PDA

View Full Version : Epirb Alarm Southern Ocean......

Jarrah Jack
11-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Just heard on the radio that the American girl who is going after the youngest round the world record has switched on her epirb in the Southern Ocean .

Must be hugh swells, It was 7 meters at Portland yesterday so goodness knows what it is like way out there on your own.

Hope its a false alarm and alls well.

Noelm
11-06-2010, 02:11 PM
no flase alarm, I have been following this, she has had some bad seas and two EPIRBs have been activated, but the auto one (that is activated when submerged) has yet to activate, so from that she may be in strife, but boat still OK, she may be in deep sh!t but boat is kind of floating, or any option in between, there has been a plane sent to the last known location, mind you I am not too sure why they send a plane, all it can do is fly past and have a look.

PinHead
11-06-2010, 02:16 PM
apparently the tracker is recoring the boat is moving at 1nm/hr which, they suggest means that the keel had been ripped off and the boat is drifting.

Can only hope she is safe inside the boat.

I won't make any further comment as it will probably upset the pro JW brigade

Jarrah Jack
11-06-2010, 02:40 PM
apparently the tracker is recoring the boat is moving at 1nm/hr which, they suggest means that the keel had been ripped off and the boat is drifting.

Can only hope she is safe inside the boat.

I won't make any further comment as it will probably upset the pro JW brigade

If the keel is off she would be upside down in those conditions. My bet would be on a rollover with chaos on deck but speculation doesn't help I guess.

Noelm
11-06-2010, 03:18 PM
bit of a funny keel on her boat, it is not a traditional, deep heavy sort of thing, more a centre board setup (using the term rather broadly) more suited for speed than outright sea keeping.

FNQCairns
11-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Heard about this on the morning news, made my blood run cold, the Airbus should almost right up above by now. fingers crossed.

PinHead
11-06-2010, 03:48 PM
I just hope they find her..and soon...but what can the Airbus do but sight her.
40 hours for the first ship to get there...I am not religions but i will use the term Godspeed to wish them well in getting there ASAP.

cormorant
11-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Surprised a aircraft from the millitary from a closer nation wasn't able to get there quicker

Hope she is OK but will still be a couple of days for a boat to arrive and not a place I'd want to be in trouble with the temperatures in winter.

With all the satelites and USA Russia in these way out rescues I wonder if there is any way they can view a area they are not normally looking at and you can only hope there is a submarine out there.

I know it is 15 miles inside our specified search limit but to get a plane there faster I'm sure a millitary aircraft closer that has the ability to drop further aid and just bill us. A380 isn't cheap anyway and not the best platform and has way different safe use compared to a millitary plane.

PinHead
11-06-2010, 04:10 PM
I wonder where the hell our Orions are ??

cormorant
11-06-2010, 04:20 PM
I wonder where the hell our Orions are ??

Not got that sort of range and refuel not out of perth so unless another nations airforce could provide refuel mid air I think they would end up in the drink. Bit slow as well. Just guessing , some aircraft spotter will know more wiki has them 5000nm and 750km/h which was quicker than I thought. The A380 is 8200nm range and 1000km/h.

Can't believe all her beacons are not GPS enabled and in these remote places you would reckon you would have a UHF strapped to you and a epirp all the time. Hope the plane can make radio contact as the mental boost would be incredible and aide her survival rather than sitting there wondering if the ebprbs are OK.

The latest epirbs have several coded messages that can also be sent such as keel, OK, in water etc . I wonder if they are in general circulation yest as it could help rescuers no end knowing if she is in hull or outside and they are looking for liferaftt or survival suit. With several ebirbs they may have several targets with different drifts.

She is 2100nm away so at least the a380 will have reserve and more time to look etc.

nigelr
11-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Certainly thinking of her and her family right now, sure hope it ends well.

PinHead
11-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Speed750 km/h (405 knots) maximum, 650 km/h cruise (350 kts) at 26,000 feet, 370 km/h (200 kts) loiterEndurance

15 hours

from the RAAF website...15 hours at 650k = 9750k..she is supposedly 3500k away still leaves over 2000k for searching..and far better equipped for this type of mission.

they used one to find Bullimore and Thierry (Ithink that was the Frenchmans name)

greenie61
11-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Channel 7 news have just said the boat has been found & she is alive.

Chimo
11-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Hi All

latest
Abby is Fine! (http://soloround.blogspot.com/2010/06/abby-is-fine.html)

We have just heard from the Australian Search and Rescue. The plane arrived on the scene moments ago. Wild Eyes is upright but her rigging is down. The weather conditions are abating. Radio communication was made and Abby reports that she is fine!

We don't know much else right now. The French fishing vessel that was diverted to her location will be there in a little over 24 hours. Where they will take her or how long it will take we don't know.

More updates as news comes in.

Laurence & Marianne

cormorant
11-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Hope there is more to this and why the sat phone isn't working and why a 2nd sat phone isn't attached to her permanently. Wonder if the plane made radio contact or she made sat phone contact?

If she is upright and capable of starting a motor and cutting rigging away or jury rigging it as is the spirit of adventure it has been a hell expensive charter and a big diversion for other vessels.

If the fishing vessel picks her up and sinks or lets adrift the vessel it wouldn't surprise me as no one wants to tow anything out there.

Will wait and hear proper details not any media sensationalist reporting.

4x4frog
11-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Such good news she has been found alive. I won't say safe and well because I herad the forecast for the area she was in this morning; 100+km/h winds and 18ft seas:o :o Not the place to be without a mast or keel from the sounds of it.
As a dad, as I know many here are, I can only imagine the tide of differing emotions her parents are going through. All the time wanting the hours to wizz by so they see their girl again.

Cormorant, heard this afternoon on the way home they did make radio contact with her.

trueblue
11-06-2010, 09:59 PM
I was wondering why they didn't use the Orien aircraft as well...

strange

made me wonder if they were just trying to dodge the usual debate of unpaid cost to the military. If they charter an aircraft, its much easier to pass the bill on I guess..............

cormorant
11-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Pass the bill on ??? It is in out territorial waters and not sure what insurance they carry but we were obliged under international laws and agreements anyway.

Hope they didn't delay anything just to get into Aussie water by 15 miles from French territory I think.

Part of the keel must be for her to be floating right side up unless she cut the rig down to stay righted. Be interesting to see the photos and get more of the story when she is safe.

French have airforce and listening post on renunion Island with Transall C 160 planes ( like a 2 engine herc) with a good range on them in some configurations and also submarine detector versions. Not sure how far from renunion she was.