PDA

View Full Version : Night-time raid costs illegal crabber his boat and $5000

Derek Bullock
13-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Minister for Primary Industries, Fisheries and Rural and Regional Queensland
The Honourable Tim Mulherin
13/06/2010 Night-time raid costs illegal crabber his boat and $5000
13 June 2010

A recreational fisher has lost his boat and been fined $5,000 by Brisbane's Magistrates Court on Wednesday after being found with an illegal haul of mud crabs.

Minister for Primary Industries, Fisheries and Rural and Regional Queensland Tim Mulherin said the fisher was found with excess, undersized and female mud crabs.

"The crabs were found in a secret onboard compartment by Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) officers," the Minister said.

"This was a deliberate attempt to ignore Queensland's fishing rules and regulations, which are designed to ensure our fishery remains sustainable.

"The fisher was convicted for this offence and his boat, which has been forfeited to the crown, could be destroyed.

"This action sends a clear warning to people who deliberately conceal fisheries products with the intent to get away with illegal catch.

"Any fisher who gets caught with a secret compartment containing illegal catch is at risk of losing their boat.

"The recreational fisher from Brisbane was convicted on three charges - possessing 13 female, 10 undersized and 22 excess mud crabs."

"This is not a case of a recreational fisher not knowing the rules, it was a calculated attempt at breaking them," the Minister said.

"The hidden compartment wasn't found when QBFP officers first searched the boat. It was only after a thorough inspection by officers that the compartment was found.

The Minister said male mud crabs have a bag limit of 10 and a size limit of 15 centimetres.

"We take these offences very seriously and fines are high for those found guilty," he said.

"In this case the defendant has also lost his boat, which is estimated to be worth about $8,000.

"This latest court ruling comes after a commercial fisher was fined $45,000 in April for being in possession of 158 female mud crabs.

"People willing to take a chan ce and break the law should know that our officers will catch and prosecute them.

"This fisher went to great lengths to conceal his illegal catch, but it's not a matter of if you get caught but when."

QBFP officer Hayley Meiers said the investigation was in response to complaints from the public about night-time activity at boat ramps around Brisbane.

"We want to thank the community for being vigilant on this occasion - with their help we can continue to target our resources at those who ignore the law," she said.

"We inspected the defendant's boat in February at the Pinkenba boat ramp.

"After searching the boat, we found a concealed compartment under the floor containing two bags of regulated crabs.

"The compartment had clearly been constructed with the intent to conceal fish catch.

"More than 700,000 people fish each year in Queensland and the majority of them adhere to the rules.

"In 2009, officers carried ou t 43,687 fisheries inspections which resulted in a total of 1094 fines or prosecutions for illegal fishing, while a further 670 people were cautioned.

"These figures reflect the fact that Queensland has a very high compliance rate within the fishing sector at nearly 97 percent."

Ms Meiers said anyone with information on suspect illegal fishing activity should contact the 24-hour Fishwatch hotline on 1800 017 116.

FNQCairns
13-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Good job, possibly he was also a share farmer.

Angla
13-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Good show for all that had a hand in getting this scumbag.

Cheers
Chris

Razgo-
13-06-2010, 12:37 PM
good job! maybe a few less crab pots will be reported stolen.

You have to wonder though if this will deter him not to do it again. it sounds like he has gone to calculated lengths to continue to get away with up until now.

tunaticer
13-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Good job on nailing this prick.
I would like to see results like this every week of the year, not once or twice a year.

Apollo
13-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Well done QB&F

gr hilly
13-06-2010, 06:55 PM
good job done by all they should of took his house to

hilly

wayno60
13-06-2010, 08:26 PM
1094 fines or prosecutions

Why not make all these cases well advertised so as to scare of anyone else of doing the same.

yes we know what can happen if you get caught but i dont think that every rec fisherperson does, not after seeing what some ppl were keeping on the seaway wall over the last few weeks

Scott nthQld
13-06-2010, 08:52 PM
good job by QBFP, but makes you think, if he had a specially constructed concealed compartment, how long had he been doing it??

I also note that they mention the boat could be destroyed....why? Especially when they have the opportunity to put it to auction and maybe even donate the proceeds to the local VMR or something. FFS you'd think they'd be able to think of a way to put it to some use, even if they get a couple hundred for it, better than nothing. They do it for impounded cars

BaitThrower
14-06-2010, 05:43 AM
Add it to the artificial reefs :)

Matt76
14-06-2010, 07:00 AM
good job by QBFP, but makes you think, if he had a specially constructed concealed compartment, how long had he been doing it??

I also note that they mention the boat could be destroyed....why? Especially when they have the opportunity to put it to auction and maybe even donate the proceeds to the local VMR or something. FFS you'd think they'd be able to think of a way to put it to some use, even if they get a couple hundred for it, better than nothing. They do it for impounded cars

I can see the advert now..."for sale, 1 excellent crabbing boat, has great little hidden compartments to store you undersize and female crabs" haha

Its great to hear of these guys getting prosecuted. It makes me feel better about doing the right thing.

4x4frog
14-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Great job QBFP & all who helped.
I agree, there should be more name and shaming ACA/TT style. Stuff the civil rights mobs, these guys are breaking the law, which the rest of us adhere to strictly and it makes the honest of us look bad especially when these tossers are called rec fishos.
IMO, they are not rec fishos but common criminals because their sole intent is to make a quick $$ by flouting the laws.

Rodman
14-06-2010, 02:37 PM
An article in sundays paper saw a fisherman get busted for undersize male,female crabs and over the limit.
They were found hidden under the floor boards
Received a $5000 fine and also had his $8000 boat conforiscated by the court
Couldn't happen to a better arxxhole like that.

Ken

bennykenny
14-06-2010, 02:49 PM
hopefully it will keep him off the water, for a while anyway.

finga
14-06-2010, 02:57 PM
They should be mounting the boat on a post at the ramp with a sign...
"your boat will be on a post at the next boat ramp if we catch you with an illegal bag"
Might make people think twice.

Actually I thought they could take the car and trailer too.

bennykenny
14-06-2010, 02:59 PM
thats an awesome idea finga, i think it would definatly work!

Angla
14-06-2010, 03:19 PM
They should be mounting the boat on a post at the ramp with a sign...
"your boat will be on a post at the next boat ramp if we catch you with an illegal bag"
Might make people think twice.

Actually I thought they could take the car and trailer too.

That would make it easy to pick the axxholes. They would then be driving the cheapest cars pulling the worst trailers carrying the nastiest boats.

Cheers
Chris

dreemon
14-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Was at a job and talking to the tennant and he told me how he was getting so many muddies that " He was EVEN throwing the Jennies bacK" Total Scab.

anouther time at the boat ramp(2 weeks ago) these two guys with a flash outside boat proudly showed me their catch , all but one was undersize, squire and trag from out of the seaway, all I said is " I think that one is leagal?"

these same people get grumpy very easy when you try and tell them theres a huge fine for keeping fish that aren't keepers.

theres alot of laws and rules but some are closer to the obvious and some mugs just don't care, my family and mates that come out with me are happy to throw the undersize back knowing it's the right thing to do.

Haji-Baba
14-06-2010, 08:11 PM
There is a little grave near a set of toilets out west at a camping site.

On the headstone is written,

"HERE LIES THE LAST PERSON CAUGHT STEALING TOILET PAPER"

Maybe the boat on a post is a similar idea.

Have fun Haji-Baba

Bowser
15-06-2010, 08:46 PM
When did Ausfish become a platform for the release of Ministerial press statements? This and another post are blatantly that. If the minister wants to get on here and have a say, then he should but to have his press secretary arrange to have his political statements published is not what I believe this forum is about.

Derek Bullock
15-06-2010, 09:35 PM
When did Ausfish become a platform for the release of Ministerial press statements? This and another post are blatantly that. If the minister wants to get on here and have a say, then he should but to have his press secretary arrange to have his political statements published is not what I believe this forum is about.

I posted this and I am certainly no press secretary for the Minister. I would have to take a pay cut to take on that job. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Actually Ausfish has been a platform for the posting of press releases since 2005 when we first started the News Section. It is a good way of keeping people informed as to what is coming out of the Ministers Office and can also lead to debate/discussion on the political side of things.

This is the quote about the board.

Discussion on conservation, press releases, politics, current and future Legislation and any other matters that have the potential to affect recreational fishing

Cheers

Derek

Flash the toad feeder
17-06-2010, 03:43 AM
I think it would be incorrect to call this bloke a recreational fisher, more like an unlicenced professional.

finga
17-06-2010, 07:39 AM
It would be a good way to gauge how people feel, and their reactions, I reckon...even if it is in incognito.

So the information has to be released. Where is the right place to release it so it targets people it concerns?
Should it have been released in the Warrego Watchman so those in Thargomindah can wrap their vege peels in it??
What's the problem in releasing information in multiple forms of print (so to speak)

I hope they read this and take up the skewered boats suggestion.
Have one boat on a big skewer (with the owners name and the details why the boat is skewered on a sign) and have the next skewer waiting (with a sign "Will you be next to get your boat skewered?" for the next boat.

Lucky_Phill
17-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Name and shame him............................

LP>

Bowser
19-06-2010, 09:50 AM
So the information has to be released. Where is the right place to release it so it targets people it concerns?
Should it have been released in the Warrego Watchman so those in Thargomindah can wrap their vege peels in it??
What's the problem in releasing information in multiple forms of print (so to speak)

Well a press release is deigned to be released to the press, either print or broadcast, not a chat board in my opinion, particularly when most press releases from both governments of either persuasion tend to be more party political statements. If you want to start a thread to comment on a statement then that is one thing, to take it verbatim and not comment is only pushing the propaganda line being taken by the current incumbents!

pueter66
19-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Take his recreational boat licence off him as well we dont need more arxxholes like him on the water. they are already breeding and multiplying. Boating and fishing etiquete has gone out the window let alone the wilfull violation of fishing laws. I sat fishing at CQ last week and watched three different boats check the same string of crabpots. The owner must have a lot of different boats. These blokes probably wouldnt care either if they were Jennies. I like the skewer the boat idea!! Cheers Pete