PDA

View Full Version : Which tinnie ?

capt
15-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Hi all,

looking at buying a tinnie around 12ft .....3.9 to 4.1m ........ must have high sides

and a resonably deep vee. With a strong trailer......... dosn't necessarily need a

donk.....Second hand prefered........

Any clues on which is the best for my needs

Cheers Jimmy

Noelm
16-06-2010, 09:35 AM
buying second hand is very hard to find the exact thing you want, I guess you are looking at an open, tiller steer setup? if so, they are not all that dear in that size range new if you get an unpainted one, and trailers are very pice oriented, as in, the dearer the trailer the better (usually)

Chimo
16-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi Jimmy

Why not do a search for dorys and see what pops up?

Stuff like this http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8334573 which Gary would approve of too.

Or http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8738268

or http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8228173

Cheers
Chimo

White Pointer
16-06-2010, 08:19 PM
G'day,

Take a hard look at this. At least take a demonstration run. That's what we build it for.

http://www.originboats.com.au/owners/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=49&limitstart=1

Regards,

Stephen Minslow (aka White Pointer)
Director Origin Boats

robothefisho
16-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Have a look at a stessco catcher 420. Very good for the price, a tad bigger than what you specified but would impress.

joey_1987
16-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Can put in a good word for stacer-I own a 3.95m Seasprite. It has high sides, they also go for significantly cheaper than 4.2m Dory's/similar hulls. Is very lightweight, easy to handle, not sure what they are worth new now but I got mine set up December 2005 for just under 6k incl nav lights/battery and 30hp 2s. When you say strong trailer, what's strong in your eyes?
Goodluck.

tunaticer
17-06-2010, 05:25 PM
I do not know if they are still around new or not, but the old Stessl Truck is what you were describing pretty much and were cheap options. Very basic and suitable for fitouts as you see fit.

gr hilly
17-06-2010, 05:51 PM
i bought a new stessco catcher 420 at Christmas i am very happy with it however i have just bought another glass boat and i might (might) be selling the stessco to buy a new motor for the glass boat,but the stessco is a good boat now days with deep sides 3 mil bottom rails rear step front casting deck under floor storage side pockets if i sell mine i have only done 14 hrs with my 30 hp merc the trailer was also new i allso fitted it with a bimini cover and a good quality sounder ill know in a week if im selling after my glass boats moter gets checked out.
cheers hilly

capt
17-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks so far to all who have responded.........

Have cosidered the following........Blue fin 3.9.....mates got one dosn't know if he wants to sell it , will forget that one ......
Horizon 415 angler s/h 3mm bottom 1.6 mm sides all the bells and whistles with full floor , and keen , however has full floor and think low floor would be better for offshore............
favouring the Stessco 425 FL catcher , new ,with 3mm floor option of 3mm sides, low floor, solid trailer . It has all the goods as yours have Hilly, but the appealing thing is the wide gunnels to mount all kind of gear in , yours got that ?

White Pointer........ yours look the strongest around, and I know you get what ya pay for but will probably blow the budget

Still looking ........ so many options ! !

cheers Jimmy

gr hilly
17-06-2010, 09:43 PM
yes mate thats the one i am very happy with it but i just fell in love with another boat and bought it as soon as i saw it i dont know if ill keep both yet because the catcher is so good to handle on my own im getting on a bit now and don't want to bust my guts any more i can push it around the garden its so easy and it runs on the smell of a rag.

cheers hilly

GBC
18-06-2010, 05:40 AM
I can't believe I'm giving them a wrap but if you plan on doing a few miles in one- quintrex are now doing the 420 dory on the milenium hull which reads quite well in the reviews. Price is right anyhow.

Scott Ashe
18-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Hi Mate,

The 425 Allycraft "Reelmate" may be worth having a look at. Mine is 12months old today and has lots of standard features like anchor well, casting platform with under floor storage, side pockets a transducer mounting and a 3ml bottom sheet.

I paid $2959 with rego and safety gear. You could match it with a basic 30hp engine to keep the price down and still achieve reasonably good performance.

I have the new 30 4 stroke EFI Yam all electric on mine.

Just thought I'd throw it in the mix for consideration.

Cheers
Scott

capt
20-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Hi there again crew,

well it is still 2 contenders ......... s/h Horizon '06 415 Easy Fisher all the gear in good nic 30hp 3 cyl Yammie with charge kit for around $7000 or

new Stessco 425 catcher same donk as above for around $ 8900

After reading some posts here the catcher build seems ordinary, however the wide gunnels still do it for me.

The Horizon has a different dead rise in the bow....... longer rake with a roller in the bow sprit. could this dead rise improve ride and make the boat dryer ride ?

Hilly , whats the specs. of yours and what sort of dough would you want ?
What other boat did you get ?

cheers Jimmy

capt
22-06-2010, 09:23 AM
just heard yesterday that the 415 Easy Fisher is a wet boat......... this was from a dealer who used to sell this boat ? ? ?

i

Can anyone else back that up ?

Jimmy

STUIE63
22-06-2010, 09:31 AM
any open boat of that size is a wet boat
Stuie

gr hilly
22-06-2010, 11:35 AM
the boat i just bought is a hydrofield its a little ripper i was looking for 3 yrs and gave up and then bought the stessco and one of the main reasons i decided on this tinnie was 3 ml bottom rear step and wide wales its allso a deep sided boat witch is great for the grandkids side pockets are a bonus trans bracket rear step under floor storage and i had a choice of 10 hulls so i could pick the one with the best welding job the reason i picked the merc motor is 5yrs warranty the trailer was also built by stessco to suit that size boat and i got a bloody good deal my boat mech is on fraser on a fishing trip so i wont know for a while how the motor shapes up on my hydrofield but if the 70 johno is no good ill sell my tinnie.

Hilly

neil_stessco
22-06-2010, 02:27 PM
I had the 2009 sf420 catcher, i put a 60L fuel tank under the floor just forward of the front seats, made it a different boat i kicked myself for selling it but im upgrading to the sf445. If you go the stessco go the 40 hp over the 30, i had a 40 4stroke yammi on mine and she would wot at 39knts.

Matt76
22-06-2010, 05:05 PM
All the boats in that market are a very basic boat mate, but should all do the job fine. I had a Quintrex 4.2 dory a few years ago and was never entirely happy with it, it just didnt ride nice and was very very wet. I have a 3.95 Allycraft avalon now and it out performs the dory, though it should because it is smaller and lighter. I had 25hp on both, the dory was definately underpowered.

capt
22-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks Hilly........ a mate Matty down my way has a stretch version of the hydro and he loves it. Has the catcher got a casting deck up foreward ? will be keen to hear how the Jonno goes.

Neil........... seems a lot of tanks go up forward in these smaller boats, yours probably didn't have the storage/ casting deck. What sort of $ did you get if ya don't mind me asking ?

Matt........... yes I looked at the 4.1 Rhino alleycraft 2mm bottom , about the same price as the Catcher with lots more extras........ Are you saying the Avalon was drier than the dory ?

JIMMY

Matt76
22-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Matt........... yes I looked at the 4.1 Rhino alleycraft 2mm bottom , about the same price as the Catcher with lots more extras........ Are you saying the Avalon was drier than the dory ?

JIMMY

Mate I reckon it is, it's hard to tell without having the 2 side by side in the same water though. The dory with the 25 seemed to sit really low in the water and didnt sit right up on the surface when on the plane. Thats just my experience though, there might be plenty of people who have one that they are really happy with.

I bought a basic hull and added floor, lights, battery, side pockets, rod holders etc. The end result is a pretty good tinnie I reckon.

My family is outgrowing it though as they all want to come with me now, so I am getting a bigger boat built and a mate is pretty sure he is going to buy mine. I will miss being able to chuck it in the local boat ramp at low tide and go crabbing though, If only I could keep both....

gr hilly
22-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks Hilly........ a mate Matty down my way has a stretch version of the hydro and he loves it. Has the catcher got a casting deck up foreward ? will be keen to hear how the Jonno goes.

Neil........... seems a lot of tanks go up forward in these smaller boats, yours probably didn't have the storage/ casting deck. What sort of $ did you get if ya don't mind me asking ?

JIMMY
yes mate it has the casting deck the latest version if you look under boating on here you'll see some pics of the hydro it has been modified to.
cheers Hilly

PlayerOne
23-06-2010, 10:26 AM
i'd reccommend a 4.2 Dory and its a very practical boat.... has high(ish) sides and rides well.

(Mines got a 40hp tiller, w/bow mount electric - fishes well 2 and occasionally 3up!::) )

White Pointer
24-06-2010, 10:46 PM
any open boat of that size is a wet boat
Stuie

G'day,

Not necessarily. It depends on freeboard and size and shape of chines - and the sea-state of course.

Regards,

White Pointer