PDA

View Full Version : Airbag hull boat

Argle
29-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Reading in this months F&B the latest in plate boat design has an airbag suspension in it! Not air bag seats or anything, this thing has a two piece hinged hull with airbags to provide a cushioning effect:o Apparently it works really well - maybe even in NQ chop?
Details are a bit thin but they are going to do a report in future editions, its made in Lake Macquarie.
Be very interesting to see how the design works, anyone from down that way seen or heard any more about it?

Cheers
Scott

FNQCairns
29-06-2010, 02:06 PM
So I guess deck/topside is cushioned from the hull proper where the outboard also mounts, sounds good, interested to see more myself.

Argle
29-06-2010, 02:27 PM
There wasnt a lot of detail in the pictures, the bottom section of the hull seemed to be able to move vertically, and it was hinged towards the rear, kind of like a birds beak with the same sort of overlap - really weird sounding but the more I think about it the more it seems workable.

Cheers

Steeler
29-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Dare i say it but only the very best of things come out of Lake Macquarie.

Chimo
29-06-2010, 05:56 PM
And only about $10,000 extra on a 5.5 m boat so you might not need to get an 8 m boat after all.

Cheers
Chimo

fishingrod
29-06-2010, 06:16 PM
This is the joint here fella's:

http://www.spacecraftboats.com/Another-First-for-Spacecraft.html

I was speaking to a local up there a couple of months ago about the new hulls. He didnt know much about them, or just didnt want to say too much.

Rod