PDA

View Full Version : scanoe setup

tim barra master
25-06-2010, 11:36 PM
I have finally bought a coleman scanoe one of the older ones with the aluminium ribs and am really interested to see how others have setup there rigs
flooring esky tackle box battery box etc
Please show photos I have already a coleman crawdad that i am rapped in and have fishd in for years now but it cannot be steared down rappids as its got a punt shape thats why the scanoe has been purchased
My equipment will be a 4hp4stroke yamy
A 2hp honda 4stroke
A 55lb terova with ilpot up front
A 55lb tiller at the stern powered by 2 trojan 115 6v batteries 235amps
obviously i will only use one outboard at a time with one electric up front or two electrics where outboards cannot be used
I am planning to set up a remote steering and throttle for the outboards such as a single joy stick type stick left and right for steering and forward and back for throttle using two cables havent thought too much about reverse for the yammy might just make it spin 180 deg along with the honda that has no reverse
Removable swivel seats fitted
A 981c humminbird side immaging sounder
i plan to fit scotty rod holders two up front two at the helm
launching will be from a purpose built trailer ( skids only no rollers to support canoe) as i have bad shoulders i cannot lift it onto a vehicle roof
I plan to have the transducer shooting trough the hull as its too expensive to risk on the terova as i fish some really shallow waters at times
Should be a good unit .

GBC
26-06-2010, 03:44 PM
I was going to say add a keel. Those old scanoes were very flat bottomed and once caught by the breeze you were pretty much at its mercy. That is of course unless you have 300 odd kilo of ballast....as you will.
Sounds like a beast.

Apart from rod holders and the sounder/battery everything in my 15' rosco is in a fall off position and not tied to the boat (paddle notwithstanding). I don't fish rapids, and am confident enough to have an outboard without an outrigger. Basically if the boat turns over something untoward has happened and I want to be able to right the boat and go home alive.

In the bigger canadians like ours I'd say keep it simple and saveable.

I was always taught when using them for touring to keep your gear in separate containers which float, but aren't lashed to the boat. That way in an emergency you can refloat the boat and save yourself, then worry about getting your gear back later. I still use that principle.