PDA

View Full Version : Pedestal Seat Problems

Jasinex
23-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Hey guys,

Here is a good one for ya..... We have a 5.1 Stessco Runabout with two pedestal seats up the front. They have been factory fitted by cutting through the carpeted floor directly above the seat base aluminum sleeve mounted to the under floor cross braces. now the problem we have is when your sitting there fishing and there is a little bit of chop as the seats move a bit from side to side there is a loud creaking noise coming from the metal leg of the seat and the timber floor where it penetrates (i assume this is it)...

how on earth can u dampen this noise without going to too much trouble?

ideas so far are...

a) Try to grease the timber/leg of chair... downside is i don't want to pull the seat out while on the water and end up with grease everywhere on the carpet.

b) some kind of rubber insert on the timber floor? but i can see this ending with the hole being too small and you cant freely rotate the chairs or get them in or out...

c)????

any ideas guys... its just a little bit annoying when your trying to enjoy an afternoon on the bay (which usually has chop) and all you can hear is creak... creak.... creak.... creak....

hahah

Jason

Waraba Mick
23-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Hi jason, might pay you to pm strongy on this one he also has a stessco with the same seat problems and recently fixed his, no more rocking and stupid noises now.

Mick.

Scott nthQld
23-06-2010, 11:40 AM
it sucks hey??

Same thing happens on my boat and I am yet to find an easy solution. I've tried grease and all that, but at best they've only been temporary, only lasting a couple of hours.

The only way I can see a permanent solution would be to lift the floor, ans file out the timber so the hole is just a little bigger, reseal that new edge and glue some marine carpet over it. you'll need to cut the holle a little bigger as you've mentioned in b, becasue with the carpet (rubber would make it worse I reckon) will tighten around the seat and make it difficult to swivel.

For a temp measure, the best grease i found was 'White lithium grease" I think it was, doesn't stain in case you get it on the carpet and lasted the longest. also available ina spray can. Silicone spray also worked well. Both being in a spray can, it was nothing to pull the seat out, give a quick spray and back in the hole whilst on the water.

Chimo
23-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Hi Jason

I had a similar issue in a previous boat, now sold that I should have kept; but thats another story.

Anyhow its easy to fix, all you need to do is instal / locate one of those over centre locking tie down straps from as high as you can get it under the seat base to a point on the side of the boat ie under the gunnel or similar and tighten the strap and lock it off.

No more movement that is annoyingly noisy / squeaky and just keep wearing the base which in most cases is underdone but great when your sitting on the seat in the shed thinking about fishing.

Hope this helps you, it worked for me for years in all sea conditions

Cheers
Chimo

Jasinex
23-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Hi jason, might pay you to pm strongy on this one he also has a stessco with the same seat problems and recently fixed his, no more rocking and stupid noises now.

Mick.

Thanks Mick... i have done this... just waiting on a reply hahah

Jasinex
23-06-2010, 01:10 PM
it sucks hey??

Same thing happens on my boat and I am yet to find an easy solution. I've tried grease and all that, but at best they've only been temporary, only lasting a couple of hours.

The only way I can see a permanent solution would be to lift the floor, ans file out the timber so the hole is just a little bigger, reseal that new edge and glue some marine carpet over it. you'll need to cut the holle a little bigger as you've mentioned in b, becasue with the carpet (rubber would make it worse I reckon) will tighten around the seat and make it difficult to swivel.

For a temp measure, the best grease i found was 'White lithium grease" I think it was, doesn't stain in case you get it on the carpet and lasted the longest. also available ina spray can. Silicone spray also worked well. Both being in a spray can, it was nothing to pull the seat out, give a quick spray and back in the hole whilst on the water.

this will be a last resort.. i might actually check how big the hole is... maybe a bit of carpet in there would fix the problem hmmmmmmmm... food for thought

Jasinex
23-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Hi Jason

I had a similar issue in a previous boat, now sold that I should have kept; but thats another story.

Anyhow its easy to fix, all you need to do is instal / locate one of those over centre locking tie down straps from as high as you can get it under the seat base to a point on the side of the boat ie under the gunnel or similar and tighten the strap and lock it off.

No more movement that is annoyingly noisy / squeaky and just keep wearing the base which in most cases is underdone but great when your sitting on the seat in the shed thinking about fishing.

Hope this helps you, it worked for me for years in all sea conditions

Cheers
Chimo

im not really shure wat kind of strap you are talkin about.. but in any case i dont think this will work on our boat as the fibreglass 'cabin' area runs down past the seats and drops down past the gunnel... so i cant get a strap up under there due to the glass panel.... it may break it or something... but not a bad idea... the principle will work if we didnt have that panel in the road hahahah

Jasinex
23-06-2010, 01:33 PM
anyone know where i can get a small piece of carpet from... whitworths have it for $45/metre... i doubt they will cut a little piece off for me to wrap around the pole base of both seats where it sits next to the timber..

i figured maybe i could glue a strip onto the pole where it sits up against the timber on both seats... would probably need 2 pieces about 5cm x 20cm

whiteman
23-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Clark Rubber has a heap of options that substitute for carpet. If you have to buy 1/2m of some sort of rubberised product the leftovers are always handy for other things. I lined the rear cargo bay of my Prado with a sheet of heavy duty rubber and the offcuts are now used all over the house and boats.

dogsbody
23-06-2010, 04:19 PM
I got some off cuts if needed. Runcorn area, shoot me a pm if ya want some.

Dave

trymyluck
23-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Mate
I have the same problem, which I've half fixed. I've made up an aluminium seat box but you can get fibreglass ones as well. Heaps of storage and much better then just the pedestal type seats.
Just got to make the drivers side box.

Mark

Jasinex
24-06-2010, 01:23 PM
I got some off cuts if needed. Runcorn area, shoot me a pm if ya want some.

Dave

Can allways count on the Ausfish boys... PM sent

Mate
I have the same problem, which I've half fixed. I've made up an aluminium seat box but you can get fibreglass ones as well. Heaps of storage and much better then just the pedestal type seats.
Just got to make the drivers side box.

Mark

That sounds like a great idea.. and would solve the problem.. plus open up options for more storage... but .... i cant be bothered building them hahahahah

great idea tho

strongy
24-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Jason pm sent ,,, strongy