PDA

View Full Version : live bait tank plumbing HELP

Escape with LG
29-06-2010, 07:09 AM
hey guys,

So decided to put a live bait tank into my tinnie and the only thing im not sure about is how high on the transom do i plumb the overflow to im thinking drill it through right beside the pickup hole for the pump (beside the bungs) so that it will completely drain the tank when i unscrew the overflow pole! Am i right in thinking that at rest the only water that will come back up this hole will be as high as the waterlevel on the outside of my boat!!! i.e its not just going to keep comming in is it!!!!! Stupid qestion but just needed reassurance!!!

kizza1
29-06-2010, 07:21 AM
yes what your saying is correct. make sure all your hoses have sikaflex on them aswell as hose clamps.

Snapp.
29-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Hi Luke,

Post some pics. Hopefully i'll get off early this arvo and check it out

Matt

Jarrah Jack
29-06-2010, 09:53 AM
No need to have another hole below the water line. They should be avoided for obvious reasons. Just drill the hole the same height that you would for a bilge pump outlet, well above the water line.

Escape with LG
29-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Cheers for the reply guys but now there are two conflicting answers!!!! Jack correct me if I'm wrong but if I put the overflow hole above the top of the overflow pipe ie near the Pilage hole, it would only cause the tank to flood as the bilage hole is above the top of the tank!!! Now even if the hole is down near the bungs below the waterline at rest the water that enters that pipe from the external source of water ie ocean, should only rise to the same height as the level of water beside the boat!!!! However will this still allow the overflow to work correctly??????????

Escape with LG
29-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Cheers for the reply guys but now there are two conflicting answers!!!! Jack correct me if I'm wrong but if I put the overflow hole above the top of the overflow pipe ie near the Pilage hole, it would only cause the tank to flood as the bilage hole is above the top of the tank!!! Now even if the hole is down near the bungs below the waterline at rest the water that enters that pipe from the external source of water ie ocean, should only rise to the same height as the level of water beside the boat!!!! However will this still allow the overflow to work correctly??????????

Jarrah Jack
29-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Yep your right. Water will find its own level so in the end the outlet from the boat must be lower than the outlet from the tank. So if you have to put the boat outlet below the waterline then so be it but it will only flow out if the level of the water in the tank is higher than the water line, the water will gravity feed its way out. How fast it will do it I got no idea but if its not as fast as the inflow then you have got problems.

Thats my understanding anyway I may be wrong, its a usual occurance.:) Good luck with it.

Cheers

Escape with LG
29-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Cheers Jack.... All good on the flow in flow out rate I got the adjustable valve that is from the pump!!!! Thanks for the advice guys