PDA

View Full Version : pumping yabbies

FORE SHORE
20-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Hey there fellow ausfisher's,
just recently bought myself a tinny to get back into the fishing scene,and i know this question has prolly be asked a 1000 times but can someone point me in the right direction to pump some yabbies down the jacobs well area i will be launcing from cabbage tree point thanks in advance :)

Cheers
Mark

DAN-SK
20-06-2010, 08:18 AM
there is a bank across from the ramp near the yellow chanell marker is a good start. hope it helps

bennykenny
20-06-2010, 08:21 AM
if you look on any of those banks between there and the pin they are not hard to find, just look for the holes usually they are riddled with them

HeadBanger
20-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Dunno about the area, but just make sure your pump works. I was stuck using a pump with no bloody suction for about 4 months and wondering why I could never pump any yabbies. It's not fun. Luckily Alvey replaced it free of charge.

Cheers,
Kaidon

Benben86
20-06-2010, 10:16 AM
That's my thongs all have bog bloody holes on them. Get on the flats and the pump won't work. I take a spare washer in my pocket now. 5 bucks at kmart

onerabbit
20-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Hope you're young and have a strong back`
I cant pump for more than half an hour now without suffering,
just ask the missus......

Muzz

Cheech
21-06-2010, 09:11 AM
A bit north of the ramp as you head towards the powerlines, there is a bank that you have to go around in a big c shape arc. That bank use to have yabbies on it. The others I use to use are closer to the pin. one at the pin end of coby passage, and the other good one is just around the corner of the west end if Tiger Mullet Channel.

Dignity
22-06-2010, 07:35 PM
That's my thongs all have bog bloody holes on them. Get on the flats and the pump won't work. I take a spare washer in my pocket now. 5 bucks at kmart

benben86, thongs for your feet or g string type??

There was a bloke at work who recently took up fishing and bought a yabby pump and complained bitterly that it was extremely hard work, found he was putting his finger over the hole where the handle comes out as he wasn't getting any suction. He never thought to tighten the wing nut, guess that's what happens when you buy from supermarkets and you're a newbie to the game. He now finds it enjoyable exercise, poor bloke.

foreshore, ignore sandbanks where it is obvious no one has pumped previously, you will get to recognise these as yabbie deserts and bloody har yakka for no result

Benben86
22-06-2010, 09:14 PM
I don't think a g banger would make a very good washer for a pump. Hell of a laugh to see someone try it though. When you get the hang of it (yabby pumping) it's good fun. Kids love it too. I take my 3 year old and she just chases yabbys and crabs for hours. Runout tide is best for me in my spot too.

ThePinkPanther
23-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Vicky Point is the place Mate!
Squillions of the big yellow brutes if you know where to go.
Can easily get a hundred in an hour of fairly easing pumping or until funny cracking noises come from yer back!

PinHead
23-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Dunno about the area, but just make sure your pump works. I was stuck using a pump with no bloody suction for about 4 months and wondering why I could never pump any yabbies. It's not fun. Luckily Alvey replaced it free of charge.

Cheers,
Kaidon

a young bloke like yourself needs a real yabby pump..just not sure if they sell them anymore. called a "backbreaker"..6" diamter of stainless with a handle on each side..2 holes on the top..shove the tube into the sane..shove your fingers over the 2 holes on top and then pull it all out..lots of yabbies..but sure is hell on the back..no moving parts in the pump so nothing to fail except your back.
I wish I still had the one I had many moons ago.

Dignity
23-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Pinhead, used to use one in hervey bay - definately a back breaker but pulled more yabbies in a single pull than 6 pulls of the pump type. Was told a number of years ago they were no longer legal but the guy who told me was usually told me lots of tales

PinHead
23-06-2010, 07:17 PM
I wish I had one now Dignity

Benben86
23-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Victoria point is real good ay. Most of the banks have yabbies but some are better than others. Just trial and error to find the good spots. Then don't tell people where they are because it won't be a good spot for long if you do.

HeadBanger
24-06-2010, 01:13 PM
a young bloke like yourself needs a real yabby pump..just not sure if they sell them anymore. called a "backbreaker"..6" diamter of stainless with a handle on each side..2 holes on the top..shove the tube into the sane..shove your fingers over the 2 holes on top and then pull it all out..lots of yabbies..but sure is hell on the back..no moving parts in the pump so nothing to fail except your back.
I wish I still had the one I had many moons ago.

Seems like a helluva lot of work just for a bit of bait. But then again, I'll put the same amount of work into pumping them normally, or cast netting for livies, so it might be worth finding one of these.

Cheers,
Kaidon

SeaHunt
24-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Hey there fellow ausfisher's,
just recently bought myself a tinny to get back into the fishing scene,and i know this question has prolly be asked a 1000 times but can someone point me in the right direction to pump some yabbies down the jacobs well area i will be launcing from cabbage tree point thanks in advance :)

Cheers
Mark
There are some yabby holes in the sand right beside the ramp at cabbage tree point if you have a look.

Dignity
24-06-2010, 06:22 PM
I wish I had one now Dignity

I can check with my local welder, I am sure he can whip something up, after all it was only a 6 inch tube with a handle each side and 2 thumb holes on top. I'm sweating just thinking of the damn thing.

Benben86
24-06-2010, 08:10 PM
If you can get one dignity let me know cause I want one. I'd rather have a smashed back from 20 minutes work then have a smashed back from 2 hours work. And no more friggin washers or holes in my thongs. (the ones for your feet)

Dignity
29-06-2010, 06:46 PM
benben I will be seeing him in about a fortnights time as I am away and will enquire - 20 mins with this little beauty and you will have a sore back, arms and wrists. Will let you know how I go

Gazza
01-07-2010, 04:46 PM
There are some yabby holes in the sand right beside the ramp at cabbage tree point if you have a look.Hi Seahunt....
Little sign there as well ...."NO pumping yabbies allowed" or similar :stop:

dnej
01-07-2010, 05:45 PM
dont you just hate it when you loose the wing nut though.

Dignity
06-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Benben86
I have not been to see my welder yet as luck would have it I am stuck in Brisbane with of all things a bad back. I am not sure when it will be before I can get back to the coast let alone go fishing. Will try though once I can get home. Cheers.