PDA

View Full Version : boat buying advice

barnaby
22-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Hi all
Me and a mate are talking about going halfs in a new boat, nothing huge maybe 4m -5 m. Want to get out the to those had to reach places for bit of fishing and definity a bit of diving too. The boat he has now is pitterful. Taken a look at some but a trailcract has taken my eye atm. Want to know about peoples experience with them? they anygood????
barney

ThePinkPanther
28-06-2010, 11:23 AM
The reason you haven't had any replies Mate is that you haven't given near enough detail of the boat and your intended area of operation!

Will you be Bay, river, or off shore?

Glass or aluminium?

2 stroke or 4 stroke motor preferable?

Do you have any experience in boats or will this be your "first?"

Provide as much as you can and I am sure some guys in here will help out.

LoungeLizard
28-06-2010, 11:46 AM
I had a trailcraft 5m runabout. It's one of the better mass produced plate ally boats and if you're not going offshore in the rough stuff will be OK. They can be a bit wet at times (not a very sharp vee) but is OK on smaller chop and works very well in creeks/bays. If you're considering heavy offshore work then look at something bigger, I'd say 5.5m+

Overall the TC's are solid, honest boats with very little issues.

Just a word of warning though - previous place I worked two "mates" also bought a boat, all was OK for the first few months then hit some personality issues, one guy didn't want to go out as much, the other one got a girl that wanted to tag along, etc., etc., ended up in a big shit fight and long story short they haven't spoken to each other for many years now.