PDA

View Full Version : HP ratings.

Pridey
19-06-2010, 06:16 PM
G'day guys.

A mate of mine has a 4.2 m Savage (forward controls, windscreen etc.)

I also have a 4.2 m Savage, however mines an open boat.

His hull is rated to 35hp (IMHO very underpowered)

Mine is 40HP (probably a little much considering the power I get out of my 25hp 2st yammy)

I find this odd.

Anyway, how do we get his hull/transom re-rated (even if we need to get it modified. ) Looking at the boat you'd be left wondering why its not 50-60hp.
Is it an engineer certificate thing, or a boat builder thing ?? anyone done it before.

We're up in Townsville. (Just in case its different from state to state.

Cheers in advance

finga
19-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Tons of threads been done on this topic.
I did a simple search with re rating a search item and came up with heaps of threads.
Just look through them to find the information you need.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/search.php?searchid=1568508

Pridey
19-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I did that mate.

Im pretty much only getting (get another plate from the manufacturer.)

Thats fine, but if you wanted to strengthen the transom etc... would it then be a call the the manufacturer still or some sort of marine engineer etc.

seahound
19-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Other than the manufacturer route - an Authorised Marine Surveyor will sort this for you...either yay or nay and/or detail suitable mods.

Will cost some $$ though. Surprised? Its is a boat after all.

I dont know of anyone at T/ville but go ask the Marine Safety QLD (MSQ) branch or the QB&FP for the details of a reputable Surveyor.

The Marine Surveyor will be able to provide you with appropriate docs for the works - if done - to satisfy insurance, regulators etc.

This sort of work/process is usually cost prohibitive and generally more used for larger commercial vessels...cheaper to get another tub especially in this size range

Good luck....

Pridey
19-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks Seahound.

peterbo3
20-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Some years ago I had an alloy boat modified by adding a full width pod. AMM did the work & certified that the hull was capable of carrying a 115 HP 4 stroke. The original motor was a 75 Mariner & I put a 90 4 stroke in it's place.
I had to fill out a "Vessel Modification" form with Qld transport & provide the certification from AMM. That was it, apart from providing the certification to my insurance company.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/peterbo3/DSC00442Small.jpg