like kevlar and is monumentally tough. Its more w/proof than poly resin and possibly as good as epoxy for adhesion (dont quote me on that). After using the stuff i can highly recommend it for most repairs. Easy too coz u just mix it like poly resin with same catalyst at 1-2% temp and setting time dependant. Added benefit that basic poly flowcoat sticks perfectly straight to it and u can glass over easily if needed. I'm guessing screwing into the probond might be strong enough.
Does it truly need to be screwed or would it be easier/ok to just "glue" it ?
You can get small amounts of epoxy "putty" at chandlery's but never tried them.

shrunken pojie
30-06-2010, 08:12 AM
You could be really lazy and just use a bigger screw and reseal it with sika.

DAVE_S
30-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Drill out the holes and glue in some s/steel metal threads , boat builders use them all the time just can not remember what there called. But i do know that boltmasters carry them . If its solid fibreglass use a polyester glue if its timber use a epoxy glue .

The-easyrider
30-06-2010, 10:29 AM
If I drill out the hole to suit a larger screw or metal thread I would need to drill out the hinge as well and there is not much meat around the hole now and the holes in the deck are close to the tank edge.

TimiBoy
30-06-2010, 10:43 AM
It's time for a new boat...

Cheers,

Tim