PDA

View Full Version : Best 5.5m boat ?

Lancair
08-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Hi Guys,
Im on the hunt for a new boat. An upgrade from my 4.2m tinny, something capable of getting offshore on more days than I can now, something with enough room to sleep 2 small kids and up to 2 adults on stretchers. Thinking of o/n trips around the pin etc for me a my boys. Something easy for 1 bloke to handle launching and retrieving.

So far Ive pretty much set my search on a Seafarer Viking 5.5m an early 2000's model or late 1990's model.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other boats that may fit the bill ? ? Looking to spend about 35K.

Lancair

Chimo
08-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Hi Lancair

Have you considered a second hand Seafarer Victory (5.9) with a hull thats been detailed and polished and is in very good nick?

I looked at one for a friend today and I dont think he wants it as he is still to make up his mind about what to buy.

Less money than your budget too and it will have new clears, a new storage / camping cover and i was told a few other things in need of repairs will also be fixed. Its on a braked tinka trailer.

Cheers
Chimo

Lancair
08-06-2010, 07:31 PM
PM sent Chimo
The VBictory was my 1st pic, but I was thinking a Victory would be getting too big for one bloke to handle alone.

hakuna
08-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Lanclair,

It is how you set them up which governs the ability to handle it with 1 person.
If you set it up with a drive off trailer, use a boat latch launch and retrieve system and set up your anchoring system on a painter and a lifting buoy then fishing with 1 person is not a hassle. I do it with a 7m boat with no problems.

cheers

Jarrah Jack
08-06-2010, 09:04 PM
If you are after something a bit smaller I found on ebay a Haines Sig 542f 115 yami 85 hrs @ 30k so there are some good boats about at that price bracket.

As Hakuna said its all about how you set them up and being confident with the launch and retrievel, especially being one up. If there are any dramas you will be reluctant to take the boat out sometimes which is against the reason for having the boat in the first place. It can also depend on the quality of the ramp facilities, especially in a side wind.

jtpython
08-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Cruise Craft Outsider would suit you to a T
I have a CC Explorer 5.5 awesome
JT
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/jtpython/wagscam005.jpg
More fishing room in Explorer and more cabin room in Outsider models

Lancair
08-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Yeah JT, if I didnt have a budget to consider then a Cruise Craft Outsider 575 or bigger would be first on my list. I dream about them LOL.

Another consideration I have is storage. I dont have undercover storage but I do have an area beside the house that is lockable but not huge. I am prepared to do some renovations to the weed patch and clothesline to create more room though.;D

Lancair

bden
08-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Have you considered a Haines Signature 550C?

I own one of these and are capable offshore and offer a very good size cabin at the expense of some fishing room?

If fishing was the highest priority I would consider a boat with larger deck area at back however a big plus is the Freeboard which I believe is the best of any 5.5M boat.

Like all boats it is a compromise but given your requirements seems to be well worth a look?

Brett

Jono_SS
09-06-2010, 05:53 AM
If you are happy with a 2 stroke, then you should find millions of boats that fit the bill. I was a bit picky, being after a low hour 4 stroke, which are rare and add to the price. But eventually I found one on a 2004 Mustang 1750. I haven't been offshore in it yet, but I'm pretty sure it'll be fine seeing as up 'til now I've been going offshore in my 4.5m tiller steer tinny.

I was also looking in the slightly-smaller-than-5.5 range, which also narrowed the choice. Max towing weight was a factor - couldn't go above 1500kg fully loaded.

One of the little things that was important in that range was the fold-down rear lounge to mamimise fishing space...Some of the smaller cuddy cabs have some strange lounge and transom setups that appear to eat into the cockpit space.

The cabin in the Mustang is big enough for my family (wife and 2 young kids), but I plan to roll out the swag on the deck. At an absolute pinch, I can straighten out diagonally inside the cabin (I'm just under 6 foot).

good luck with your exciting searching.

Jono.

ps - Smithy should have some good suggestions - he's always looking at boats!

kevy
09-06-2010, 10:50 AM
hi lancair. bought a seafarer viking new in 1981 & fished every weekend when weather permitted, also fished bermagui & montagui is. for a week in march every year a great sea boat brought me home in some shocking conditions, sold 3 years ago & still miss it, the hull was in a good a condition as when bought, cheers, kevy.

death_ship
09-06-2010, 08:18 PM
early 2000 haines 580 breeze with 4 stroke go for around that money now and then if you keep your eyes peeled

Lancair
10-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Well Ive put my current boat on boatpoint. So now just need to wait until its sold now.