PDA

View Full Version : Alloy/Stainless Prop 30 Yami

The Animal
21-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Hey Crew
Thinking of changing my standard Alloy prop on my 4.1 Sea Jay to a stainlesss on my 30 Yami 2 stroke.
Any experiances with increased performance???
Stephen

Scott Ashe
21-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Hi Mate

I have a 30 Yam 4 stroke which I bought new a year ago, and I upgraded my alloy prop to stainless last christmas. I don't really notice much performance difference, however it is brilliant for using in the shallows mud crabbing etc, as you don't get no chips or missing paint from rocks etc.

They aren't cheap though at $500 from Solas, but thats cheap compared to my engine at $7000.

Cheers
Scott.

bushbeachboy
21-06-2010, 05:17 PM
If you do a bit of plowing, a stainless prop will last a lot longer. Unless you try to plow rocks.......

Maddac
21-06-2010, 10:09 PM
you will get a minimal performance increase from stainless. This is due to the fact that the stainless does not contort under strain like the alloy.

When I changed from alloy to stainless in the 28' Mustang, i got 400 rpm and 2.5 knots more out of it. Some of this was due to the fact that they were new props.

geoffmck
22-06-2010, 05:07 AM
At that hp you will not notice any difference in performance due to the material. The only change will be due to differences in pitch/diameter.
Are you happy with the performance of the boat speed/acceleration wise?
Do you know if you are getting the proper revs from the motor?
I'd suggest spending the time/money on making sure you have the right size prop and stick to alloy.

Remember that the gearboxes and prop shafts in smaller outboards are not indestructable.

In this hp range, hitting a rock with an alloy prop usually only means a chipped prop.
Hitting a rock with a stainless prop might mean bent shaft/broken gearbox.

Just something else to consider if you do your boating in rocky areas.

Cheers

Smithy
22-06-2010, 06:53 AM
Also compare getting one in from the States. The small Solas propellors were notoriuos for spinning out bushes. I got a Propco for my 25hp Merc from Basspro. I did get it cupped at Solas to pick up some speed as from 3/4 throttle and up it just revved but did nothing. Cupping it got it spot on.

Noelm
22-06-2010, 11:05 AM
as a very general rule of thumb, when you go from alloy to stainless you can go to a slightly bigger size , reason being stainless props can be made much thinner than alloy and this will allow a larger size prop, or a gain in RPM, stainless can also be cupped quite a lot to give much better performance, the gearbox should not suffer any more damage that if an alloy prop is fitted, the rubber bush takes care of that.