PDA

View Full Version : Honda Engine Warning Alarms

manboat
11-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Hi Guys,

First post so go easy on me.

I have just purchased my first boat and it's got a 2001 4 stroke 90 Honda on the back. Is there anything I can do about the fact that I have no alarms or alerts if the following happen. I get a bit nervous when I scream along for a long time without knowing what’s happening with the engine.

Engine gets to hot
Oil is low
Water Pressure is low

In my old man’s old Haynes he had all these warnings on his Evinrude. Is it as simple installing the gauges and wirering in the senders just like in a car?

Thanks

Noelm
11-06-2010, 10:06 AM
it should have those (or at least some of them) why are they not fitted? Spaniard King is the resident Honda guru, he will be able to shed some light on this for you.

Jarrah Jack
11-06-2010, 10:32 AM
You're right to be concerned if there are no alarms at all. Did you ask the guy you brought the motor off? As Noel said Spaniard King will have all the answers. You can send him a PM. If you are lucky enough to live in his area you'll have found yourself the right man to look after your motor from here on.

manboat
11-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the quick reply

All I have is RPM and Trim nothing else

Noelm
11-06-2010, 11:06 AM
are you sure there is no alarms? there may not be gauges, but should have a warning alarm/siren/horn

manboat
11-06-2010, 11:18 AM
are you sure there is no alarms? there may not be gauges, but should have a warning alarm/siren/horn

That I can't be sure off. I will have a good look again for some sort of sounding device

Spaniard_King
11-06-2010, 11:20 AM
The Alarm speaker is located withing the control box

Noelm
11-06-2010, 11:32 AM
is it supposed to sound for a jiffy when the key is turned on?

Reel Force
11-06-2010, 03:24 PM
On the forward controls there will be 2 lights, 1 for motor temp and the other for oil level. These will light up as well as an alarm sounds if there is a problem. Thats what my 2002 had i think they would be the same.

Russ

manboat
11-06-2010, 03:33 PM
On the forward controls there will be 2 lights, 1 for motor temp and the other for oil level. These will light up as well as an alarm sounds if there is a problem. Thats what my 2002 had i think they would be the same.

Russ

Thanks I don't remember seeing anything that looks like it could be a light on the control box but will have a good look

Spaniard_King
11-06-2010, 03:37 PM

Russ

Russ, There is a Green Light and a Red Light.. the Red Light will come on when an overheat situation exists. The Green Light will go out when a low "Oil Pressure" exists. both scenarios should be acompanied by an alarm. There are no oil level alarms on any Honda outboards

Also there are aditional alarm situations and variants between EFI and Carby engines

manboat
12-06-2010, 12:19 PM
I found the "light" it's actually towards the bottom of the control so looking at the controls you can't see it but they are there and there's a green light on...which is a good thing I am guessing.

Thanks guys

no chicken tonight
12-06-2010, 07:50 PM
might be worth reading the manuals. especially if its your first boat.

Spaniard_King
12-06-2010, 08:01 PM
NCT

hows the fishin goin... tuff from all reports .

Might have to jump on with you so you can show me the ropes..I cant catch a cold ATM

One thing tho.. I will have to bring me chooks :)