PDA

View Full Version : Opinions/recomendations sought (QLD)

no eye deer
24-06-2010, 01:59 PM
G'day experts,

I am heading to T.I in July, and need a boat.

As you probably know, its pretty windy there.I want to fish just offshore(maybe 3-5 ks). I am not an expert offshore, but have some boating experience in a 4.5mt barra boat from Arnhemland.

So- I am guessing 5mt?

Fibreglass, as my budget stops at $10 k?

Thats about it. Whatja reckon. Any pointers?

thanks fellas,
Mark

Franco
24-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Look at any of second hand Hookers, Galeforce, Haines Drifters (now know as 490 breeze), UB boats they're all very popular up there and very little between them overall apart from strengths in different areas eg fishability vs room vs stability etc.

I have a 490 Breeze, my mates up there have the same as well as a 5m side console Quicksilver (sim to the hookers). Good all-rounders that'll get you home if it blows. For true "offshore" trips you'd have to look at true "offshore boats" though, with proper protection from the elements and freeboard.

Scott nthQld
24-06-2010, 03:34 PM
check out any long boats, hookers, which are a cross between a longboat and 'normal boat'. i'd probably go for something in a centre console with a t-top and big screen. becasue you won't be going all that far offshore, I gather range and economy isn't too big of an issue, so going with a 2 stroke will save you some dollars as well.

It all depends on what you are after in a boat, there's just so many configurations, like cabins, runabouts, tiller etc. maybe if you could ellaborate a bit more as to what you want in a boat (like a cabin etc) you'd get some more specific answers.

the Galeforce are a great boat, but you hardly see any come up for sale 2nd hand, a newy will be well out of your budget

Flex
24-06-2010, 05:05 PM
If your only going 3-5km offshore, you can do it in a tinny. A nice high-sided tinny' between 4.5-5m will be fine. Plus alot of beaches up there aswell to bash around in.

I'd be in favour of a centre console or even tiller, purely for the type of fishing thats on offer up that way. If your going glass that severely limits your options. You dont want a half-cab at far north qld. And not many glass CC's around

I take my 4.5m seajay up north every year. I head out to Howick island(30km offshore) no worried at all. Thats during trade wind season aswell. Its slow but doable.

Jarrah Jack
24-06-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm wondering that it may depend on how long you intend to stay there as to the type of motor for instance. Something easily serviceable by the local mechanic I would imagine. With 10k to spend I would be looking at alloy as something around 5 mtr in glass will not be new so may have some rot issues. That being said something like a Haines doesn't mind the chop you get up there compared to the tinnie. Ask on the FFForum and see what the Darwin boys think, although there a rum lot.:)

no eye deer
24-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks fdellas.

great advise! Especially the advise I agree with:)

I would prefer a tinnie, but its hard to find a big enough one with my limited buget.

But the concensus definetley seems to go with a tinnie. (My young fella disagrees, but he aint payin' for it!!)

OK - so how about a Dory? Too small? Bearing in mind my lack of experience.

4.5 too small? I wont be looking at punts, I like high sides after using my Barra punt in Gove Harbour!!! 4.5 metre hammerhead next to the boat ate my tuna!!

Mark

buck66
24-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks fdellas.

great advise! Especially the advise I agree with:)

I would prefer a tinnie, but its hard to find a big enough one with my limited buget.

But the concensus definetley seems to go with a tinnie. (My young fella disagrees, but he aint payin' for it!!)

OK - so how about a Dory? Too small? Bearing in mind my lack of experience.

4.5 too small? I wont be looking at punts, I like high sides after using my Barra punt in Gove Harbour!!! 4.5 metre hammerhead next to the boat ate my tuna!!

Mark

Been up the straits a few times with work mostly see UB's, Haines drifters(I think there called) or Wahoo's. Couple of 25l drums of fuel and a +70hp tiller steer and you are sweet.....Oh don't forget a good anchor and rope cause the tides really rip up there so if you break down and don't the have the anchor and rope who knows where you'll end up and that's just of the jetty between TI and HORN IS.

GBC
24-06-2010, 08:11 PM
If you get a 14 ft tinny with a 40 h.p. yammy 2 stroke make sure to get a tin of lairy spray paint as well so you can distinguish yours from everyone else's.
They are the vehicle of choice at T.I. along with the odd banana boat as described.

'Offshore' up there is a fair run - there's heaps of shallow water between the islands and a tinny will do, because while it's calm during the buildup you can drive a tinny to Booby for xos spannos, and during winter when its windy a 30 footer is uncomfortable in the FNQ chop;).

Enjoy the place.

no eye deer
24-06-2010, 09:10 PM
If you get a 14 ft tinny with a 40 h.p. yammy 2 stroke make sure to get a tin of lairy spray paint as well so you can distinguish yours from everyone else's.
They are the vehicle of choice at T.I. along with the odd banana boat as described.

'Offshore' up there is a fair run - there's heaps of shallow water between the islands and a tinny will do, because while it's calm during the buildup you can drive a tinny to Booby for xos spannos, and during winter when its windy a 30 footer is uncomfortable in the FNQ chop;).

Enjoy the place.

I hear ya! Dont want to spend time chasing the boat!

I have fished Numbulwar and Gove, as well as off Coburg . A mate of mine , who is a BRILLIANT seaman, used to go from the mainland to Goulburn Island in a 4mt Hornet with a 40 on it. NOT FOR ME!! But shows it can be done.

Me -I'm a little WARY of big seas in a small boat. But have only been out in a Barra Punt (4.5 w/30) in pretty good weather. Just want to be able to fish around T.I.

Maybe a smaller boat, but pick my times better?

Mark