PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the full moon??

therapy
24-06-2010, 07:22 PM
I have heard that don't bother fishing the full moon night from a few people over the year's and result's for us when we have would suggest there may be something in it. With the forecast this w/end and Sat being the only day I can get out just wondering what other people's thought's and experience's are. I will probably still go as like most of us, I go when the weather's good and I have the time but would be interested to what other's think or have found.

Cheers....Terry......

PinHead
24-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Not sure what species you fish for..but in the estuaries, the full and new moons are the best..plus a couple of days either side of both. I know i will be on the water this time tomorrow night.

jtpython
24-06-2010, 07:25 PM
I think main reason for some is the Current involved with the larger tides........... That was always a fatcor for us . Winter usuasly means small tides . Makes for seeinbg a hell of alot easier. I've been talked into going saturday night so i'll keep you posted
JT

therapy
24-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Gedday Pinhead,
Was thinking of going around the cape and doing an overnighter. The days before and after are generally ok but the actual night of the full moon is the one I have been told not to bother with so wonder how others rate it ( or not)

Terry.....

outsiderskip
24-06-2010, 09:45 PM
terry
ill be there fri nigh toff the cape on vhf21
but i prefer 3 days before and 3 after the moon

pete

peterbo3
24-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Hi Pete,
Heading up to where the trawler was berleying up for us that time. I will give you a yell Sat AM if there is any action. Got the 1KW pumping on the 585.;D;D

therapy
24-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Gedday Pete,
No doubt you'll put together a feed again so I won't bother whishing you luck. Look forward to your report. Unfortunately I don't get home from work until 7ish Friday night so Saturday it is for me (unless I develop some sudden illness..lol)
Cheers....Terry....

outsiderskip
25-06-2010, 05:28 AM
terry ill be fish satnight off the cape too
leaving frm bribie
ill be o 21 vhf

pete

BLOOEY
25-06-2010, 05:33 AM
Terry i'm inclined to agree with that theory. At least for surface feeding trevalley in the estuarys , have never gotten much action at all if any on the night of the full but a few days either side is prime. Ben

therapy
25-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks for your opinions. Pete it will be interesting to see if your results vary over the 2 nights. Talk to you out there on Saturday if the weather is as predicted.

Cheers....Terry....

whiteman
25-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Want Spaniards? Go the full moon.

ozscott
25-06-2010, 01:10 PM
I have had my best bream and taylor nights on full moons at the Pin.

Cheers

blacksunday
27-06-2010, 06:44 PM
well how did u people go fishing the full moon? was in the back yard last night and can say i never seen seen the moon as bright as it was.must have been a lot of light out there on the water for u all.

peterbo3
27-06-2010, 06:50 PM
well how did u people go fishing the full moon? was in the back yard last night and can say i never seen seen the moon as bright as it was.must have been a lot of light out there on the water for u all.

Sounder was lit up like Luna Park.;D;D From Deep to Shallow Tempest, wide of the Cape & up to beyond Hutchies, it was the same story. 90 miles per the GPS. Good shows, no takers. We fished in daylight. A few fish were caught the night before.

therapy
28-06-2010, 12:26 AM

Got on there just on sunset. 13 boats parked in about a football field size area at Brennans and then the northerly blew to 18 knot's. Couldn't lose a bait. No current, drifted and got 1 pearly and 12 undersize squire and pearlies. Got sick of the wind and went back inside before the tide change. Home by 1 am. So not so good. Heard of a few blokes getting trag but think they were south of us.

Cheers...Terry.....

therapy
28-06-2010, 05:04 AM
Would be interested to know how Outsideskip went?? Did your results vary much over the 2 night's Pete?

Cheers.....Terry....

Lovey80
28-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Im with Pinhead inshore. Full and new moons are the best times. Heaps of baitfish getting busted up by the big guys. Also an ex pro line fisho told me that on the big tide moons he stays in on his close marks and always does better than wide.

Cheers

Chris

BLOOEY
29-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Heaps of tailor on the beach. They didn't mind the partial eclipse either! Ben

rabbi
04-07-2010, 06:00 AM
Hi Guys,
Never had much luck on the full moon. In my opinion the fish seem to go deep and are easily spooked, around the estuaries at least.
Even going outside bottom bashing the fish seem less prolific and eager to take a bait.
I see and hear of a lot of fishos that fish the full moon but it is probly more beneficial to anglers cause thay can see where they are going, and some of them are easily spooked too:)
The full moon seems to attract attention from some of the stranger folk around the Northern rivers of NSW:-? ;D

I have always believed that if you can see a full moon in the sky, be it night or day, the fishing will be quiet, Very exact when I was fishing for cod when I lived out west.

Jew and tides go hand in hand but it is not necessarily the big tides that attract them.

Anyways< Im off to battle with the hoards of Tourists in the Richmond river today. Should be interesting.
Cheers, Steve,.

greenie.77
04-07-2010, 09:03 AM
I once heard that Jew feed a lot on the moon so the smaller fish such as Bream hide??????

Midnight
07-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Want Spaniards? Go the full moon.

Yep, definitely for me too.

And the Wahoo.

Cheers,
Myles

XtremeBoony
07-07-2010, 06:22 PM
the best grunter fishing we have ever done has been on the full moon during winter for offshore at yeppoon. I have never seen any bigger bait schools then we did over the full moon they were massive.....

Dignity
07-07-2010, 06:57 PM
I got a few on the Saturday night although they were timid biters. Generally offshore I think the fish are busy having sex on the full moon, but they sure get hungry after the event.

TheFishRaider
09-07-2010, 09:00 PM
i live down in the hawkesbury river and i have a jetty right next to a big oyster reef. At night on the full moon when the tide is over it and washing all the little crabs and fish off it. Some real big bream wait at the other side and eat them all. So over here it seems to help.
But on the other side the local experts say that to go fishing for jewies you need to go when there is no moon.
So on my point of view it seems to vary on what you are going after.

webby nq
01-08-2010, 03:56 AM
Hey Terry , from the good weather thats landed on and around full moons the fishing has been exceptional out on the shoals and reefs . especially when the moon just edges up from the horizon with good numbers of reds and pinkies but only with certain spots so it seems as some spots are crap during the day then fire at night.