PDA

View Full Version : New wheel clamp

Ratman
10-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Hi,

Has anyone heard of these wheel clamps?

'Rock Solid' by arkcorporation.

They attach to a wheel stud and claim to be strong yet light weight.

Any better than any of the others?

http://www.arkcorporation.com/Products/Locks/Wheel-Locks/CWC300D/flypage-ask.tpl.html (http://www.arkcorporation.com/Products/Locks/Wheel-Locks/CWC300D/flypage-ask.tpl.html)

Getting sick of hearing of boats being stolen from front yards etc.

Mick

Fatenhappy
10-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Hey Mick haven't heard of them but look the goods ...

I traditionally use the gripping "U" shaped round the rim both sides jobby, but this fella stops them taking the rim off at all .... that is unless they pop the whole wheel and bearing off ... mungrels! ....>:(

peterbo3
10-06-2010, 08:39 PM
I just do not know.:-[:-[:-[:-[ The battery powered 100mm grinder with a cutting wheel has changed all the rules.
It might be better to invest in an onboard GPS tracking & Alarm system. That is where I am going. I will adhere to Suncorp minimum security requirements but only to keep my policy alive.

Ratman
10-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Yep, might invest in an alarm myself. Let us know which way you go Peter.

It took me too long to find and spend too much coin to lose me rig to some greaser.

Mick

Daisy Burnett
10-06-2010, 10:13 PM
I just do not know.:-[:-[:-[:-[ The battery powered 100mm grinder with a cutting wheel has changed all the rules.
It might be better to invest in an onboard GPS tracking & Alarm system. That is where I am going. I will adhere to Suncorp minimum security requirements but only to keep my policy alive.

Where can I see these gps alarms??? Is there a web site for them. I asume they are a GPS tracking button you just adhere to your boat????

peterbo3
10-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Mick,
The GPS/Alarm units are fairly cheap if you import them. But there is a snag. They need to be monitored by somebody like Chubb, so you are forced to use their "not so fairly cheap" units. Plus there is the monitoring fee.
I am doing some more research next week & will check if discounts are available for "group" purchases. If we can get a few people together there may be some reasonable savings but we shall see.
There are solar powered "in boat" alarms with remote push button activators but you need to have neighbours who will come out when the alarm goes off if you are away. Stand by for more..................;);););)

peterbo3
10-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Where can I see these gps alarms??? Is there a web site for them. I asume they are a GPS tracking button you just adhere to your boat????

Daisy, Go here for an example: http://gotrack.com.au/?gclid=CM2bw6HAlaICFYYvpAodM33NDQ Google "GPS tracking device" There are plenty out there............just need the right one.

cormorant
10-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Bolt cutters look like they would open wide enough to make that wheel clam a waste of time. Still a deterrent but.....

Angryant
11-06-2010, 05:55 AM
I have done a fair bit of research into the GPS option specifically for trailers. The problem as I see it at the moment is that 95% of products available require 12v power, the battery backup will only last up to 48-72 hours. I am looking for a solar panel small enough to power the unit so I can incorporate a GPS unit into our portable alarm. Still a way to go though. On a side note - you don't necessarily need to have them monitored by Chubb etc. There are units that will allow you to set a perimeter around your boat. If the boat breaches the perimeter it will SMS your mobile and you can then live track it on computer (whilst talking to the police). This is how I will be doing mine.

PinHead
11-06-2010, 06:03 AM
on the wheel clamps..agter the problem I had with one..a Defender brand..the battery powered grinder took seconds to cut it off..a complete waste of money.

finga
11-06-2010, 07:11 AM
Yep, the battery grinders with those 1mm cutting discs will make light work of those clamps.
They're only light walled RHS.
Now if they were solid then it might be a deterent. But heavy :)

cormorant
11-06-2010, 11:16 AM
If the clamp doesn't satisfy your insurer it is a waste of time and only a small deterrant. Even with new angle grinders anything is better than nothing but better to buy quality first time and keep it for years.

The geofence is Ok for GPS alarms but smart thieves see the unit and disable it before removing it from the area ( geofence) You can set some to call home every xx hours with a sms with it's co-ordinates and if it doesn't sms you you know something is up. You really nead a external tilt sensor as a trigger as well Assumably the boat is on the trailer when they want to steal it so having it in the boat and connected direct to the boat battery ( will last years ) and many more places to conceal it. With a external sensor in the boat you can set a trigger to the cover etc so it catches teh pilferers as well. You also need one with a external output to let the horn or a small pieze to go nuts to attrract attention and disturb them to make em choose a easier target.

As for trailer theft at ramps when boat is off , hitch helmets , wheel clamp,extra padlock on 2nd hardened chaim to towbar and ensure that nuts on trailer hitch are peened ,dab od weld and hitch has a lock. They will choose another trailer. Paint some markings on it in abright colour is another turn off for em and stamp your VIN in half a dozen less obvious spots or even Data dot it to really stuff em up if they get caught.

The other way if you think the trailer is a small movement operated camera with a SD card in it attached to the inside of the rear window. Some can trigger a sms to you as well and you get seconds of footage each time it is triggered and you even see the "lookers"as well as the thieves.

Intersted to see what others find, gotta keep ahead of the thieves and new equipment that is getting so cheap

Honestly the police should run a few stings with these things as they would recognise half the usual suspects. It is a crap feeling to come back to the ramp and find a pilfered trailer. Between me and mates we have had mudguards gone, rollers, split pins, a winch and the usual shackles.

alcam2001
11-06-2010, 11:21 AM
The only way to improve grinder/boltcutter resistance is to make it noisier, and take longer, than a thief is willing to risk it. Bolt cutters and grinders have surprising problems cutting thick wire strand cable (say 15mm) - takes longer and much more frustrating - than 15mm chain or steel bar etc. You could use that, or try 20mm hardened chain concreted into your driveway and wrapped around trailer axle.
Personally, I use regular chains and clamp - but rely on the fact that only a serious loser would bother to steal my 25 year old 'heap of junk' boat. And insurance.

Ratman
11-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Some good ideas there.

I had a look at these alarm systems but I hate alarms. Too many false activations on the home system and no one takes much notice usually.

Probably set the thing off by mistake, loading the boat up at 3am. Neighbours would be impressed.

http://www.cuda-alarms.com.au/

Mick

team_mongo
11-06-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm getting a mytrak for my new boat.

http://www.tracertrak.com.au/recreational_specifications.php

It's got geofencing, motion detector, Self powered, 7 years battery life, water proof and can be placed anywhere with a view of the sky.

SMS you when it moves, hourly updates, and web interface which allows the mrs to check where off the shelf I am::)

George

O-3
11-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Some good ideas there.

I had a look at these alarm systems but I hate alarms. Too many false activations on the home system and no one takes much notice usually.

Probably set the thing off by mistake, loading the boat up at 3am. Neighbours would be impressed.

http://www.cuda-alarms.com.au/

Mick

I have one of these and yes I have forgotten to disarm it a couple of times. It is not very loud (compared to a screamer on a house) and goes off after 15 seconds anyway.

I think they are a good addition to a wheel lock/hitch helmet etc as the alarm will go off when the thieves start tampering with those parts of the trailer.

O-3
11-06-2010, 08:47 PM
on the wheel clamps..agter the problem I had with one..a Defender brand..the battery powered grinder took seconds to cut it off..a complete waste of money.

The same can be said with any trailer lock.

The point is it is going to be a hassle and make a lot of noise for anyone that cuts it off.

White Pointer
11-06-2010, 09:04 PM
G'day,

The wireless controlled home alarm systems allow for "structures" remote from the house itself to be added to the system. Adding a boat to the system should not be all that hard.

When my trailer is connected to the car, if I cycle the locks on and off the trailer is added to the car security. If someone disconnects the trailer the car alarm goes off - and it's bloody loud.

Club Marine insurance require that a boat is (at least) stored behind a locked gate. They specifically said that trailer locking devices were not good enough.

So I have done all that I can reasonably do to protect my insurer's interests.

Regards,

White Pointer

peterbo3
11-06-2010, 09:59 PM
I think the ideal system would be 12V, separate battery with solar panel & a simple movement detection switch inside the boat. Crims may not get into the boat, but they are going to have to lift that drawbar on my boat & most other boats if they want to move it. I keep my jockey wheel lowered which seems fairly common practice.
Mercury switch or similar should the job. The switches can monitor the change of angle & are available in different configurations. Think builders level. Bubble in centre, lift one end of level & bubble moves. Big siren in the boat with a handheld remote. Reasonably cheap but simple & portable if you trailer up the coast. Plus the hitch helmet & the special wire rope which is claimed to be harder to cut although that claim needs checking.;D;D;D;D And Suncorp.
The GPS tracking units which are linked to your computer or phone are good but the fees are savage.

What do people think about that? Shoot me down, I don't mind. Better to find out my idea is a bummer here rather than after I buy the stuff.:-[:-[:-[:-[

PinHead
11-06-2010, 10:12 PM
The same can be said with any trailer lock.

The point is it is going to be a hassle and make a lot of noise for anyone that cuts it off.

if you have the trailer already hooked up to the tow vehicle..by the time you start the grinder and make the cut...most people would still be trying to work out what the sound is and what is happening..and the crims are gone. DeWalt 18V grinder and 4" disc..only takes seconds to cut through one..i have done it.

and you are right..easy to cut most locks...a padlock is a bit harder that nthe pathetic metal used on wheel clamps..just some rhs.

cormorant
11-06-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm getting a mytrak for my new boat.

http://www.tracertrak.com.au/recreational_specifications.php

It's got geofencing, motion detector, Self powered, 7 years battery life, water proof and can be placed anywhere with a view of the sky.

SMS you when it moves, hourly updates, and web interface which allows the mrs to check where off the shelf I am::)

George

Mate how much are they ?

What are the ongoig costs?

What discount is your insurer offering?

Unless they are satelite tranmition bases there is iffy phone coverage at the shelf without a decent aerial so wife will be blind or am I missing something.

Just found the pricing

http://www.tracertrak.com.au/recreational_details.php

$800 and then $40 per month as you need movment alarms?

O-3
11-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Club Marine insurance require that a boat is (at least) stored behind a locked gate.

So what happens if my boat gets knocked off and it is not behind a locked gate??

I am insured with Club Marine and my boat is not behind a gate:-?

finga
12-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Probably nothing.
An old couple up here just got robbed twice in 10 days.
They took some old tapes, a wallet and purse, a mobile phone, a bucket of lose change and 2 cake tins (still don't know why the cake tins). The purse had just over $1,000 in it.
We installed a recording video system with 4 cameras and the insurance offered $0 discount because of the system.
The rep was there for the yearly renewal thingo when we were setting the hard drive up for auto motion recording.
He probably wasn't too happy though when he left because they sacked the insurance company. They lost over $80,000 per annum in insurance premiums because of that little decision.
He should have known. He had their policy in his hands ::)

team_mongo
12-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Mate how much are they ?

What are the ongoig costs?

Unless they are satelite tranmition bases there is iffy phone coverage at the shelf without a decent aerial so wife will be blind or am I missing something.

Just found the pricing

http://www.tracertrak.com.au/recreational_details.php

$800 and then $40 per month as you need movment alarms?

Mate, the pricing plans on that website are a bit confusing.

have a look at http://www.gpstrackingaustralia.com.au/mytrak.html, its a fair bit clearer.

Daily update, SMS when it moves, with hourly updates. Fortnightly device status report including battery life indicator.

$25 a month which includes a daily notification
50c a notification
25c an update

Does not use the cellular network, uses satellite phone network. Have seen it used it 200 nm offshore.

Not sure about the discount, the boat is ready in about 2 weeks, so we'll see then.

George

Spaniard_King
14-06-2010, 09:52 PM
So what happens if my boat gets knocked off and it is not behind a locked gate??

I am insured with Club Marine and my boat is not behind a gate:-?a

Have you told them it is behind a locked gate.. if so then you may have issues:o