PDA

View Full Version : Is My Boat Jinxed Or What!!!!!!!!

muddypete
19-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Greetings all
Thought this might give you a bit of a laugh
Bought a 4 metre Quintrex about 5 weeks ago with a 73 evinrude 25 sportster outboard
Had a service done all good 135 comp on all cylinders yeehaa
Had her up tinny creek about 7-8 times to make sure all okay.
Went out 1 friday of wello point put the pots out and set the rods beautiful day "lifes great" Whats all the water coming in over the false floor!!!
Started the bilge pump I had put in and ripped up the false floor and stated bailing Managed to get the pots and get to shore Turned out a large hunk of bog had fallen off the bow under the waterline. (complements of the previous owner)
Got it welded by a guy in cleveland (laurie) brilliant work and a real nice guy (if you need any work done I can give you his contact number)
Al repaired out again the next friday same story set the pots and out go the rods start the motor to check the pots hullo the starter rope comes out each time but all I get is a cluncking noise used the electric motor to get back in ( for all you old evinrude owners there is a plastic "pawl" in the top of the starter that flicks out to engage the motor over time it wears and will not engage probably worth a regular check
Following friday THIRD TIME LUCKY
Got out off wello again go check the pots motor starts but won't select gear good old electric motor again (another hour at walking pace) The shear pin had gone on the prop and although I had spares from the previous owner they were too small
So if you are out there next week and see a white tinny with and ausfish sticker on the side going near backwards that will probably be me
wouldn't mind a bit of a tow

Steeler
19-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Hi MP

Did not know whether to lough or cry at your yarn,look on the positive side buddy you now know more about your motor and on each occasion you made it back,most important.

Here's to better luck buddy.

Steeler

Jarrah Jack
20-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Ahh Muddy the joys of boating...I've got a 79 Quinny 4.2 and they are well built. Might pay to check if there are any more suspisious areas of the hull that were bogged up. Was the first hole caused by a split or something else? Dunno too much about the 73 sportster but it sure sounds fast.

Just don't go too far off shore and you'll be right with the leccy.:)

Pridey
20-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Mate, thats terrible !

I've got a 4.2 savage with a 25 yam on the back.

I've had runs (similar but not as bad as you) in the past.

I want to upgrade the outboard on mine but it is by far the most reliable outboard I've ever had. Pretty much going to forgo more HP for that confidence.

muddypete
20-06-2010, 09:42 PM
The whole package was part of a deceased estate (so I'm told)
and I guess the motor hadn't been run for a while
Only cost $1250 for the boat motor and trailer so a not complaining
Once I get all the glitches sorted should be fine the boat planes fine and is reasonably quick (just have to keep it going for longer than 15 mins.
Bought the electric on ebay 40lb thrust Iforce for $179
Has paid for itself big time would have preffered a min kota but pockets arn't that deep
Anyway out on tuesday hopefully for a bit longer

STUIE63
21-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Muddypete
they say things come in three's so I reckon the next trip will be sweet with a bagout on crabs

Stuie

Aunty Jack
21-06-2010, 04:33 PM
I feel for you mate been there before.
I tried every thing on this old girl [Nautiglass 75hp evenruide],
But every time I went out a new problem would pop up.
In the end I sold it of. I ran into him[the new owener] about 4 1/2 years latter at the boat ramp and told me it never given him an ounce of trouble.
Go figure.
Maybe I should of stuck with it? Or not??
Any way good luck with that.