PDA

View Full Version : Stacer Vs Seajay Vs Stessco

Seahorse
27-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Iam Looking At A New Tinnie.
I Want About 4.5 Tiller With At Least 50hp.
I Have Looked At A Stacer Nomad 449.
Looks Good But Has Bench Seats.
I Like The Idea Of A Complete Flat Floor And A Couple Of Pedical Seats That U Can Change Around.
I Noticed That Stessco And Sea Jay Do This But Havnt Seen One Yet.
I Will Tomorrow.
Iam Downgrading So Any Help Or Advice Is Appreciated.
Does Anyone Have Any Experience With What Iam Looking For.
I Will Buy Something This Week.
My Mind Is Made Up.
The Stacer 489 Is Being Replaced.
It Is Regrettable, But Just To Big For Me To Handle By Myself.
I Love My Boat.

Cheers
Greg

Kondo 1
27-06-2010, 07:43 PM
I Like The Idea Of A Complete Flat Floor And A Couple Of Pedical Seats That U Can Change Around.
I Will Tomorrow.
My Mind Is Made Up.
I Love My Boat.

Cheers
Greg

Gday Greg,

Mate a vote here for the seajay, i have a 4.55 territory with a 50 4 stroke yamaha. Its no rocket ship (though I have probably been spoilt in the past) cruises at 22 knots and flat out about 28 but i think with a few adjustments I will get a bit more.

Rides nice and very dry for what it is with the reverse chines, layout is great, especially with the underfloor tank in mine.

I normally fish alone and very very easy to handle by myself, I dont even use the reduction gear on the winch, just straight 1:1 and it comes up great and centred, heaps easier though with some silicon spray on the runners, though that applies for all boats.

The boat itself is very solid, no twist in the boat at all through any chop, the welding is great.

I have had a few tinnies (though not stacer or stessco) but yeah overall extremely happy with my purchase.

Seahorse
27-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Kondo.
Thanks Mate.
Has The Territory Got Bench Seats Or Pedisal Seats.
I Thought A 50hp Would Be Like A Rocket.
What Did U Get And How Long Ago And Where Did U Buy.

Cheers
Greg

Tangles
27-06-2010, 08:50 PM
the sea jay 4.55 territory i had, had a 50 yammie 4 stroke, cruised at 36-40kph, flat chat around 52-55kph with just 2 people and normal fishing gear/esky, great tinny, had pedestal seats, i upgraded those from the standard sea-jay ones to ones with upholestery ones, you could change the position of the seats around as well easily

great tinny and you cant go wrong with one

geoffmck
27-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Mate, for value for money check out the Brooker Safari. Flat floor, casting decks, rails, anchor well, 3mm bottom, 2mm sides etc.

Kondo 1
27-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Kondo.
Thanks Mate.
Has The Territory Got Bench Seats Or Pedisal Seats.
I Thought A 50hp Would Be Like A Rocket.
What Did U Get And How Long Ago And Where Did U Buy.

Cheers
Greg

Hi Greg,

Pedestal Seats, with 6 positions - though I will be changing from the standard seats to something a bit nicer...

Mate to be fair it isn't bad - I do carry some gear/weight and my last boat had a 3 cyl yamaha 50hp 2 stroke on a Brooker fisherman, that thing was wild and whilst overall it wasn't much quicker at WOT getting there it blows most other boats to the weeds :) I still think mine will see 30 knots loaded but it will take some tinkering with props etc. I was just spoilt with the pickup on the old boat.

I have had it 3 months and probably put about 20 odd hours on it, I'll be honest there are far cheaper boats around, and good ones too but for mine (this boat will be with me for some time) this was the best option.

Quite honestly the whole package does work together nicely, and I think for what it is great but it all comes back to your budget... I bought from Stones corner and it was a painless experience, would be very happy to buy there again.

Seahorse
27-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks Kondo.
I Will Call In There Tomorrow

BOMBIE
27-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Why not try the poly, ride is good + NO cracking welds,split chines,paint peel, etc got rid of a'foil boat , I finally got one luv it 4.1 with 50 goes like sh-t off shovel

BOMBIE
27-06-2010, 10:08 PM
I Will Tomorrow.
My Mind Is Made Up.
I Love My Boat.

Cheers
Greg + How many times has ALBO?/STESSCO/four seasons;):-X /!!!!! gone bust>:( .ps dont touch them!!!!!:( :(

Flex
28-06-2010, 10:12 AM
My vote is a seajay

Tinny tackle show proved that in comparison they have one of the better quality tinny's in terms of welds and finish. But reasonably priced. ALso you can option extra ribs,side pockets,rails etc. underfloor tank

Im a fan of the 4.55 Hull, reverse chine and I think 14deg deadrise. They ride rather well for a tinny.

I like the SP model. Complete flat floor. So if you fish in slightly rough condition the bow is deeper for fishing, aswell as pulling anchor. but thats a personal choice.

Another boat I liked was the 440 mako truck, bit pricier than the seajay, and heavier but similar layout.

Not many other tinny's in mid price range have complete flat floor with pedalstal seats

Noelm
28-06-2010, 10:25 AM
not too sure how much of a downgrade a 4.5 is from a 4.8! my son has the Stacer setup for comp Bream fishing, and it is fine, probably no better or worse than the others though, I reckon just shop for the best price, they are all very similar, I had a look at the Allison Alloy on the weekend when "tyre kicking" at a dealer while buying some bits and pieces, and the price with a Suzulki 4 stroke seemed pretty good to me. and it looked the part, pretty well built, but then, how much different can they be?

ahamay
28-06-2010, 10:34 AM
+ How many times has ALBO?/STESSCO/four seasons;):-X /!!!!! gone bust>:( .ps dont touch them!!!!!:( :(

There's plenty of Stessco's out there with happy owners. Their build and weld quality etc from what I've seen recently exceeds that of some of the big name pressed boats like quintrex.

robersl
28-06-2010, 10:41 AM
I have a stessco 4.2 with a 40 hp floor casting deck 5 seat postions good side not as high as the territory 4.55 but a lot higher than the brooker safari it is not a pretty boat but is a very dry boat in chop they also make a 4.5 with good size sides check them out as to bombie comments i am pretty sure they are still trading but you could always check that out if you buy through a dealer you would be paying a deposit to the dealer

shane

Seahorse
28-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Noelm.
Maynot Seem Much Of A Downgrade, But Its Just That The Stacer Is A Runabout, 75 On Back, Cant Get Anytjing Out Standing Outside, Gotta Get Up Into It All The Time.
Cant Move Around By Hand At Home.
Just A Big Job To Clean Etc.

Flex
I Looked At The 4.55 Sp Today. I Liked The Flat Floor All The Way.
Finish Was Good.
I Think I Like The Yammy Power Trim And Tilt Better All On The Handle.
The Merc Is A Sep Button Monted On Gunnel Or Seat.
The Under Floor Fuel Section Was Also Good.
The Stessco Looked Ok, Just Didnt Seem To Have The Neater Welds As The Sea Jay And Can Only Find Mercs With Their Dealers.
Stessco Are Still Making Heaps Of Boats Because I Supply The Paint For Them Through A Contractor.
Iam Leaning To Seajay.
Real Nice Bloke Down At Stones Corner Marine.
May Be Time To Talk Some Turkey.

Anyone Want To Buy A 489 Stacer With Heaps Extras

Cheers
Greg

Noelm
28-06-2010, 02:10 PM
my son is selling his setup later to get something a bit bigger and different, but it would sort of suit what you are after, shame you are not a bit closer you could have a look and go for a spin without any salesman "pressure" it has the flat floor, tiller steer with trim n tilt, and various places for the seats to "plug" into, plus a front mount electric and all the odds and ends that goes into a Bream boat, did you see the Alison Alloy? but as I mentioned it is no better than anything else, just looked well made and well priced.

lifestyle
28-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Check out what TABS have to offer

Huey
28-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi, Stacer also do the 449 Nomad Elite that comes with full floor, front and rear casting decks, bimini, underfloor fuel tank and 2 removable pedestals seats with underfloor sockets. All this plus the main reason why I would buy the Stacer, and do buy about 100 per year, is that they have the EVO hull that is a proven hull shape. It gives you a deep vee so a good ride and reversed chines for good stability-nothing new though most glass boats for 30 plus years have had a similar shape and it works. Stacer came out with it in about 2001 and it is interesting how alot of other alloy builders now have a similar shape.

Most important when buying anything is the dealer and the fact that the manufacturer is and will be around for the long haul and Telwater will be.

Just my 2 cents worth and best of luck with your desecion.

Cheers,

Huey.

FNQCairns
28-06-2010, 02:49 PM
When i was looking for a tinny I had trouble finding out which one might punch hardest for it's length...IMO this is really important in tinnys.

Largely because the builders have this belief that a glossy brochure with the most basic specifications is about all a person wants to know about their product or the thousands they are spending.

Not a problem hop on the phone and talk to someone the company employs to help customers/owners out.

Wrong! of the 4 company's I rang because i couldn't find their offering in the flesh to get the information not one answered any of my questions because i suspect they couldn't find it in the brochure.

simple things like:

Wetted length, width at chine, max deadrise and transom deadrise, height of floor and or chine front and rear from hull keel line, number of full underfloor bulkheads, number of full height (to gunnel) ribs + a couple of other speciffic to their offering. i didnt expect to get all answered but just some to help rulle the hull in for further investigation instead of out because of a lack of interest all round.

With some extra but still basic information like these a person can start to sort the hulls from the 'hulls', and then with some grid paper a ruler and a pencil the boats potential ability's can come alive... in theory anyway.

personally of the 3 above this is what I would consider doing first....a map of the most important part of the boat.

Seahorse
28-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Huey
Are You Involved With Stacer?

Fnq
I Havnt Asked Any Those Questions

Cheers
Greg

gr hilly
28-06-2010, 03:51 PM
there is nothing rong with the new stessco models they have improved out of sight in the last couple of years with deep sides good welds and a dry as can be expected for their models don't overlook them they are good value for money i have been in a couple recently and i am 18 stone the late models are a good boat have a good look mate.
Hilly

Huey
28-06-2010, 04:29 PM
No, not involved with them as such just a Sydney dealer that has been in this marine business almost 50 years and could sell any brand of alloy boat I like and over the years basically have. We have been selling Telwater boats for about 20 years and they are well made boats and I was pointing out the fact that Stacer have the elite version that you may not be aware of and the fact that the hull shape makes them ride very well and the fact that Telwater willbe around in the long run and in fact I just received word that they have just aquired another SE QLD brand of alloy boat called A///craft so a company that makes bad boats would not be in a position to do that as well as already owning the 3 biggest in Stacer / Quintrex and Savage.

If you like the other brands that is great but I would look very hard at the 449 Nomad Elite because I have looked at all brands and have most wanting us to stock their boats but I think Stacer are the best IMO.

Cheers,

Huey.