PDA

View Full Version : Importing an outboard

LoungeLizard
28-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Has anyone here imported an outboard from the states? I've done some searches but couldn't get any useful info. I'm looking specifically at a used motor 'cause they're hard to come by in Oz and either still cost a bomb or have high hours. I mainly want to know -

1. Was it a significant saving over buying here, after all transport, taxes, duties where factored in? How much was total overhead costs?
2. How much hassle is customs? Any special precautions (oil, fuel, crating etc)?
3. What's the go with servicing/warranties? Any particular makes/models that are easier to import?

Thanx.

Noelm
28-06-2010, 09:15 AM
this has done the rounds a few times now, a new outboard has warranty drama, some will not help you with anything, others will help in a very limited way, second hand should not suffer this probelm, if any wood is used in the packaging/crate, it can be a problem wth quarrantine (as in money) to fumigate and so on, and you need to remember you are buying a motor from the other side of the world, untested and unseen by you, there is savings to e had, but enter with your eyes wide open!

Chimo
28-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Check your pms

LoungeLizard
28-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Noelm,

Do you have any links? I did some searches here but couldn't get much. Maybe I should get the Missus to find it for me :) :)

Yes I realise it could be an costly exercise but no more than importing a whole boat which seems to be done regularly.

ozscott
07-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Maybe this thread should be raised again with our dollar so close to parity and perhaps to go over the US...

Cheers

Noelm
08-10-2010, 07:14 AM
One problem with new motors is finding a dealer that will sell and ship outside the US, there has been plenty that have lost franchises for doing just that, and now days the rest are very cautious, this does not apply to second hand of course, Evinrude dealers will ship (well most will) but Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda and Mercury dealers will not, just try it your self, to make it easy here is a big US dealer to email for a price.
admin@edsmarinesuperstore.com

Flex
08-10-2010, 08:04 AM
If you buy a new one, Remember to say its a second hand one and most dealers will gladly service/fix it for you.
Mention the word "import" and they clam up like a nun.

Good start point can be USA ebay, I wouldnt go private but you will find alot of dealers on there.

LoungeLizard
11-10-2010, 07:25 AM
Maybe this thread should be raised again with our dollar so close to parity and perhaps to go over the US...

Cheers

I had a look again over the last week or two. All the dealers I've e-mailed basically said piss off, they don't want to lose their dealerships. It looks like the only way you can get a motor is either (a) dodgy dealer (b) buy private or (c) get someone there to buy it for you and ship it over. Options (a) and (b) is too risky for me so that leaves (c) ... could be some money in it for someone?

Evinrude dealers will ship (

That's because you have zero warranty (new or used) once it leaves the country, so even if you did ship it back to the US for repairs you'll get the finger

deckie
11-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Is there a cartel operating whereby several manufacturers collude to force and hold up the price in some countries but not others ?

Spaniard_King
11-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Is there a cartel operating whereby several manufacturers collude to force and hold up the price in some countries but not others ?

Interesting choice of words there Deckie:D

ozscott
11-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Its odd that with outboards. I had a mate that saved over $10k on importing a brand new Merc 350mpi and leg and all the controls just a few months ago...having said that the dealer sold it as a re-firb which it clearly was not. Apparently the only way Merc can sell non pollution control motors is to sell them as factory refirb blocks but they are in fact brand new. The dealer he dealt with is a huge and very well regarded and frequently exports to Australia by merchant ship. This thing is smooth and out of control in his Reef Runner. His dealer here fitted it from the crate and Merc Marine say they will warranty it because of that fitment but I have my (big) doubts...

Cheers

PS. Having looked up some prices if you were going say a 140hp in Suzuki the saving is bugger all, but if you were going over 200hp and especially up in the high 200's and above the savings (initially) are big, but again that warranty issue is the killer.

-spiro-
11-10-2010, 04:31 PM
not worth the hassel and blood pressure i think.

Mike Delisser
11-10-2010, 05:59 PM
There will be duty on new but not on 2nd hand, and it will be checked.

The tourny bass anglers here in OZ with Skeeters & the like are always looking to turn over their outboards every few years, Mercs, ETecs & Yammys 150hp and larger but as they're all short legs there's no market for them. Hence they go very cheap. If you can get your hands on a late model std leg from a scrapped outboard you can end up with bargin.
Cheers

wrxhoon
11-10-2010, 09:34 PM
[quote=Mike Delisser;1213911]There will be duty on new but not on 2nd hand, and it will be checked.

No import duty if made in USA, no difference if new or used, as long as you supply the correct paperwork ( statement of origin)
You will pay GST on both new and used, the GST is payable on all costs including shipping.

By the time you muck around with shipping customs and Q/T in Australia and then pay the gst even with the current $$ value its not worth the effort.

I bought a new 200 Merc Optimax when our $ was mid 90'S in may of 2008 and I saved heaps for 2 reasons .
One: bought cheap (US9.5K) because it was old stock
Two: It cost me zero to transport it here , all I had to do is pay 10% GST , she was a cheap motor at around AU $11K, I could have got the same engine here for $18.5k at the time .
At the time Merc were offering warranty for that motor worldwide as well for 3 years.
When i imported a new boat a year later with a Merc at the back they only offered 12 months outside USA.
If I had to pay shipping, port charges here , cutoms and Q/T it would end up around the $15k+ , not worth the effort.

If you still want to import one , if not made in USA you have to add another 5% import duty.

If you buy a big HP used engine it would probably come from a large moored boat with twin set up, as we all know corrosion kills moored engines very quick..

Defore
12-10-2010, 09:19 AM
[quote]
You will pay GST on both new and used, the GST is payable on all costs including shipping.

I was wondering what the charges are for used items, I think they used to be exempt.
Customs charges are only paid on the value of the item, not postage.

Info from Ebay Australia
Customs charges in Australia are only payable on item/s over $1000aud , thats is the item price only , postage and insurance are NOT included .
You will still "GET DONE" no matter if it is marked PRESENT/GIFT/GOODS/MERCHANDISE or whatever !
Work out before you buy the item if it is really worth saving $200 by shipping the item internationally and getting slugged $150 customs when it arrives in Oz ! just remember you pay fees before you get to see the item . If it is damaged or not what you paid for .... The Customs still get their $$$$ ..... If you send the item back you SERIOUSLY have to jump through hoops to get your money back from Customs.

wrxhoon
12-10-2010, 10:21 AM
[quote=wrxhoon;1213996]

I was wondering what the charges are for used items, I think they used to be exempt.
Customs charges are only paid on the value of the item, not postage.

Info from Ebay Australia
Customs charges in Australia are only payable on item/s over $1000aud , thats is the item price only , postage and insurance are NOT included .
You will still "GET DONE" no matter if it is marked PRESENT/GIFT/GOODS/MERCHANDISE or whatever !
Work out before you buy the item if it is really worth saving $200 by shipping the item internationally and getting slugged $150 customs when it arrives in Oz ! just remember you pay fees before you get to see the item . If it is damaged or not what you paid for .... The Customs still get their $$$$ ..... If you send the item back you SERIOUSLY have to jump through hoops to get your money back from Customs.

Tax is payble on the total cost including shipping , you even pay GST on USA land shipping.

The above is used only for the purpose of colecting tax or not .

Example if you bought an item for $US900 and shipping was US$200 , you will NOT pay GST because the cost of the item is US$900:.9821= AU$916.40.
Under the $1000 they don't bother collecting GST .
If you shipped several items they will go on the total of all items.
If you bought an item for US$1200 and shipping was US$200 you will pay tax on the total amount AU$1421.50 at 10% plus import duty if applicable + customs and maybe Q/T fees .

oldboot
13-10-2010, 11:07 AM
The reason they will be hitting you up for GST on the shipping is that.....dodgy importers on the fiddle will be gettiing invoices where the shipping is overstated and the goods value is understated in an effort to avoid the taxes.

Remember too that any retail importer will be paying GST on shipping with in the country AND that costs of shipping and packing will be factored into the end retail cost.

Remember too..that many of the retail items we se in the shops that come from asia and china, the costs of shipping and packing will be near the factory door costs of ithe item its self.

If that item was made and shipped entirely within australia, GST would be applied to all the input costs.

So at least there is a level playing field of sorts.

cheers