PDA

View Full Version : Honda 90hp (carby) / Sea Jay 5.4m Reviews/Opinions/Things to look out for?

Salad Fingers
27-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Looking at getting a Sea Jay 5.4m with a 90hp Honda on it, 2005 I think, carby model (when did they go to EFI?).

Couple of questions - What should I look for on this motor when inspecting it? I heard some of the hondas had probs with corrosion?
Whats everyone heres general experience with these motors? I do a few hours in my boat (at least 250/Year) so it will get a workout usually going fairly long distances.

Also does anyone on here have a 5.4m Sea Jay (haven)? if so what are you thoughts on it?

Im upgrading from a stacer 469 MP nomad.

Lucky_Phill
27-06-2010, 08:33 PM
The old Honda 90 Carby models have been run by pro's out of Mooloolaba. Line mackerel guys.

One traded his in after 4500hrs. :o Only one problem, the seat where the float pin in the carby sits, elongated. But what would you expect after 4500 hours. :-?

These motors are very good, from the reports I have. Not as light as the EFI's I believe.

My EFI Honda is a 2003 model, but a 130hp.

Cheers Phill

Jarrah Jack
27-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Fancy meeting you here. Hope it goes well and you get to join the meter club.:)

Spaniard_King
27-06-2010, 09:52 PM
2007 The EFI models came out. No dramas with the 90hp carby model. As with all engines ensure the anodes are doing there job and you will have no issues with corrosion.

Treat it the same as you would any 4 stroke and it will return you the same.

Smithy
28-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Mates with them on a cat are forever doing starter motors and engine seals. Could be a cat thing that they are a lot wetter both running (misting) and at rest. The starter motor ended up having the part number of a Mitsubishi starter motor so they have been using them since and cheap as chips compared to genuine where they were being charged like a wounded bull.

therapy
28-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Don't know much about out boards but I my first boat was a 5.2mtr Seajay with a 50hp tiller. Great boat but wet as tinnies are. Went offshore mooloolaba plenty of time's, camping at Moreton no problem. You will love it!!

Cheers....Terry.....

Salad Fingers
14-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Well picked it up this arvo, seems pretty good so far.
Extremely beamy for a 5.4m, nearly 2.5m wide at the 'flared' part of the bow.
I can lay down accross the casting deck without touching the sides of the boat and im not a particularly small person! :)
Should be good for overnighters, which is one of the reasons I got it.

Seems a little slow, but you gotta expect that with only a 90.

Anyone have any idea of the sort of rough fuel economy I should be expecting out of this honda 90? 2km/ltr?

Spaniard_King
15-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Somewhere between 1.6-2klm /litre

What does she rev out to??

Salad Fingers
15-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Somewhere between 1.6-2klm /litre

What does she rev out to??

Cool, not 100% sure yet.
With 4 on board it was a bit north of 5500rpm i believe, I will check this weekend when i take it for a good run and play with trimming it out a bit and stuff.

It has a Solas 13.5x15p prop on it (alu.).
Thinking about going a stainless with a higher pitch as I usually travel pretty light and with only 2 people up.

What has your experience been with stainless props with the hondas, any particular brands I should go for?

Spaniard_King
15-07-2010, 02:42 PM
I would rather it got close to 6000rpm with normal load at full trim out without cavitating. I am thinking you will need a 15 stainless.. Solas are ok as well as quicksilver/merc props.

Salad Fingers
15-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Cheers for the help spaniard king, much appreciated.

Couple pics for ya's.
Hopeing to take it out for a good drive somewhere this weekend.
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu285/SaladFingers/newboat001jpg_s.jpg
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu285/SaladFingers/newboat002jpg_s.jpg
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu285/SaladFingers/newboat005jpg_s.jpg
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu285/SaladFingers/newboat004jpg_s.jpg

Salad Fingers
17-07-2010, 03:05 PM
I would rather it got close to 6000rpm with normal load at full trim out without cavitating. I am thinking you will need a 15 stainless.. Solas are ok as well as quicksilver/merc props.

Ok so after playing around with it today found that I must have been a bit off with my previous comments.
Took it out today with what i would call a normal load for me (two blokes, esky, fishing gear and full tank).
Managed to hit 6200 at WOT with it trimmed right out. 6100 with it trimmed to where i would usually run it.

So I could probably go up a pitch?

Spaniard_King
17-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Ok so after playing around with it today found that I must have been a bit off with my previous comments.
Took it out today with what i would call a normal load for me (two blokes, esky, fishing gear and full tank).
Managed to hit 6200 at WOT with it trimmed right out. 6100 with it trimmed to where i would usually run it.

So I could probably go up a pitch?

I would be staying with what you have.. thats perfect for me.

Do not be concerned about runing in the hight rpm range >>> all day;)

If anything try and borrow a 16 stainless to try.. the 15 sounds perfect.

Jarrah Jack
17-07-2010, 05:57 PM
What is the deadrise on her Salad? Looks like it will handly the chop better than those GS's.

Salad Fingers
17-07-2010, 11:29 PM
no idea Jarrah Jack, but yes it handles the chop pretty good I think for what it is.
I was out in the harbour today, 35/40kmhr winds, and it performed really well.
Wet obviously, but you have to expect that with a console, especially a rear one.

Cheers for the info Spaniard King, I wasn't sure if those RPMS would be ok for driving it at WOT a fair bit. I'd still like to get a stainless prop for it though so might give solas a call next week.

Salad Fingers
23-05-2011, 10:11 PM
yo, draging this thread up again guys.
I had the rig for nearly a year now, love it, good boat.

Now, props, speed and stuff.
I recently changed to a solas 17p alloy prop i think in feb this year.
It still goes to 6000rpm fully trimmed out and increased my WOT speed from 60kmhr to 65kmhr, happy with that - good result.

I want to get a stainless prop for it pretty soon though, do you fellas think a 17p 'stella' SS prop from solas would work good? or are there better options for the money?

I will keep the 15p alloy for trpis when im fully loaded up with fuel and beer.