PDA

View Full Version : Performance and Upgrading

bowrider540
20-06-2010, 09:24 PM
My 5.4m Bowrider is a great boat however its out of hole acceleration is not the best escpecially for pulling skiers out. Its ok for fishing but overall would like to get a more out of it. Currently I have the standard prop that came with the Yamaha 4 Stroke F115.

What sort of prop should I be looking at? Is this the best option for upgrading?

I have tried foil the SE300 Sports but found it to be more problems then it was worth and realling did not notice any improvement.

Anything else that could help with performance?

Also have standard steering at the moment - Is it really worth the cost to upgrade to Hydraulic steering?

The other upgrade I have been looking at is an electric anchor winch - whats the most affordable and reliable option have been looking at thr Maxwell HRC range and also the Stress Free range I think the Stress Free ones are out of my price range?

Also an electric winch for the trailer any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone had any experience with Storm Rider Life jackets (PFD Australia) vs Stormy Seas Jackets?

Thanks Happy Boating

:)

STUIE63
21-06-2010, 09:29 AM
with regards to the prop is your motor at the right height ( the cav plate is just skimming on the top of the water when on the plane ) . and what are your maximum revs that the motor is getting ?
Stuie

wrxhoon
21-06-2010, 10:01 AM
If you are NOT getting max RPM at WOT in your case I think its 6000 rpm then you need a smaller pitch prop.
From memory these engines come with a 19" pitch S/S and they have 2.15 gearbox. If thats the case I don't think you will be getting anywhere near 6000 at WOT. Depending on what RPM you get at WOT with your normal load , you need to go to a smaller pitch prop. If you use it for skiing you need to be able to get 6000 without skiers .
If you choose a 4 or 5 blade prop you will get out of the hole quicker but because of the extra drag top speed will suffer somewhat.
Props are always a compromise and trial and error , there is no right or wrong prop as long as you get close to max RPM at WOT . There is a more suitable prop for each ones application.
Standard props that come with most engines are a compromise usualy .
If you want a good prop for skiing the Merc trophy 4 blader is a very good prop .
I use it a 24"on my bullet with a 225 Merc and she performs very well . The other thing with the trophy , you can take the plugs out or even drill them , that gives you better out of the hole shot.
They are not cheap but you get what you pay for , I wouldn't buy a Chinese prop..

Argle
21-06-2010, 12:20 PM
On my old Stebercraft 16ft I used to have two props, one for skiing and one for fishing. The ski prop had heaps of low down grunt and enabled the old 150hp blue band (read old) Merc to pull two single skiiers up no problem, top end was down but for skiing it was plenty. The "fishing" prop gave a much better top end and better overall fuel economy. Its worthwhile playing around because the difference a diffrent prop will make can be huge. As for your steering, having just upgraded to a new boat with hydraulic steering from a push pull cable type all I can say is yes yes yes yes yes get the hydraulic!!!

Cheers
Scott