PDA

View Full Version : decent poppers brands for trevally

004dam
26-06-2010, 10:25 PM
hey all,

Currently using poppers i have one that i have caught small bream/trevally and now a queenie on. but nothing decent its only a small popper 4-5cm clear in color . have found a well producing trevally spot lately only getting them on bait though so i want to carve up the water with some poppers to see if i can get some on the bite.

So what size/brands/models/colors are recommended for species from 45cm - 58cm ( golden and silver ) so far we have caught there. water gets clear on the high and merky on the low

Also with my smaller popper i use now the front treble catchs the line some times and wrecks the action. Is this a problem with most poppers or just my cheaper poppers design fault. any ways around this without removing the front treble?

sprocketman
27-06-2010, 11:48 AM
My favourite is the Halco Rooster 105 in both Pilchard and White Redhead.

I find the front treble wraps around your leader when you work the popper too hard and it gets airborne.

Scott79
27-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Check out the Rapala Skitterpops - perfect for chasing fish of this size. As with all smaller poppers, overwork them and they will tangle.
If what you are using already tangles a bit, maybe experiment with a small rubber band to pin the front treble to the body? Not sure how much it will affect action in smaller lures though. If it is only occassionally, I would probably just put up with it.
Scott.

Stik-ugly
27-06-2010, 09:03 PM
I have had good results with river to sea bubble pops in either 45 or 65 especialy on Trevs in the estuary

004dam
28-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Check out the Rapala Skitterpops - perfect for chasing fish of this size. As with all smaller poppers, overwork them and they will tangle.
If what you are using already tangles a bit, maybe experiment with a small rubber band to pin the front treble to the body? Not sure how much it will affect action in smaller lures though. If it is only occassionally, I would probably just put up with it.
Scott.

Thanks for the rubber band tip I might try that. I thought it may tangle on casting but I do try to make some noise for the trevas.

What's the best retrivel for trevally continuous big pops I have been doing on my smaller lure and it got the queenie.

ant_72
28-06-2010, 01:29 PM
i have found the Yo zuri 3d and the jackall sk pops grande to be the best action poppers i have used. They both kick up good splash when blooped without having to really try to rip them.

Scott79
29-06-2010, 09:05 AM
The Skitterpops work really well when blooped with a pause.
Mix it up a bit and see what works at your location - change the speed / the pause / technique etc until it works.

004dam
29-06-2010, 10:40 AM
The Skitterpops work really well when blooped with a pause.
Mix it up a bit and see what works at your location - change the speed / the pause / technique etc until it works.

What size and color do you recommend in the skitterpop range?

I try to do a big pop with a small pause but shall soon see what works.

Scott79
29-06-2010, 12:32 PM
There's a 9cm and a 12cm version. The 12 cm version appears alot bigger overall than the 9cm, and is significantly heavier.
I have only used the 9cm in Red Head and a Natural Blue colour. Colour is always going to be persoanl choice, but there is a common belief of dark colours on bright days and bright colours on dark days.

004dam
29-06-2010, 09:07 PM
There's a 9cm and a 12cm version. The 12 cm version appears alot bigger overall than the 9cm, and is significantly heavier.
I have only used the 9cm in Red Head and a Natural Blue colour. Colour is always going to be persoanl choice, but there is a common belief of dark colours on bright days and bright colours on dark days.

thanks for your help, i looked on the site the blue one seems pretty good and might try the bubble pop in the clear color.

would these sizes suit 88mm bubble pop and ill go the 90mm skitter pop i think

004dam
30-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Ended up gettin a gobo popper60 mm in a silvery color and two bolt ballistic poppers in a clear bronze color and a another silvery color these are 70mm. They didn't stock rapalas abd the bubble pop seemed a bit big for the trevas around.

kickback
30-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Yeah mate! Skitterpops all the way - my avatar even has a skitterpop trevally!!

I own 3-4 skitterpops, yo-zuri and lucky crafts - skitterpops always comes first (only cos its my favourite and caught me most fish!)

Way too expensive in Australia to purchase, bulk buy with a few mates or even with Ausfish members from the USA for $7.50 each ;)

004dam
30-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Yeah mate! Skitterpops all the way - my avatar even has a skitterpop trevally!!

I own 3-4 skitterpops, yo-zuri and lucky crafts - skitterpops always comes first (only cos its my favourite and caught me most fish!)

Way too expensive in Australia to purchase, bulk buy with a few mates or even with Ausfish members from the USA for $7.50 each ;)

My local tackle world said he hasn't stocked any for a few years! I will check out bcf on the weeken.

004dam
30-06-2010, 05:57 PM
With the split ring do people generally take them off or keep them on