PDA

View Full Version : Extendable draw bar

bugman
17-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Gents,

Anyone got any pics or drawings they can post on their version of an extendable draw bar.

I'm taking the tinny up to Fraser next month. I'm thinking a separate box section length of about 8 foot with it's own hitch bolted on. I simply U Bolt this to the current draw bar when I want to use it.

Simple and should work - what do you think.

Brett

Mr__Bean
17-06-2010, 07:02 PM
I bolted the same thing under the existing tow hitch.

Similar concept.

See here: http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=111015

- Darren

bugman
17-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks Darren.

Big difference between your massive tank and my little tinny mate but yeah I think similar concept but without the sleeve just using U Bolts to hold it on.

Out of interest I was thinking of going on the side rather than underneath just because I thought it might put the arse of the tinny lower to the ground. Then again that might not be a bad thing when launching from the beach.

Brett

finga
17-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Have a look at Lucky Phil's when your going past.
It's a corker of an idea that easily used.
Here's the thread to show how his is done.
I hope you don't mind Phil??
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=156382

bugman
17-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Finga,

He never does things by half our friend Phil does he.

That does however give me an idea.

Phil have you still got the original drawbar we made for Rebait all those years ago. I could just use that and bolt it on the side?

Brett

finga
17-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Either that or make a bracket that bolts to your trailer that will suit his new one and just pilfer it.
Knowing Phil he's used the old one to brace the magnolia tree up or used it as a ramp for the cane toads to climb out of his pool or something like that.

murf
17-06-2010, 07:59 PM
what boat is it Brett?

cheers Murf

bugman
17-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Murf,

It's my 5m open Brooker with a 60 on the back. A bit downsized than what we've had up there before but versatile nonetheless.

Brett

Finga - you're right - it's probably gone by now - but he'll be up their using his new one at the time.

Brett

murf
17-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Murf,

It's my 5m open Brooker with a 60 on the back. A bit downsized than what we've had up there before but versatile nonetheless.

Brett

we must do it really different down here in NSW???? I took up a 5.2m very over weight old tinny to Fraser a few years back (yes the one that wouldn't stay on the trailer haha) made up an extendible drawbar and left it in camp all two weeks ;)

Fraser is the easiest launching I have ever had from a beach except for one rather large wave I put the 4.75m C/C Bluefin through off Waddy Pt :o

only been there with a boat when the Toyota fish comps were on so I would always pick a worse spot to launch retrieve to give the bigger boats more room

if your going past one day (live 400m off HWY) I will show you where we launch at Arrawarra and also show you Pebbly Beach (its in my back yard) ;)

cheers Murf

Smithy
17-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Here's what we did for Scotty's CCC last trip to Waddy.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/xtasea.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/luke.jpg

The boys I go with have nearly always made use of the hitch somehow each time by welding something on for a new towball on the extension drawbar part. We have also made use of removable jockey wheel brackets and lengths of straight gal pipe for them to go into. I have seen tinnies there doing what you are suggesting by just using U bolts over the existing drawbar. All good if you don't have stuff in the way.

Deelirious
17-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Buggy,
I made my own extension draw bar brackets one year from threaded gal rod and although it worked for the week I was there by the time I finished they were bent to the buggery. I also had that draw bar off to the side and this was on a 4.8m fisher. After that I bought a legit extension draw bar but the only main difference was that it used some serious brackets rather that dodgy home bent threaded rod.

John_R
18-06-2010, 05:23 AM
Brett,

I have one that I got made up for my Quintrex for the Fraser expo. It just clamps under the drawbar with spacers to miss the brake components. I now have a Noble Super V with a larger draw bar so it doesn't suit it.

bugman
18-06-2010, 09:34 AM
John, Now that sounds like an idea. Anything that involves me thinking or working less I tend to gravitate towards. Any chance you could take a piccy so I could roughly size it up with the spacers etc and then if it looks the goods I'll come up and have a look. Brett

brisbane_boy
18-06-2010, 11:56 AM
brett, if theres a shore dump i prefer not to play with boats and trailers, not hard to sustain damage to yaself or ither, i got a 12mm rope spliced up, its about 15m long, when the gutters unworkable i hook that up between the car and boat shackle at each end and drag it out of the water, a transducer sliding bracket should be in the up position at this point. its not hard to get a tinny back on the trailer dry, launching is that quick with a small boat and the trailer so light i dont think getting bogged is possible, to lazy for drawbar extension hassels

murf
18-06-2010, 01:28 PM
brett, if theres a shore dump i prefer not to play with boats and trailers, not hard to sustain damage to yaself or ither, i got a 12mm rope spliced up, its about 15m long, when the gutters unworkable i hook that up between the car and boat shackle at each end and drag it out of the water, a transducer sliding bracket should be in the up position at this point. its not hard to get a tinny back on the trailer dry, launching is that quick with a small boat and the trailer so light i dont think getting bogged is possible, to lazy for drawbar extension hassels

yep yep

I use a 4x4 winch extension strap (thats what I had lying around) from the bottom of the winch post with a hook on it, it stays with the trailer

a mate has pulled his boat up the beach for 20 years on the winch wire rope and never had a problem

you just reverse the trailer back under the boat and its 2/3rds of the way back on the trailer. If I have someone on the winch or I am using my new little remote control electric winch as soon as the boat is clear of the sand I idle in first low and face the car and boat down hill to make it easier to finish the winch

most of the time using the gutter right up at Waddy its like a boat ramp with still water

cheers Murf

John_R
18-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Yep. I can take a photo and measure it up for you. When are you heading to Fraser?

It is 4m long of 100x50 with hitch and spacers. I have a bag with U bolts and extra spacers. To transport it to Fraser I just clamped it to the trailer alongside the boat.

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac182/johnarandall/Drawbar1.jpg

bugman
19-06-2010, 10:35 AM
John,
Yep looks the goods. I'm sure I can make something out of that for sure.
We're heading up to Fraser in 4 weeks time so I'll try and make it up to your place this week in order to give me a bit of time if I need to cut and shut.

Brissy Boy - As Murf says - if the launching area isn't flat then I'm guessing I'm not launching the tinny as it's probably too rough for me. In a half cabin jumping breaking waves isn't much of a concern but the little Brooker doesn't like waves landing on her;D
If it's rough enough to have swell rolling over the back sand bar and into the launching gutter I'll probably be beaching fishing.
Having said that I've got a truckies tie down that is missing the ratchet part. The long section and hook will make a tow rope to drag her up the beach. I've put trailers under smaller boats before when they've been sitting on the ground but never something in the 5m range. In theory it should be possible.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Brett

bigbrian47
19-06-2010, 10:55 AM
brett retrieving my viking by dragging it up the beach
and virtually reversing the trailer under the boat rather than winching it up
(except for the last few feet) is easier than worrying about wave movement
cheers brian