PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 20hp 2/ Cowl

upstart
16-06-2010, 11:51 PM
The cowl on my 2008 Yammie 20hp 2 stroke has a big crack in it. Some clown rammed it.

What's a new cowl worth? Or am I better off getting someone...who?...to repair it?

Thanks

Ben.

gr hilly
17-06-2010, 12:07 AM
if its not bad damage reoair it mate but if its to bad replace it it wont to much.
hilly

finga
17-06-2010, 07:27 AM
Are they plastic or fibreglass??

Ring a dealer and get a price on a new one. You'll be amazed.
Which state of amazement is yet to be decided.
You'll be amazed it's either so expensive or so cheap.

Noelm
17-06-2010, 09:04 AM
not too sure how relevant it is, but I had the same thing happen to me, I priced a new cowl (115HP) and it was $1,200 plus decals, I ended up fixing it myself, looks a bit shabby, but much cheaper, I think yours is a fibreglass cowl correct?

FNQCairns
17-06-2010, 09:32 AM
When I refurbished my yamaha I also fixed a cracked cowl, still today i don't know what it is made of, it's too soft to be epoxy and it didn't behave like polyester but still it could be a form of either i guess.

Anyway epoxy and thin biaxial mat make it structurally better than new. head to a friendly model shop and ask there for a customer/worker who would like a few dollars, they can be good at stuff like this, then take it to a the panel beaters for paint job. If you pick a custom paint shop there is even room for a custom paint job when all finished still cheaper than buying a new one?

Noelm
17-06-2010, 11:46 AM
if it is a plastic like material, it will be Acrylic, just like they make baths and stuff out of, it can be reapired just like new but it will cost, it can also be repaired after a good sanding with some coarse paper and a standard old fibreglass repair kit (thats how I did mine)

BaitThrower
17-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Yep a basic fibreglass repair kit will fix it up if it isnt cracked in many places and chunks broken off... Repair it from the inside first with the matting and putty from a kit and then if there are any major gaps or the like in the external, fill those two with the same putty or get some car body filler etc that easily sands and takes paint (if you need to recoat it)

BrisBen
19-06-2010, 07:54 AM
most of the cowls ive seen are made of a composite material known as SMC they make alot of truck panels and ive also seen jetski hulls made from it. It can be easily repaired but unfortunately your standard polyester fibreglass resins wont bond to it properly.There is products specifically designed for this material and do repair very successfully.