PDA

View Full Version : ??REVS checks for boats??

ShaneC
17-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Hi all,

Asking a question for a mate who is picking up a second hand boat over the weekend. He just rang me and asked if there is any way of checking if the vessel is encumbered, like you can with a car.

I personally have absolutely no idea, was hoping someone on here might.

Cheers.

cgibbo308
17-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Yes

https://online.revs.nsw.gov.au/revs/btPublicEnq.htm

ShaneC
17-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Cheers man,

Not sure if that will work in Queensland, but I will let him know....

Fishbait
17-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Shane
Here is the Queensland Website.
http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/search-revs.htm
To do a REVS check, they will need the:

engine number (except for trailers or caravans)
hull identification number (HIN) for the boat
registration number (if registered).
Then phone REVS on 13 13 04 to conduct REVS searchCheers,
Darren

ShaneC
17-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Good man!!

Thanks Dazz.

cgibbo308
17-06-2010, 09:22 PM
forgot the qld bit lol

White Pointer
17-06-2010, 09:43 PM
G'day,

QLD Office of Fair Trading have a desk on the ground floor of the Magistrates Court in George Street Brisbane.

If you have left it late to start the search attend in person be prepared to wait for 5 to 6 hours to have the searches done.

Do not part with money or accept delivery until you have a clear title search.

You will have to do two searches (1) on the boat make and HIN and the engine (engine make and engine number) and (2) on the trailer make and VIN.

Make sure you get both certificates.

To lodge the forms you will need boat make and HIN, engine make and engine number and trailer make and VIN.

You also need to inspect the boat, the engine and the trailer to make sure the numbers on them are the same as the numbers on the rego papers. This is really important to ensure that you are not buying a stolen and remanufactured fraud.

PM me if you need more help.

Regards,

White Pointer

tenzing
17-06-2010, 10:02 PM
I might be a bit of a worrier but I bought a boat from a guy who lived near the tweed . I did the REVS check for Qld and all was fine
When I checked for encumberences in NSW up came a response.
It all turned out Ok as there was no outstanding monies but the finance company still had their interest registered ( or something like that)

My point is that you cant be too careful and while you can never check every last detail it does seem like a very small investment in the end.

I was also advised to get the REVS certificate as late as possible to reduce the unlikely possibility of last minute refinance,( I am a paranoid Bastard but I know what I had to do for that money.)

Cheers
Brendan

cormorant
17-06-2010, 11:28 PM
The only boat I nearly bought that was suspect I balked at as the rego papers and the blokes photo drivers lic didn't line up. Make sure the address and the papers all line up , are originals and check the sellers photo drivers lic.

In my case the police were informed and attended and the bloke had some explaining to do. Was his brothers ( who had died) boat, still had finance and they were trying to expediate the estate stuff. If the bloke had just come clean I would have waited for the correct process and paperwork but had been told too much bull to continue with the deal.

REVS for boat and trailer is a 100% necessity as is checking physical number on hulls , trailer and motor. Only worth while if you actually get the printed certificates as well.

Get a full receipt which says the boat is unencumbered and showing boat , trailer and motor numbers and their drivers lic number.

Don't hand over cash till you have it all.

I usually have the wife quietly take a photio of the yard , boat and the cars in it and the seller. It helped me prove who the seller was when I was younger and not as wise. Bloody RTA had wrong details

Print off a copy of add off internet or paper as someone always pays for these and usually use a credit card and internet address that police could trace if required if there was a issue. Very hard to pay for advertising with cash these days.