PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Fraser

Getout
08-06-2010, 08:33 PM
When fishing out off Wide Bay Bar , does anyone launch out of Carlo Pt at Rainbow or is Tin Can the best bet security wise?

=Wookie=
08-06-2010, 08:47 PM
I prefer Tin Can myself.

3rd degree
08-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Just had my car n trailer in the car park at Tin Can for a week and no issues.

Cheers

Jim

Getout
09-06-2010, 06:48 AM
Thanks guys, I have done Tin Can a few times, but Carlo is much closer to the bar. The parking area looks dodgy!

rainbow runner
09-06-2010, 07:50 AM
If you are worried about security you can put the car and trailer in a secure carpark about two minutes up Carlo road.

There is a taxi service in rainbow that can drop you back at the ramp, you can also ring them on the way in from the bar to be waiting at the ramp

the caravan park at Carlo point may also allow you to park on their ground fir a nominal fee

Reefmaster
09-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys, I have done Tin Can a few times, but Carlo is much closer to the bar. The parking area looks dodgy!

Mate from what your saying I would think you are talking about Bollock Point boat ramp down towards inskip point? dirt road down to a dodgy as hell ramp.

Going from Tin can bay ramp saves you about 20-30 minutes drive on the road and it wouldn't even be 5 minutes more on the water compared to leaving the Carlo ramp.

Tin can bay ramp is by far the quickest option.

Greg

Getout
09-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks Greg, right you are. I was confusing Carlo with Bullock Pt.
I think I'll just do the Tin Can thing again.
Have you anchored in the DI Lagoon lately? I plan to hide in there on Sat nite, but haven't been there for a few months, so I am hoping I can find my way in there in the dark and that its not too shallow at the entrance?

Rodpal
09-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Going from Tin can bay ramp saves you about 20-30 minutes drive on the road and it wouldn't even be 5 minutes more on the water compared to leaving the Carlo ramp.

Tin can bay ramp is by far the quickest option.

Greg

is there a caravan park or camping ground near by the tin can bay ramp you could recomend for a weekend stopover and would you be able to do a bit of muckin about in a 420 tinnie for the weekend around there

where do you get local charts for areas like this from?

cheers rod

3rd degree
09-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Plenty to do in a 4.2... Not sure on the camping side of things.

Pretty suree you can get charts from sunmap.

mattyd
10-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Rodpal - I recently took my 5.3m cuddy cab to Kingfisher caravan / camping ground and my fiancee and I had a fantastic 3 days up there.

We camped in our tent (powered site - very luxury ;) and the owners Ernie & Sue were really nice people. Ernie is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to local fishing spots and is only too happy to share tips. Boats are more than welcome as they have plenty of parking in amongst the local residents.

Amenities is pretty basic, but very clean (great pressure showers too!).

The boat ramp was only 1min up the road and 15mins from launch you'll be at Inskip Pt.

Can recommend for a great long w'end.

Reefmaster
10-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks Greg, right you are. I was confusing Carlo with Bullock Pt.
I think I'll just do the Tin Can thing again.
Have you anchored in the DI Lagoon lately? I plan to hide in there on Sat nite, but haven't been there for a few months, so I am hoping I can find my way in there in the dark and that its not too shallow at the entrance?

Mate I was up there a few weeks back and came in during the night to get out of a predicted se change and big swell increase. I had been up there at Easter with the missus so i saw how much the lagoon had changed and knew i wouldnt get into the lagoon unless it was a mid to high tide and with the swell increase i may not have got my way back out of it. The next morning all boats were anchored up outside the lagoon and tinnies were launching from the outside the lagoon so it must have impossible to get in or out of the lagoon

The lagoon has changed a lot recently and I climbed the big sand hill at easter and took some photos of where the channel is now positioned. Not sure if it's changed much since then but I don't believe so. Looks like this weekend is a blow out.

pic1 is looking back where the lagoon entrance use to be which has completely sanded up.

Pic2 and 3 is now the new entrance.

Regards
Greg

Rodpal
10-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Plenty to do in a 4.2... Not sure on the camping side of things.

Pretty suree you can get charts from sunmap.

Rodpal - I recently took my 5.3m cuddy cab to Kingfisher caravan / camping ground and my fiancee and I had a fantastic 3 days up there.

We camped in our tent (powered site - very luxury ;) and the owners Ernie & Sue were really nice people. Ernie is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to local fishing spots and is only too happy to share tips. Boats are more than welcome as they have plenty of parking in amongst the local residents.

Amenities is pretty basic, but very clean (great pressure showers too!).

The boat ramp was only 1min up the road and 15mins from launch you'll be at Inskip Pt.

Can recommend for a great long w'end.

thanks very much for your feedback guys tin can bay here we come and it looks like you worked very hard for some nice and informative pic's there reefmaster

cheers rod

Reefmaster
10-06-2010, 11:02 AM
thanks very much for your feedback guys tin can bay here we come and it looks like you worked very hard for some nice and informative pic's there reefmaster

cheers rod

Damn right i worked hard to get those pics Rod. I almost died by the time I got to top to take some photos;D

Greg P
10-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Another 10 meters higher would have been better Greg - wasnt there any bigger sand dunes around ;D;D;D

Reefmaster
10-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Another 10 meters higher would have been better Greg - wasnt there any bigger sand dunes around ;D;D;D
hahahah nope that was the biggest dune around...actually i could have climbed a nice size tree at the top to get a bit higher.. I will try harder next time:)

Getout
11-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks Greg, The lagoon is out of bounds by the looks. The weather is crap this weekend so it looks like a failed mission.