PDA

View Full Version : Hydrofield Sandfly

gr hilly
16-06-2010, 05:03 PM
I know it has taken me a long time but as I promised I have now taken pic's of my new toy. I picked it up today so now I will start my little project.
Cheers Hilly
:)
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/juleshonney/IMG_1234.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/juleshonney/IMG_1236.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/juleshonney/IMG_1238.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/juleshonney/IMG_1244.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/juleshonney/IMG_1237.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/juleshonney/IMG_1245.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/juleshonney/IMG_1246.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/juleshonney/IMG_1249.jpg

DALEPRICE
16-06-2010, 05:09 PM
looks like a cracker mate well done. Looks like a big little boat.
cheers dale

zakster
16-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Congratulations Hilly, Iknow you are going to be wrapped in what this hull is capable of.

cheers

Duckfish
16-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Top looking boat Hilly. Me thinks that you are going to have many an enjoyable time with the rig.
Duck

sleepygreg
16-06-2010, 11:53 PM
that looks like a cracker of a boat. What length is it and what size donk has it got?

gr hilly
17-06-2010, 12:02 AM
hi greg about 15 ft with a 70 hp mate it has all the fishing gear like live bait tank and good esky under seats self draining floors 3 bilge pumps radio sounder power winch im quite pleased with it ive been after one of these for ages.

cheers hilly

sleepygreg
17-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Im jealous Hilly...its just the sort of boat I would be looking for for my near shore trips (scarby reef, pine river, pumistone passage, mack chasing etc) and able to sneak up to the dams to chase the odd bass, barra redclaw. Dont want to know exactly how much you paid for it...but whats the ball park figure?

Greg

gr hilly
17-06-2010, 12:13 AM
youll cry greg i paid 4 grand for it mate both trailer and boat with rego and the trailer is in top condition,i recently bought a new tinny got sick of looking for one of these now i got 2 boats i recon this hydrofield draws less water than the tinny.

hilly

sleepygreg
17-06-2010, 12:23 AM
:o :'( :'( :'( now that is a bargain if ever I saw one!!!!

gr hilly
17-06-2010, 12:31 AM
yes mate but the motor is a bit dodgy i recon ill be up for a new one but every thing else is perfect.cheers hilly

finga
17-06-2010, 07:17 AM
You b@stard.
The bargain of the year I reckon.
And to think you had doubts about buying it.

If you want to sell it let me know....but don't forget we all know what you paid :)

A little Honda would be real sweet on her if/when the Johno goes kaput.

PS: You've done well matey. Enjoy :)

gr hilly
17-06-2010, 12:49 PM
You b@stard.
The bargain of the year I reckon.
And to think you had doubts about buying it.

If you want to sell it let me know....but don't forget we all know what you paid :)

A little Honda would be real sweet on her if/when the Johno goes kaput.

PS: You've done well matey. Enjoy :)

hey finga what size honda do you recon would be the go mate or if any one else has any idea's i would like some opinions.

cheers hilly

zakster
17-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Hilly
Be careful with your weight when repowering. 70 hp is too much for a Sandfly.
The originals had no pod so i'm guessing yours is modified to support the extra
weight of the 70. They are rated to 50hp two stroke. I had a 55 yammie on mine
and it flew, although it needed a foil for a quick hole shot. The original test boat was powered by a 40 tohatsu.

cheers

finga
17-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Yep, I would have thought 70 over the top.
A nice little 50 or even 40 and jobs done.
When your ready give (Gary) Spaniard King a cooee.
Here's his website
http://www.gdmarineservices.com.au/
He won't steer you wrong on sizing and advice. :)

gr hilly
17-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Yep, I would have thought 70 over the top.
A nice little 50 or even 40 and jobs done.
When your ready give (Gary) Spaniard King a cooee.
Here's his website
http://www.gdmarineservices.com.au/
He won't steer you wrong on sizing and advice. :)

yes Finga the boat is modified a tad the more i look the more i find i am thinking of going with a new motor i might have to give Gary a call for a quote on a new motor and you recon a Honda is the way to go,ive always been a Merc man myself but times are changing.
cheers hilly

gr hilly
18-06-2010, 06:04 PM
i have spent a few hours now trying to get prices on new boat motors, i can find motors but no prices does any one know a site that are not scared to post their sale prices.

cheers hilly

pursuit001
18-06-2010, 07:41 PM
hi mate try www.##############.com.au they have all there prices on there web site

Jarrah Jack
18-06-2010, 08:34 PM
The trading post has a lot of ads from dealers with sale prices. I would then throw that price to the dealer you choose.

nigelr
19-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Go with the best-reputed local marine mechanic. That's presumably where you'll go to get the motor serviced etc. If he is attached to a dealership, even better. Go with the motor they recommend/sell.
Can be a case of spending a penny to save a pound, if you get my drift....
You reckon that sandfly would cross a bar on a kind day GR?
Ever cross a bar in yours zakster?
Cheers.

gr hilly
04-07-2010, 12:36 PM
she gets a detail tomorrow and then i'm waiting to see if the motor is any good,if not i would not have a clue what to buy. so ill be picking your brains guys.
cheers hilly

gr hilly
04-07-2010, 12:42 PM
as for the bar it wont be a problem lots of good vision can get the nose up easy i just have to make sure the power is good.
cheers hilly

Hornet Rider
04-07-2010, 01:03 PM
hilly,

what a great little toy, would have gone at warp speed with that 70. Test report here http://www.marinews.com/details.php?recordid=495

cheers, HR

got those non slip booties yet?

FNQCairns
04-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Top boat you found there! just a little tongue in cheek but with those tunnel exits placed as they are each side and because its a fishing boat it would make a top candidate for twins:)

Is it 15 foot including the pod?

gr hilly
04-07-2010, 02:37 PM
yes FNQ 15 ft is correct all up mate.
Hilly

gr hilly
04-07-2010, 02:44 PM
hilly,

what a great little toy, would have gone at warp speed with that 70. Test report here http://www.marinews.com/details.php?recordid=495

cheers, HR

got those non slip booties yet?

yes mate i have seen that report however this one i have has about 100 kg of extras plus the podd which is 4 ml alloy ea as floatation tanks to they are prety solid as i have stood on them with no movement at all they would weigh a fair bit to
cheers Hilly

gr hilly
04-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Top boat you found there! just a little tongue in cheek but with those tunnel exits placed as they are each side and because its a fishing boat it would make a top candidate for twins:)

Is it 15 foot including the pod?

twins would be just dandy, but the podd was designed for a single motor the centre of the podd sticks out about 8ins, and this is where the motor is i would have to have a lot of work done to change the design as the steering and electrics all run under the deck in the center and exit at the one spot.
cheers Hilly

gr hilly
04-07-2010, 03:07 PM
yes FNQ 15 ft is correct all up mate.
Hilly

rong FNQ all up including the podd is 16 ft down the middle.
cheers hilly

finga
04-07-2010, 04:43 PM
How does she look now after Dave's been at it??

gr hilly
04-07-2010, 05:01 PM
he comes at 7am in the morning ill take a pic and post it should come up good i hope, then im just waiting for jeff to check the motor out for me he is on fraser the lucky bugger,if the motor is no good ill be shopping for another i have found a couple at the goldcoast at dealers, but ill get jeff to check them out to from the nose to the back of the podd is 16 ft so i think i will need 60 or 70 hp from what i can see the original hull has been modified with a lot of weight from 200 kg to nearly 300 kg what do you recon?.
cheers hilly

zakster
04-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Go with the best-reputed local marine mechanic. That's presumably where you'll go to get the motor serviced etc. If he is attached to a dealership, even better. Go with the motor they recommend/sell.
Cheers.

Nig, Had a 55 hp yammie on mine. It flew, needed a foil for a quicker hole shot.
All my fishing involves crossing bars, Sth. West Rocks and Pt. Macquarie. Because of the centre console setup had to be a bit careful on certain days especially at Rocks. ( The Rocks bar rolled 7 boats in 5 days a few years back) As for returning
nothing tracks straighter than a hydrofield. There is some footage on the original
13 foot Sandflys being tested on Jumpin pin bar by Leon Fields. They are incredible little hulls.

cheers

gr hilly
04-07-2010, 07:28 PM
i would like to see the footage by Leon Feilds that would be great,do you have this or is it posted somewhere?any info would be great

cheers Hilly

gr hilly
04-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Cheers.
without even going in the boat in the water it will be a little beauty in the bar,if i power it correctly i will be able to do all sorts after seeing some footage, and with my knowledge of bar crossings ill have a ball.

gr hilly
10-07-2010, 01:27 PM
i got that disc thanks mate ill return it on mon ill mail it back to you what a beauty it blew me away, its starting to look good now after a good detail still lots to do but getting there im still not sure on motor size its 16 ft with the podd, and the podd is a flotation tank, ill know about the motor next week when Jeff checks out the 70 johno for me.

Lovey80
12-07-2010, 02:42 AM
Hilly,

cracker of a little boat there mate. Should rival my little Twinfisher for sure. I'd love to see you go over the top with her and put a hart top on her and mount some outriggers off it ;) How funny would it be that little thing taking out a game fishing comp :D

gr hilly
12-07-2010, 07:10 AM
lol outriggers that would look mean but a hard top i have given that some thought i have had a couple of quotes.the name and new no's are on now looks great if i may say i have seen footage of these boats playing in the jumpinpin what a blast one got stuck on the sand and he jumped out and pushed it off lol.
cheers Hilly

gr hilly
12-07-2010, 06:45 PM
well guys my boat mech got back from Fraser yesterday he came around and checked out the 70 Jhono for me, and low and behold hasn't run for 5 or 6 years the compression was 110 on all 3 so he hooked up some fuel a little choke and presto purred like a kitten,trim and tilt is stuffed steering cable buggered to he wants to fix a couple of things but im wrapped.
cheers Hilly

Lovey80
12-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Hilly, I know you probably don't need it but I highly recommend putting hydraulic steering on her. No more seized cables and is a dream to manoeuvre even for a little boat. I did it on my 4.3 with 50HP Suzuki and I would never go back. Well worth the cash.

Cheers

Chris

gr hilly
13-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Hilly, I know you probably don't need it but I highly recommend putting hydraulic steering on her. No more seized cables and is a dream to manoeuvre even for a little boat. I did it on my 4.3 with 50HP Suzuki and I would never go back. Well worth the cash.

Cheers

Chris
as soon as you can email me that hard top info do mate i am interested.i am going with hydraulic steering mate.
cheers Hilly.

gr hilly
27-01-2012, 01:35 PM
well fellas i still have the hydrofield under a tarp,i hav'nt wet it yet i pulled off the power trim and tilt and the stearing they were stuck tight and thats all i have done so after losing some sleep thinking hard im selling it i use my tinny its so much easier for me i have kept the rego uptodate the parts power trim and tilt i know where they are ready for me to pick up they are only a couple of hundred so if any one wants a bargain contact me i have not advertised the boat for sale i dont think i will have to.
cheers,Hilly

Wet Work
24-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Damn, wish i had some $ to buy it. Would be awesome to have even a small hydrofield again.