PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 Kevlacat towing weight

Haines Boy
10-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Can anyone who actually owns or has owned a 6.2 tournament or pro sport KC please advise towing weight.
Could you also indicate how much fuel is in the total and if the trailer is ally or gal.
Have searched for this info with no joy thus far.
Pretty keen on these models if I can tow em.
Cheers HB

Dean1
10-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Roughly 2500kgs by memory??

Dont quote me on that but thats my guess.

Deano.

Flex
10-06-2010, 09:29 PM
My mate has a 6.2 Centre console KC. Al trailer across the weigh bridge full fuel no gear was 2.9 Tonnes. She's a heavy sucker.

Noelm
11-06-2010, 01:04 PM
My mate has one and I have towed it heaps of times, and I can tell you it is bloody heavy, regardless of what weight it was when it was made, it weighs heaps now, it has a steel trailer, lots of crap on board, a couple of near new 115HP 2 strokes, and a water tank that he does not use and is half full, why he doesn't empty it is beyond me, he is going to sell it soon if anyone is interested.

Noelm
11-06-2010, 01:12 PM
OK, just called my mate, he reckons (from memory mind you) that when his boat was new and it had just motors and tailer, with no gear and very limited fuel (this was with very light 90HP Yamaha 2 strokes) it was 2450KG on a weigh bridge, still hooked up to the car, so if you add a couple hundred litres of fuel, the bit of weight that does not get weighed because it is on the car, a pile of crap and gear/bait/eskies etc then I reckon it would be getting up close to 3 tonnes all up, anybody reckon he is right, or has a bad memory?

krill
11-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Sounds right to me.

Haines Boy
12-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Thanks for calling your mate NoelM. I was hoping to keep the tow weight under 2.5t. Which is perhaps a phurphy considering the extra windage associated with towing a cat.
But for the sake of the exercise if the steel trailer were a ally one, i'm told they are 220kgs lighter, that would leave room for gear and then some.
Noel what 2strokes does your mate have and is his KC a mark1 or 2.

Cheers HB

Dean1
12-06-2010, 08:55 AM
The moulds for the mulitcat are for sale on ebay i found this morn :o

Noelm
12-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks for calling your mate NoelM. I was hoping to keep the tow weight under 2.5t. Which is perhaps a phurphy considering the extra windage associated with towing a cat.
But for the sake of the exercise if the steel trailer were a ally one, i'm told they are 220kgs lighter, that would leave room for gear and then some.
Noel what 2strokes does your mate have and is his KC a mark1 or 2.

Cheers HB
he now has carby 115HP Johnsons that be got new, but were about a year old, the 90 Yamahas were only just OK, not great power really, his boat is an early one.

Haines Boy
12-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Really Dean, bit of a coincidence. Not really in the new boat market but food for thought.
Anyone else with a 6.2 KC on an ally trailer to compare weight?
Please mention how much fuel and motors (type) when weighed.
A 6.2 MK1 with 115 optis with full pods on ally trailer my dream ship.

HB

Flex
12-06-2010, 08:03 PM
As I mentioned above, my friends is a 6.2KC centre console, so its probably a a fair bit lighter than a cab version.

He has 140suzuki 4 strokes on it, Alloy trailer, twin 250l fuel tanks+ 4 batteries and a little bit of gear (no esky's or other gear) and it weighed 2.9 Tonne.

If you added a cabin+ full esky's you'd well over 3 tonnes.. even with alloy trailer.

But he tows his with a 3l Hilux, and 30-40km to the ramp is fine. but you wouldn't wanna be towing up and down the coast

Haines Boy
13-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Thanks Flex. Looks like a vehicle upgrade if I want to get serious about this boat.
Will be towing 400klms regularly.
Would that 2.9t have included 500lts of fuel.
And just as a side thought are those suzis sitting on full, as in hull line pods.
Did your mate always have those motors or has he re- powered.
Curious to know if it rides much different with the weight of them?
Thanks fellas
HB

Flex
13-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Yeah 2.9ton was close to full fuel, but no gear.

Its got standard small pods(as in not Hull line)

It used to be powered with 90 Yamaha 2 strokes. which were ok but he wanted 4 strokes for more range.

It does sit low in the bum, water comes in the back if there is 3 of you down there. IMO the 140hp isn't needed, especially on a CC.

It has a top speed of 90+ km/h, which is hardly ever needed. but handy on some occasions as it closes the gap on alot of places you may not bother going

Ride wise I never went in it with the 90's on, so I cant comment.
His economy is almost twice as good now aswell.

Mister
13-06-2010, 07:45 PM
your mate have and is his KC a mark1 or 2.

Cheers HB

What's the difference between a mark1 or 2?

Mister
13-06-2010, 07:49 PM
But he tows his with a 3l Hilux

2.9t with a 3l hilux? Doesn't sound real clever does it?

Flex
13-06-2010, 08:27 PM
No it doesn't.

When he bought it he was told it only weights 2 tonnes, being a CC and alloy trailer.

So after weighing it he's now upgrading to a landcruiser.....

But surprisingly his Hilux does tow it reasonably well, you just wouldn't wanna be towing it hundreds of KM's along the coast.

Mister
13-06-2010, 09:04 PM
So it's only just been weighed? How long has this hilux being towing this thing? Should have been very obvious from day 1 with 3t behind a hilux, the tail would have been wagging the dog.

Haines Boy
14-06-2010, 06:24 AM
Hi Mister. The mark 1 had no wave breaker in the bow between the hulls. The mark 2 does. Some say the wave breaker caused broaching in some following sea conditions. Can't verify that from personal experience though.
Mister I noticed in the Hydrofield post you seem to have some knowledge about them. If so are they a good thing? that is do they successfully combine the favorable characteristics of both a mono and a cat or are they a different beast all together?
Thanks HB

Flex
14-06-2010, 10:38 AM
So it's only just been weighed? How long has this hilux being towing this thing? Should have been very obvious from day 1 with 3t behind a hilux, the tail would have been wagging the dog.

Yeah it was heavy and fairly apparent it was to heavy, but no steering/swaying issues. And in reality can anyone on here say they can tell the difference between say 2.5t and 2.9t? maybe if you changing weight immediately, but otherwise i doubt it.

When you see a KC at an awesome price like my mate did. You snap it up and worry about the details later:) eg upgrade car.

HB, his must be a Mark 1. he has no wave breaker.

On a side note, I remember travelling up to shoalwater from yeppoon in very rough conditions. We came up along side a 6.5-7m Hydrofield,for about 2 mins . which is the time it took us to fly past him and lose sight in the swells.

From watching the Hydro they still look like they ride like a mono, one we past was pounding into the swell fairly hard.

That said it was infront of the 7m haines and and few platey's we past earlier

Smithy
14-06-2010, 10:53 AM
I know one Hydrofield man who used to say "when the monos are coming home the cats are thinking about it and when the cats are coming home the tris are thinking about it!". I am yet to go in a little tri, only a big 28'er many years ago so I can't really comment. I also used to hate the 30' and up charter cats I used to go out in but the little cats like 5.2 and 6.2 KCs etc. are a different kettle of fish and I like them.