PDA

View Full Version : Converting Bowrider to a cabin boat

bowrider540
14-06-2010, 10:22 PM
I have a Horizon Bowrider Seabreeze 540 and since owning the boat the family has grown and now we are keen to look at some more shelter for the toddlers etc. Was looking on Horizon website their Getaway 540 looks like the bowrider with just the cabin on the front instead of the open bow.

Has anybody ever converted a bowrdier to a cuddy or half cabin? if so would love to hear from you. Love to hear peoples thoughts on this idea and if it is even possible. Any suggestions on who to talk too. I have been told by Horizon it would require a fair bit of cutting and rewelding but they did not give a price so am trying to get a price

Look forward to hearing from everyone.

Blackened
15-06-2010, 08:02 AM
G'day

IMO price would far outweigh the benefits, and greatly reduce the resale value.

Have you considered some kind of front bimini setup?

What's wrong with just upgrading to another boat with a deck config. that suits your needs?

Dave

Volcano
15-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Where do you live? I've just replaced a fibreglass cabin and bimini with a full hard top. Was going to put the cabin and bimini on ebay - might be worth you checking out to see if it fits/suits. PM me if you are interested.
Obviously you would need a fibreglasser to fill in the cutouts in the helm that had my instruments. other than that its a bolt on and sika-flex down job.

Jarrah Jack
15-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Unless you are lucky with an offer like Volcano's you may be better off just selling the BR and buying what you want. Have a look at prospective boats for sale that would suit and what the market is for your boat and go from there.

bowrider540
16-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Have received information back from the Boats manufacturers who can transform the standard BR into a full cuddy cabin for around $5000 to trade the BR and purchase a boat that would be suitable the change over price would be similar if not more. So still deciding if it is worth it.

Pros

A lot more protection from spray wind and sun especially for the kids when they are not fishing.

Cons

Cost, Lose a lot of fishing space up front.

Still undecided will have to go have a look at some cuddy cabins.

Does anyone own a cuddy cabin - if so what do you think?

Thanks Volcano but if I get it done I am thinking will go with the manufacturers to do the full job right from the start.

Resale value - is a BR really worth more than a Cuddy Cabin

Sabre
16-06-2010, 04:22 PM
After going from a 5.25 BR to a cuddy, I understand your torment. The extra protection is good for the family, but my god, for fishing versatility you cannot go past a BR, and I steps up to a 21ft cuddy/half cab!

If I had the time again, I would seriously assess how I use the boat, and choose what is better for the majority of use......my majority of use was fishing, so the BR was a better choice for me......

Shagles
16-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Have you looked at a removable one? ie. linked aluminiun tube with a clip on vinyl cover. Definitely be cheaper and wouldnt ruin your resale. I had one on the front of a 6m open tinnie once, could stow it while fishing, took 5mins to put it on, great for sleeping under... Hope this helps