PDA

View Full Version : Fireline to leader problems

Alex The Angler
21-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Have been having issues recently with the knot between 8lb Fireline and 7lb Nitlon DFC letting go while casting squid jigs, very annoyed as I have lost $60 worth of jigs!>:( This is casting at half the rods full potential. Using a double uni which has never failed me while bream fishing so confused as to why its breaking? :-?

lethal098
21-06-2010, 07:47 PM
double your fireline over when tying, should fix the problem.

nezevic99
21-06-2010, 08:09 PM
i put 5 turns in the mono then 10 turns in the braid. works for me...

Steve B
21-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Is the line breaking or going at the leader knot....if its breaking, well worth , checking your guides for chips or cracks etc...that will f&$k the line quickly, and cause breakage...that may falsely look like a knot slipping.

just something to check.

cheers mate steve

Si
21-06-2010, 10:20 PM
yeah i have just replaced some guides on my rod as the ceramic (alconite) inserts had very hard to see fractures in them and was causing my braid to fray. so it could be this.

how long is your leader? i ask cos a double uni knot is quite large and when you are just abot to cast, the knot is before some or all of your guides it could be getting hung up on a guide. its quite possibly something else but just thought i would bring it up.

Apollo
22-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Had the same problem a while back and found the fireline was a shot. Changed line and problem went away. Asked a rep a bit later and his comment was that if the line was consistently working at it maximum, it's life was dramatically reduced. I was catching barra on 4lb line, so can't argue this wasn't the case.

Steve

Alex The Angler
22-06-2010, 03:34 PM
yeah i have just replaced some guides on my rod as the ceramic (alconite) inserts had very hard to see fractures in them and was causing my braid to fray. so it could be this.

how long is your leader? i ask cos a double uni knot is quite large and when you are just abot to cast, the knot is before some or all of your guides it could be getting hung up on a guide. its quite possibly something else but just thought i would bring it up.

Leader is about 1.5m, using an 8'3" egi(squid) specific rod with the low rider guides which do get quite small. Perhaps I should try a proper PE braid to reduce knot size?

Alex The Angler
22-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Had the same problem a while back and found the fireline was a shot. Changed line and problem went away. Asked a rep a bit later and his comment was that if the line was consistently working at it maximum, it's life was dramatically reduced. I was catch barra on 4lb line, so can't argue this wasn't the case.

Steve
Only used the Fireline on about 3 trips so it should be fine.

Si
22-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Leader is about 1.5m, using an 8'3" egi(squid) specific rod with the low rider guides which do get quite small. Perhaps I should try a proper PE braid to reduce knot size?

yeah, i havent seen a dedicated squid rod before so i dont know exactly how the guides look. hard to tell without seeing or hearing it happen.

look at your braid closely, is it starting to fray a tiny bit then it would be a cracked guide insert and your line is bad. if it's not then, given your double uni knot is b4 some guides prior to casting, then i would have a stab in the dark and say it would be getting caught up on a guide. you could try pe braid with a varivas knot or improved albright. search 'varivas braid to leader' for picture of knot i use.