PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a heap of weed.

URAGANGI
18-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Since it's getting a little cooler I'd like to have a bash at some Nigger's. I know the black bream are around cause I snared some in the cast net. Not large but at least it tells me that the biger models might be around as well?

I'm central on the gold coast and more than willing to travel to get some. Weed that is. Geez that sounded even worse! You know I mean. I need a heap cause I cut alot of it up, and mix it with sand to use as a berley.

Redcliff used to have the best stuff I've ever seen. The long strong silky stuff is best, not the long slimy variety.

cheer's Gav.

bondy99
18-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Yeah, know what you mean, problem is most of it is locked up in Marine Parks or Protected Areas unless you can find an old creek bed or freshwater creek nearby that has not been reclaimed to build more houses on or similar.

Cheers, Peter

URAGANGI
18-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Peter
Yeah most of the good old hidy holes have houses on them now. At Helensvale past the train station used to be a good pozzy, but that long slimy stuff has taken over. Ballina bait shop is on, A now you see it now you don't thing. As soon as they have stock it soon becomes What stock.

Cheers Gav.

Benben86
18-06-2010, 09:23 PM
i hear nimbim is chockas with the stuff :o

URAGANGI
18-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Bnben86

Cheech and Chong / why didn't I think of that cheer's benny.
this suff I want benny is a bugger to light... even if there isn't any wind.

Cheer's Gav.

Benben86
18-06-2010, 09:35 PM
victoria point at low tide could be alright heaps of luderick and heaps of weed. you would have to get wet though.

URAGANGI
18-06-2010, 09:44 PM
benben 86
Nice one! could you give a positive location for a quick pick up. Or should I say fill a couple of buckets. Getting wet well that's even better.

Cheer's Gav.

Benben86
18-06-2010, 09:50 PM
i have seen alot at the jetty where the boat goes to coochie mudlo island. not to sure if its the stuff your after but surely someone would know on this site. i have seen people catch 10-15 luderick in one throw with a cast net. im not sure what sought of weed it is because i have never targeted luderick.

Eelman
19-06-2010, 06:42 AM
I think the Nimbin stuff might make the fish a lot more paranoid and not likely to take bait!

Cheech
19-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Bnben86

Cheech and Chong / why didn't I think of that cheer's benny.
this suff I want benny is a bugger to light... even if there isn't any wind.

Cheer's Gav.

No not telling where we get our weed!!

Benben86
19-06-2010, 10:14 AM
I think the Nimbin stuff might make the fish a lot more paranoid and not likely to take bait!

Or if they get the munchies, it could be the day of fishing ever!

URAGANGI
19-06-2010, 09:50 PM
OK ...Ok... somehow Id' knew this thread would get side tracked. But Up in Smoke was one of the best movies.

Right oh back to bis.. I was thinkin that maybe the prawn farm at jacobs well might be a lead.

Cheech are you sure your not going to give up your location Or your just twisting both ends of my Scoobie.

onerabbit
20-06-2010, 05:45 PM
TLS....

try using very small yabbies on the normal blackfish gear to catch the bigguns......
hint, hint.......

Muzz

onerabbit
20-06-2010, 05:47 PM
That other stuff will only make you lazy....

Muzz

tunaticer
20-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Check the waterline at any public floating pontoons, they usually have a supply of some form of weed and two pontoons side by side often have different weeds.

URAGANGI
20-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Jack

Thanks ,the pontoons would carry some form of weed, I'll take my trusty old rusty rake and start harvesting. Nice one!!

Muzz

Spot on the bigger sluger's can be caught on floating Nippers. The only drawback is that the bigger Niger's are sometimes what I call RUBBERY"S. as soon as their flesh hit's the heat they curl up into a rubbery ball. It must be something that they feed upon. And that something tuffen's the flesh. Now there's another question I'll leave that to FNQ CAINS he might have the key for that one.

Tight line folk's
Gav.

gr hilly
20-06-2010, 09:53 PM
if you smoke it all the fish will taste great.
hilly

URAGANGI
21-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Gr Hilly

Yep they would taste good anything you chew on tastes GOOD...... But hey that was a LOOOOONGGGG TIME AGO MANN.!
Now all I want to gear up for is the magic long strong green stuff I can wrap around my hook.

Cheers Gav.

P.S Hilly are you sure that's not Cypres Hill?

sleepygreg
21-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Havent tried it since i been up here...but on the rock walls down south (Hastings R, Manning R, Camden Haven R, SWR) a live yabby kelly poled on a twelve foot rod at dusk an hour either side of a tide change usually accounted for the best niggers of the session.....and thats after fishing the traditional way until i lost enough light not to be able to see the float. (the 'rest' period before the jewie gear came out). And dont try to tie in nigger fishing with jewie fishing....luderick DO NOT make good jewie bait .....especially the whole live just legal ones....and dont even think of trying to use a nigger fillet as a slab bait...your wasting your time. Its also useless to use nigger gut as bream bait as well.....especially in winter.

The cheques in the mail, I will still respect you in the morning, and I wont come in your...........wellll...you get the drift.

Still a few places around the peninsula that you can get some decent weed....needs a bit of stealth though.

Greg

URAGANGI
21-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Nice to hear from you again Greg, You've still got it Ya silly Bugger!!

Dignity
22-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Jack

Spot on the bigger sluger's can be caught on floating Nippers. The only drawback is that the bigger Niger's are sometimes what I call RUBBERY"S. as soon as their flesh hit's the heat they curl up into a rubbery ball. It must be something that they feed upon. And that something tuffen's the flesh. Now there's another question I'll leave that to FNQ CAINS he might have the key for that one.

Tight line folk's
Gav.

I think you are supposed to cook them not smoke them. My mother in law used to poach them, at least I think that is what she did as there always seemed to be about 7-8 mm of water in the frypan. I haven't caught any for a while so might get going again, any one heard if they are getting them around the boardwark caloundra.

ThePinkPanther
24-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Go to the rock walls off Palm Beach around 22nd. Avenue and you will get all the cabbage weed you need!!

Benben86
24-06-2010, 10:58 AM
I think you are supposed to cook them not smoke them. My mother in law used to poach them, at least I think that is what she did as there always seemed to be about 7-8 mm of water in the frypan. I haven't caught any for a while so might get going again, any one heard if they are getting them around the boardwark caloundra.

I don't think they were talking about smoking the fish. They were talking about smoking the weed

4x4frog
24-06-2010, 11:10 AM
I have a friend who used to get horse ones from the rocks at Kawana a few years back.
I always found they are a spooky fish and jetties/boardwalks didn't produce as well as sound structure like rocks. Late at night when there is no pedestrian traffic wasn't so bad but always better where less people trod.

SeaHunt
24-06-2010, 11:23 AM
I need a heap cause I cut alot of it up, and mix it with sand to use as a berley.

cheer's Gav.

You dont need a heap for burley.
Just get a fist full chop it up in a blender with sea water, put it in a bucket with about 2 or 3 litres of water in the bottom and throw a loaf or two of white bread in and let it sit overnight with the lid on..
It will really stink like a cross between stale piss and a swamp the next day, mix the sand in that and your good to go. ;)

dreemon
24-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Let me get this right. . . your chasing Weed so you can target Niggers?

Niggers, what are niggers? do all niggers like weed? what colour are niggers?
can someone fill me in please?

SeaHunt
24-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Let me get this right. . . your chasing Weed so you can target Niggers?

Niggers, what are niggers? do all niggers like weed? what colour are niggers?
can someone fill me in please?

Niggers are black in case it is not obvious, and yes they like weed.

Luderick or Blackfish therefore you get Niggers.
Probably not overly PC for todays fishermen.

SeaHunt
24-06-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm central on the gold coast.
cheer's Gav.

I know a couple of spots for Luderick must be almost walking distance for you then Gav..

Jarrah Jack
25-06-2010, 09:47 AM
You don't have to get wet getting the weed you can use one of those tube bisso's and suck it up I'm told. My mates get lots of whiting with them but don't tell me anything else.

Si
25-06-2010, 10:21 AM
try fishing for them around the sewage outfall at luggage point with no lead and small hook. I have caught some massive ones on the algae collected off surrounding rocks and structure. i definitely wouldnt eat them though!!! faecal coliform overload not to mention heavy metals and dioxins. yuck.

timddo
25-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Burleigh rocks - plenty of cabbage weed.

SeaHunt
25-06-2010, 04:23 PM
I got a bucket of weed at lunch time and I am coming down there tomorrow Gav to catch all your Niggers.

URAGANGI
26-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Seahunt
Whishing I was heading in your direction! But a sudden Knee OP has laid me up.
so the Niggers have at least 6 to 8 weeks of peace.
Good to see that you're on the hunt for a feed, have a good time and do well .
thanks also for the location that you've provided. Nice one.

Cheer's Gav.

URAGANGI
26-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Seriola Islandi
Thanks for the Info on that. Fishing around luggage point will always be just that, fishing in or around someone else's luggage. I strongly agree YUCK. If you get get snagged on a snag, chances are it might be a soft snag......Nuff said

Cheers Gav.

URAGANGI
26-06-2010, 12:14 PM
For all of these exact location's thank's fellars, that's a big help for the future

Cheers Gav.

Rainbowrunner
30-06-2010, 08:11 AM
I have a couple of small ponds (see webpage) with rainbowfish and the fluffy sort of weed actually becomes a problem. Grows really well.