PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Towing/Driving Report

Hi all

Just returned from Fraser and thought I would post a report on conditions for those crews about to tow boats to Waddy (think Lucky Phil and crews about to go)

All good news - can get around Hook even 3 hours before/after the low tide, heaps of sand and no trees sticking out from the sand. One small creek to cross.

Hook to Indian - heaps of very flat beach and the recent south easter and rain up there has flattened out the beach for a very easy run. Recent rain has made most creeks run, but all easy if approached close to the surf. Didn't have to go around the back of any rocks even well before or after the low tide.

Indian crossing - flat and very easy

Middle Rocks - just a little soft/churned up before the wood slats with a bit of a jump up - down track side probably easier to go up if towing

Champagne Pools - Orchid - best I have ever seen this track, most of the old soft spots have rubber matting under them now. South Orchid track still unslatted - ok going down, but may need to use north track if towing back to a house.

Waddy - lots of long 'inland' lagoons formed making it hard to get to camps and bins etc - plenty of beach though.

Launching - couple of good gutters for launch retrieve, but a little tough right on low tide as the gutters were flat - plan launch and retrieve when there is a bit more water in gutters than dead low.

Ngkala - can get over south Ngkala very easily and safely now - would be tough run if the sand was powdery though. Didn't go any further north, but apparently you can cross the rocks at north Ngkala and get to the Cape

Well it rained and blew it backside off for the past 7 days up there except for yesterday morning coming home - few boats heading up yesterday doing it very easily

Have a good one and hope the weather settles for you

Cheers

A

CT
19-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Well it rained and blew it backside off for the past 7 days up there except for yesterday morning coming home

Nice report. Hope it doesn't mean that you lucked out all week and never even got the boat off the trailer!

Cheers
Craig

Hi Craig

Yep, didn't even take the road strap off it or bother rigging a line. Some guys got out Sunday, but they got pretty wet.

oh well - even it bad weather it is still awesome up there.

BTW to anyone towing - watch out for the backpacker Troopies as they have no idea and I have never seen so many of them up there. Also new 30km/h speed limits past Eurong and a few of the other popular tourist spots and a maximum speed limit of 80 km/h on the beach elsewhere - I am sure the Police will be out during the coming school holidays

Cheers

A