PDA

View Full Version : buying new boat info

Pete82
18-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Hey new member and am in the market for a new boat and am interested in the barcrusher 560c.. would like some feedback on boat usability, fishability and performance with usual trips in the bay planned as well as some outside off moreton..It looks to be one of the safest boats in that size... Is that true

hooknpull
18-06-2010, 07:47 PM
i dont have one but a friend of mine does. He has the centre console, the boat will get you anywhere and is very strong and is fully made for fishing. Only downfall with the centre console is your always in the weather..

wetryin
19-06-2010, 08:41 PM
I dont have a 560 C but have a 530C. Had it now 2 years and very happy. Im down in the Tweed and I think now there are 5 or or maybe more BCs down here. I mainly use it offshore, and weather is always the deciding factor whether to go wide or stay on the reefs. Safest in its class? This I dont know but I had a pressed boat before and I couldnt wait to get rid of it, as it used to bang and I didnt feel at all safe).
The bc does all that is expected of it and to answer your question of being the safest; I dont really go out and test it purposly in really bad weather but early in the year I had the unfortunate incident of hitting 2 huge broken waves ) I think the first 3m+ and the second 4m+ and really I would have thought that I would have come to grief (especially after the second wave) but the boat simply went over the top of it and landed as it should have. The only feeling that I didnt like was when I had gone over the wave, being litterally airborne, and there was no water under the boat. But it landed much much better than anyone would expect. I would have thought when the second wave hit with the wall of broken water in front of it that it would have at least slammed into the front of the boat (you hear about so many boats losing their windscreens with a wave) but the hull cut through the wave and the boat went up and over it. I didnt have the hardtop pulled down and only a little bit of water came thru. Any other boat and I really dont know what would have happened.
In relation to the 560, a friend has one and have been out offshore in it before. Probably a fraction better riding than mine as it is a little longer with a bigger beam, but I need the 530 due to the narrower beam where I store it.
Good points
foldable hartop- pulls down in bad weather to keep out the spray and great to have a rocket launcher as standard
great solid boat
light to tow and handle (half the time I go alone)
drive on/ off trailer (can only do it with 2 as it slides off too easily with one)
If by yourself the 3 speed winch with the rollers and self levelling trailer is a cinch to get the boat back on the trailer, and even easier getting it off.
Never a drop in the sub floor
checkerplate easily cleaned (no smell). I house the boat under the main roof at home and there is no smell. Even if not housing it undercover there is no chance of sinkers or bait getting into under the floor or hooks to be cut out of the carpet (I think a real problem with non-plate floors).
built in live bait tank and berley bucket
bait board is well setup (the only thing I have done is put a bracket on for knives/ pliers on front of it)
Twin batteries as standard and I have just installed an electric reel (to go wide) and ample of space to slot in a 3rd independant battery and box
Loads of points in favour of the boat- too many to list.
Past posts say that the hardtop is a little low. I am just under 6'4" and I have no problem standing under it.
I feel they are a great boat and the best for the money. A formosa would have been up there with getting my money but the checkerplate floor and the hardtop made the decision for me. :)

Bad points- (there's only 2)
little wet in rough seas but just need to pull down the hard top (takes all of 3 seconds) and put on the side clears (takes 5 mins or so offshore ; 2 minutes on dry land)- you will stay dry with not one leak coming thru- unlike what you commonly experience with canvas tops and clears.
I found the cabin a little difficult to reach the anchor (no walk thru hatch) but I fixed this by installing a stressfee anchor. No additional brackets needed as all BCs have mounting bolts for this.

Bar Crusher has my thumbs up

johndeere
19-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Budget for trim tabs as they tend to be quite tender. I kept banging my right shoulder on the side of the cockpit. The top of the screen seemed to be right at eye level. You would need to ride in one to see if this are issues.

dnej
19-06-2010, 11:02 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=162208
This is the one made in NZ. Works out a better price I am told
David

johndeere
19-06-2010, 11:13 PM
If you are comparing a barcrusher with a surtees make sure you check the boat lengths are similar.;)

Pete82
23-06-2010, 03:37 PM
What put you off the formosa.? The price does seem OK it has plenty of room to fish.. I heard safety and stability at rest where an issue..
Do you know of anybody who has been in the 6m cuddy cab.?
Had a look not a ride ,did tick some boxes then i started lookin at everthing else and opened up a whole new box.......

Moonlighter
23-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Go the Surtees! The original and best!

I've got a Surtees 550 Workmate and as far as I can tell hull length is the same as BC 530. Have a look at a Surtees 610 if you want the next size up, and dont believe anyone who suggests that the Surtees are a "more basic" model - easy to option them up to meet or exceed any BC package and still be fair bit less expensive.

Surtees raised the roof height 100mm for me (6 ft 6 tall) but BC wouldn't.

Cheers

ML