PDA

View Full Version : adding a pod

gr hilly
17-06-2010, 08:25 PM
g,day Ausfisher's i have owned 5 or 6 boats now in my time on the water' but never one with a pod' or is it a (podd) on the back what i would like to know is why are they added to a boat because i would not have a clue any advice welcome.

cheers Hilly

Pridey
17-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Are you talking about the pod that holds your outboard back off the transom ?

oldboot
17-06-2010, 10:31 PM
In theory it keeps the prop in the water longer and deeper, and is suposed to push the boat straighter and higher on the plane.

BUT

it also moves the weight of the outboard further outside of the hull this tends to balance the boat further back.....is this a good or bad thing...hmmmm

the big thing it does is keeps the motor completely outside the hull and allows an unbroken full height transom and gives more deck room.

if the boat is designed with a pod from the get go....the hull continues under the pod....I recon they are a great thing.

as for afterthaught pods......factory or otherwise...i'm of two minds.

my 16 fotter has a factroy after thaught pod.......Hhmme I supos I'd rather have it than not.... but i'd rather it had flat hull all the way under it.

cheers

gr hilly
18-06-2010, 11:29 AM
thanks oldboot no this one was ordered when the hull was built i was led to believe that it was done so the boat could be powered by a larger motor than the original specs on that hull size but i think i understand a little more now thank you for your reply.

cheers Hilly

FNQCairns
18-06-2010, 01:01 PM
setback pods need good HP and the oportunity to travel at high speed for long distances so flat water to make them worthwhile so they are not typically a good choice for a fishing boat.

Hull extension pods are just grouse and if done even half well add much to the boat from a better ride because they change the length to width ratio to more space and an engine 'back there' is always better than one up here:).

gr hilly
18-06-2010, 03:07 PM
thanks FNQ i get the drift mate im learning and your making good sence i can now understand why this has been done on this boat.

cheers Hilly

Pridey
18-06-2010, 05:57 PM
More room in the boat to play with too. You dont have an outboard taking up that foot or two in the centre of the transom. They also often have boards to make it easier to get into the boat from out of the water.

I love them. Not sure I'd go as far as to add one to a boat that didnt have it already though.

Ripples
18-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi All
I can add a little to the pod debate. While converting a 213 C Haines Hunter from an inboard outboard leg to a pod for the purpose of fitting a 4 stroke outboard I was advised to have a full length rather than a half pod
I had a pod made and fitted professionally to extend the water length of the hull also adding extra floatation including a ladder to access and also helping keep the engine noise down behind the transom.
The extra 650 mm length to the hull waterline helped with the ride and also enabled the fitting of a set of QL trim tabs flush mounted to the back of the transom.
The boat handles a treat in the rough and gives you more room in the rear of the boat for the fitting of extra battery,live bait tank ,pumps ect.
Ripples

tonks
19-06-2010, 10:41 AM
hey ripples would love to see some photos of your pod as a mate is having dramas with a pod set up on an old sa built nereus at the moment

dnej
19-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Hilly,
I originally had a pod built on either side of the motor.Was a great addition, and improved ever aspect of the boat. Then I had the bottom replaced, the well removed, and the pods made onto a full width, raised to take a 25inch leg.

Fantastic result. more room, great stability, better bouyancy, ease of loading, access to motor on the water. Great place to take a leak also.
See if I can add some pics for you. They wont be in any order.
David

Pridey
19-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Wow, that looks great Dnej.

Did you do it yourself or get it manufactured ?

dnej
19-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Pridey, I only wish I had that expertise. Even my steel welding takes a fair bit of grinding.
( LOL)
David

gr hilly
19-06-2010, 06:03 PM
i notice no pics of you taking a leak hahaha

dnej
19-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Nah Hilly. Those cold mornings are murder.
David

Chimo
19-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Hi Dnej

I know what you mean about those cold mornings...... my pods are so good I can stand on either one; if no booze involved, or both and it sure gets you away from everything while your jobbing;D

Cheers
Chimo

gr hilly
20-06-2010, 09:30 AM
dnej what a top class job , you done well there mate.

cheers Hilly

Ripples
26-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Hi Tonks
Please pm your email and I can take some photos during the week and send them on. Ripples

Jarrah Jack
26-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Unreal there dnej, with the higher sides as well you,ve turned it into a totally different boat. Those old stessl's were built well.

dreemon
27-06-2010, 09:20 AM
dnej ; in your 1st pic with the good ole Mariner ( love those motors) how did it change the behavior of the ride with outside pods compared to without the pods?

I 'd like to have them for a few reasons like getting line off the prop, boarding, floating the rear better to make it a bit more stable and of coarse havin a leak, did a following swell affect it? or any other bad habits? I can't go full pod because the boat "just" fits in it's parking area, Thanks

wayno60
27-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Please use the picture below to follow along with this description.

Ultimately we want to figure out the distance labeled h. This value is the distance from the point of the keel to the top of the bracket deck as measured directly on the surface of the transom. Figuring this distance is complicated by the height adjustment for the motor required by the offset from the transom by the bracket and the transom angle.

The rule of thumb I used to get the ball rolling is: “The cavitation plate on the motor lower unit needs to be 1” higher than the keel for every foot of bracket set-back.” Keep in mind that this is a rule of thumb, different hull shapes may need slightly more or less adjustment of the cavitation plate location. This can be addressed later on by choosing different mounting holes on the outboard.

First we have to locate the cavitation plate relative to the keel, motor mounting holes and bracket mounting holes:

On the outboard, measure the distance x from the top of the cavitation plate to the center of the middle mounting hole on the outboard. From the distance x, subtract the distance y measured from the center of the mounting hole on the bracket to the top surface of the bracket deck.

If you add the height adjustment that you calculated from the rule of thumb you will end up with the distance z. The distance z is the location of the top of the bracket deck relative to the keel of the boat.

(x-y) + (offset height adjustment) = z

Because the transom is angled, you can’t directly transfer z to the transom. You have to take into account the angle, A. If you sort through the cobwebs in your skull that used to be your knowledge of high school geometry you will remember that the cosine of angle A is equal to z/h. If you rearrange the equation to solve for h you end up with:

h = z/cos A

There is a very easy way to measure the angle A that uses a standard carpenters square. Click on THIS LINK (http://www.dadmarine.com/angle2.htm) for instructions.

Once you have the value of h you can just slap a tape measure on the transom and mark off the spot where the top deck of your bracket needs to be located on the transom.

I got lucky and the rule of thumb worked out perfectly. Chances are once you get it all set up and sea trial the boat you will need to go up or down a bit using the motor mounting holes. The goal is to get the cavitation plate riding at or just above the surface of the water when the boat is on plane.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/G0Fish/BracketMeasurements.jpg

Chimo
27-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi there

Nice explination does take all the guess work out of it and the rules of thumb and black art!

By the way your link = 'This Account Has Been Suspended':'(

Cheers
Chimo

wayno60
27-06-2010, 02:43 PM
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7551/podt.png